Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I think Apple should introduce Wireless Sync to the iPod Touch/iPhone.
It would be slower, but what if Apple bumped the Wi-Fi to 802.11n? The iPod could have disabling feature for the -n part, to save battery life. Alternatively, the iPod could have dual wi-fi chipsets. Wireless sync would be good for MBA users that use the USB port for wired internet.

All this was slowely typed on my 2G touch/32GB/OS 3.0.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't think this would be such a great idea and I don't think Apple will be doing it any time soon. Here's why:

1. It is really unsecured over Wi-Fi
2. There is no way to disable Wireless N and switch to Wireless G on the same card
3. Wireless N would kill battery life
4. The weight added with two Wi-Fi chips would be crazy
5. How do you use USB for internet? I though that is the ethernet port.
6. If anything, it would be over bluetooth only. Which means, there would only need to be a software update to iTunes, the computer's OS and the iPod touch's or iPhone's OS

Sorry for the negative comments, but it is true.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I don't think this would be such a great idea and I don't think Apple will be doing it any time soon. Here's why:

1. It is really unsecured over Wi-Fi
2. There is no way to disable Wireless N and switch to Wireless G on the same card
3. Wireless N would kill battery life
4. The weight added with two Wi-Fi chips would be crazy
5. How do you use USB for internet? I though that is the ethernet port.
6. If anything, it would be over bluetooth only. Which means, there would only need to be a software update to iTunes, the computer's OS and the iPod touch's or iPhone's OS

Sorry for the negative comments, but it is true.

1. A Wi-Fi network can be secured.
2. That is too bad.
3. Is there a way to make the battery bigger? If so, that isn't a problem.
4. I am sure there is a way to fit it in there, wi-fi chips don't weigh that much.
5. MacBook Airs do not have an ethernet port, a USB adapter is required.
6. You are right, Apple would have to make some changes. iPhone 3.1 or 3.2?
Mac OS 10.5.8 (or .9), or 10.6.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
1. A Wi-Fi network can be secured.
2. That is too bad.
3. Is there a way to make the battery bigger? If so, that isn't a problem.
4. I am sure there is a way to fit it in there, wi-fi chips don't weigh that much.
5. MacBook Airs do not have an ethernet port, a USB adapter is required.
6. You are right, Apple would have to make some changes. iPhone 3.1 or 3.2?
Mac OS 10.5.8 (or .9), or 10.6.

1. Not that kind of secure.
3. They can, but the device would become heavier and thicker
4. There is no where no put them in an iPod touch or iPhone
5. Sorry. I posted that without thinking:D

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
1. Not that kind of secure.
3. They can, but the device would become heavier and thicker
4. There is no where no put them in an iPod touch or iPhone
5. Sorry. I posted that without thinking:D

It would make the iPod Touch heavier but maybe they could do it with the iPhone. My other 2 things that bug me is the inability of Safari to download files and pictures, the other thing is I would like to run the game called Second Life onto my Touch. (possibly a simplified version)

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
It would make the iPod Touch heavier but maybe they could do it with the iPhone. My other 2 things that bug me is the inability of Safari to download files and pictures, the other thing is I would like to run the game called Second Life onto my Touch. (possibly a simplified version)

Second Life is not Apple's job. Contact the developer and ask if they can make a iPhone app.

I don't see Apple making two Wi-Fi chips in one device, especially in the iPhone were there is less room than the iPod touch.

The thing about Safari downloading is it could bring viruses and other things that you would not want on a device like that. Also, they would have to design a Mobile Finder type application to be able to view those files and read them. Don't see it happening until, if ever OS 5.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.