PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to GPRS via Bluetooth g4 powerbook

kelvinz
Jun 17, 2004, 12:56 PM
I've been able to connect my powerbook g4 rev c with my sony ericsson t610 to gprs with no problems but the connection speed is approximatley only that of a 16k modem.

Is there anyway to make it faster? I'm also using tmobile gprs and am subscribed for unlimited service, yet it seems I can't start a secure connection ie."https://"

I also don't seem to be able to connect to aim or msn?

any help would be appreciated.

LeeTom
Jun 17, 2004, 03:16 PM
For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat (powerbook, t610, t-mobile), and I have the same problems. No secure connections, and it's slow (but I expected that). Good luck!

Lee Tom

kgarner
Jun 17, 2004, 04:21 PM
I'm also using tmobile gprs and am subscribed for unlimited service
Is that the $19.99 unlimited plan? If it is you should be able to access any port. If it is just the T-Zones then you only have access to port 80, 25, whatever IMAP uses and the secure versions of IMAP and SMTP. I have connected to secure sites by using a proxy server on port 80. It is not secure but I can access some of the sites I need to that I don't care about being really secure with. I have done that for FTP as well.

josepho
Jun 17, 2004, 04:26 PM
Remember that the TOP speed for GPRS is approximately 43kb/sec, that's with a 100% signal, no-one else sharing the GPRS circuits on the network, etc., so it's very unusual to get speeds anywhere near that speed. I'd expect to maybe get between about what you're getting and maybe 25kb/sec... There's not a hell of a lot you can do - perhaps just keep bugging T-Mo customer services to see if they can improve their GPRS service.

Just wait a couple of years, and hopefully you'll be able to hook up to a 3G (wCDMA or CDMA2000) service at about 300kb/sec. That will be sweeeeeeeeeet ;)

kelvinz
Jun 17, 2004, 06:22 PM
Is that the $19.99 unlimited plan? If it is you should be able to access any port. If it is just the T-Zones then you only have access to port 80, 25, whatever IMAP uses and the secure versions of IMAP and SMTP. I have connected to secure sites by using a proxy server on port 80. It is not secure but I can access some of the sites I need to that I don't care about being really secure with. I have done that for FTP as well.

could you give me instructions on how to setup a proxy for port 80?

kgarner
Jun 18, 2004, 09:37 AM
could you give me instructions on how to setup a proxy for port 80?
It was actually very easy (this was the first time I had tried, too). First go to Google and search for 'public proxy server', pick one of those (I don't think it matters which one). Second, in the Network Panel go to the Proxy tab and select the the Secure HTTP checkbox (not sure exactly what it says, I am away from my Mac so I can't check it) and then type in the IP address and the port in the appropriate boxes. Now go to a secure website and see if it worked, then you're done.