PDA

View Full Version : FREE iPOD?!? Too good to be true?

hotwire132002
Jun 17, 2004, 11:59 AM
On the MacRumors home page, I came across a Google Ad for *********.com (or was FreeiPod.com...close enough...)

Anyway, they say you get a free iPod for using one of the offers. I was thinking AOL free trial. Anyone know whether this is legit? I don't want to be scammed/contracted into having to pay for any sort of subscription....

MacDawg
Jun 17, 2004, 12:14 PM
Anything too good to be true, usually is...

djkny
Jun 17, 2004, 01:23 PM
the only thing that's ever free is the grace of Yeshua.

applemacdude
Jun 17, 2004, 01:27 PM
Dont even try...

hotwire132002
Jun 17, 2004, 01:41 PM
Dont even try...

That's what I figured. Just thought I'd find out if anyone did.

jknight8907
Jun 17, 2004, 01:49 PM
Too good to be true?

Yes.

svenr
Jun 17, 2004, 01:57 PM
What is easier:

Browse to Macrumors, find the right forum, start a new thread, type up a long question, wait for good answers (if any)

or

read the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy on that website?

decapitacion
Jun 17, 2004, 02:23 PM
once you sign up for the initial offer, they proceed to send you an email explaining that you have to sign up for another 5 offers... then MAYBE you get your ipod. nuts to it all.

svenr
Jun 17, 2004, 03:06 PM
once you sign up for the initial offer, they proceed to send you an email explaining that you have to sign up for another 5 offers...

This is all clearly listed in their Terms&Condis linked right on their homepage:

4. Being eligible to receive a free iPod

(a) Users must refer at least 5 friends to the site who must sign up, and correctly complete an offer from the site under the Terms listed above.

Also interesting:

...the user agrees to receive periodic emails about special offers on our website.... *********.com does not maintain email lists and cannot remove a user from the email newsletter

4. Cancellation of Account.

(a) There is no way to cancel an account.

2. Failure to be credited for an offer

(a) *********.com does not guarantee that a user will receive credit for an offer.

(d) *********.com makes every effort to deal with honest companies. However, it is not responsible for possible unwanted emails as a result of signing up for any of the affiliates on our website.

Wouldn't that make it clear to everyone what you're dealing with? I can't even say that ppl are too lazy to read, because coming here and posting or even going ahead and trying it to see what happens is clearly more work. What is it then?

Whatever it is, people who don't bother to read are the reason sites like ********* exist.