Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyers486

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Philadelphia Area, Jersey Side
I have recently decided to attend MacWorld NY this year as a way to feel out the Apple side of the industry. I also plan on purchasing a new computer sometime soon and can't decide which model Mac or PC to purchase (some may remember me from my earlier posts on the same issue). It is dificult for me to see the light of Mac when a system such as this comes allong in my Best Buy add this morning:

VPR Matrix
Pentium 4 2.53GHz
15 inch Samsung LCD Flat Panel
Canon Color Printer
Altec Lansing 3-Piece Speaker system
533MHz Front-side bus
512 MB DDR Ram
Dual 80 GIG Hard drives (7200 RPM)
16X Max DVD-ROM
DVD-RW Drive
128MB DDR nVidia GForce4 Ti4200 graphics card
10/100 networking (ethernet right?)
6 USB 2.0 ports
2 Firewire ports

Total Price: $1899.96

Although I love the OS X operating system, and the iApps apple supplies are stellar, it is dificult for me to look past this system when a Mac for the same price holds far less of its power. Unless Apple releases considerable upgrades at MacWorld NYC for agreeable prices in its iMac model, I will have difficulty in letting this offer pass me up. Does anyone see my logic? Does anyone see an error in my ways? Thank You.

Greg

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Flyers486
That oughta do the trick:rolleyes:

Well yes it would........

Heads = mac
Tails = that pc thingy.........

Simplicity itself.........

Beautifully f**king illustrated...... ;)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
well, the only thing i found in the bestbuy ad matching that desciption is an alienware thats 2899 not 1899. for that price a great mac and screen can be had.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Look...

If you want to have problems, and ugly computer, an out of date computer (4 months) and stuff, buy the PC.

If you want to have a really nice looking, fast, quiet, easy to use, powerful, ALWAYS working computer, get a mac.

I mean, is it really that hard? Why dont you first go to BestBuy's computer section, then go to an Apple Store...okay?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
With a Mac, you get OS X, with a peecee, you get windblows heXPee (home or pro, but blow :eek: ).

With a Mac, you get a svelte design, with the peecee, you get a box. :D

With the Mac (G4 processor) you can look forward to several years of use, with the peecee, you will be looking to upgrade in a year or two (if you last that long).

The PowerMac (towers) systems are a snap to install PCI cards, memory and drives, 99% of the peecee cases will cut you up when you attempt any upgrades.

If you really MUST get a peecee, build one don't purchase a pre-built system. That way, you can put whatever you need into it. Also, don't go with an intel processor, use AMD. You get a quality chip with AMD for about half the cost (if not less) then if you go with one from intel. You can also pick up a copy of win2k, and not feed the m$ beast as much of your green.

One other thing, if you are getting a LCD display, other then one from Apple, I would ONLY recommend getting a ViewSonic model. I have one here at home, and it is the balls. 17.4" viewable (VG175), no pixel anomalies (at all) with inputs for two systems (you could buy a Mac tower, build a peecee and attach them both to the same screen. :eek: :D The screen goes up to 1280x1024 and provides a display that is sharper then a razor. If you have limited desktop space, then wall mount it (uses standard VESA mounts) and swing it out of the way when you are not using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.