PDA

View Full Version : ATT charge early termination fee for lost iphone?

spick
Aug 4, 2009, 05:59 PM
Basically my sister upgraded to an iphone, but she didn't like it so she gave me the iphone. ATT took data plan off her line and put it on my line.

Then during the weekend I dropped the iphone and the thing literally fell into piece because I was 3 stories up. Took it to apple store and they want me to pay $299 for a replacement and I just left.

Since the only reason I'm staying with ATT is because of the iphone my sister gave me, so if I were to cancel my line will I be charge for early termination fee or force to pay anything? It's a family plan and the contract is up for all the lines except my sister's because she upgraded.

Only her line is renew, but did my line also renew itself when I transferred the iphone?

Applejuiced
Aug 4, 2009, 06:01 PM
If the line you want to cancell is not under contract then you won't pay an ETF.

rjohnstone
Aug 4, 2009, 06:02 PM
The phone is pointless... you are under contract. The minute you transferred the iPhone data plan to your line, you started a two year contract.
It doesn't matter why you want to cancel it, they will still charge you the ETF.

maflynn
Aug 4, 2009, 06:30 PM
I'm missing the point or maybe the OP is missing the point. You are under contract with ATT and it matters not that your phone is now broken. If you don't want to stay with ATT you need to pay the ETF. Simple as that - not sure why it really needs to be complicated. You're under contract and it will cost you to get out of the contract (as stipulated in the contract).

spick
Aug 4, 2009, 06:34 PM
I'm not under contract at least I don't think I am. First of all the contract for my family plan expired in March of this year. My sister is the only one that renew her line so basically none other lines are under contract.

The complication I have is when I transferred my sister's iphone to my line did my line also renew itself?

Also I don't want to cancel the family plan, I just want to cancel my one line.

yg17
Aug 4, 2009, 06:35 PM
If you're not sure, call AT&T and find out. No one on this forum can tell you for sure if you're under contract.

Knowlege Bomb
Aug 4, 2009, 06:37 PM
I'm not under contract at least I don't think I am. First of all the contract for my family plan expired in March of this year. My sister is the only one that renew her line so basically none other lines are under contract.

The complication I have is when I transferred my sister's iphone to my line did my line also renew itself?

Also I don't want to cancel the family plan, I just want to cancel my one line.

The only way your contract would be renewed is if you went out and got yourself your own iPhone.

So in your case, no. It would not cost anything to cancel your line.

SFStateStudent
Aug 4, 2009, 06:37 PM
The complication I have is when I transferred my sister's iphone to my line did my line also renew itself? Also I don't want to cancel the family plan, I just want to cancel my one line.

Why don't you call AT&T for the REAL answer? We don't have the facts in front of us; nor do you....

You probably need to have your parents (primary account holder) call AT&T....

Jhanson09
Aug 4, 2009, 07:05 PM
The only way your contract would be renewed is if you went out and got yourself your own iPhone.

So in your case, no. It would not cost anything to cancel your line.

No not true.... if you add and iphone to your number whether you buy it new from att or if you buy it used off of craig's list they renew your contract for another 2 years.

renewed
Aug 4, 2009, 08:13 PM
No not true.... if you add and iphone to your number whether you buy it new from att or if you buy it used off of craig's list they renew your contract for another 2 years.

Um no. Why would they? A contract occurs for subsidized devices.. so that you pay the price of the phone back... If you bring the phone then you can get a month to month contract.

westone75
Aug 4, 2009, 09:09 PM

You don't sign a new contract when you put an iPhone 3g on your line that you got from someone else. Only if you buy it new yourself and get a discount on it.

elfxmilhouse
Aug 4, 2009, 09:17 PM
i spent about 30 mins on the phone with AT&T today about a similar issue.

I asked if there would be an ETF if i wanted to remove the iphone data plan and use a non iphone on the same line.

The rep said the contract is the same as any other contract. the only agreement with iphones is that if you have an iphone on the line then you must have the iphone data plan on the line.

so even though I am in the middle of my 2 year contract, I can take out the sim and put it in a different phone. then call AT&T and have them remove the iphone data plan and there is no etf as long as youre still continuing the contract.

Knowlege Bomb
Aug 4, 2009, 09:25 PM

False.

Um no. Why would they? A contract occurs for subsidized devices.. so that you pay the price of the phone back... If you bring the phone then you can get a month to month contract.

Thank you...

You don't sign a new contract when you put an iPhone 3g on your line that you got from someone else. Only if you buy it new yourself and get a discount on it.

... and thank you.

devinci99
Aug 4, 2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know why you would ask the question here.

Dial 611 from an AT&T phone (someone else from your family plan) and just ask what happens if you cancel your line. they'll be able to tell you right away.

But unless you unknowingly extended your contract, you under contract. You might be able to debate it over an AT&T manager over it so they might treat it as a mistake. Usually a contract is to get deals as far as minutes, or subsidized phones. Even when customers don't want new subsidized phones, tries to offer customers cheaper rates.

IF you did extended your contract by accident, debate with them to get out as soon as you can, and if you can't... either pay the ETF, or stick with them and get better deals, or a new phone. :)

westone75
Aug 4, 2009, 10:03 PM
Usually a contract is to get deals as far as minutes, or subsidized phones. Even when customers don't want new subsidized phones, tries to offer customers cheaper rates.

You never have to extend your contract to change minute plans, only to recieve new subsidized phone.

spick
Aug 4, 2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys

I call 611 and was told that I can cancel my line anytime I want so that's a relieve.

SFStateStudent
Aug 4, 2009, 11:10 PM
Cool OP, good luck....:cool:

ChaSSe
Aug 4, 2009, 11:19 PM
Basically my sister upgraded to an iphone, but she didn't like it so she gave me the iphone. ATT took data plan off her line and put it on my line.

Then during the weekend I dropped the iphone and the thing literally fell into piece because I was 3 stories up. Took it to apple store and they want me to pay $299 for a replacement and I just left.

Since the only reason I'm staying with ATT is because of the iphone my sister gave me, so if I were to cancel my line will I be charge for early termination fee or force to pay anything? It's a family plan and the contract is up for all the lines except my sister's because she upgraded.

Only her line is renew, but did my line also renew itself when I transferred the iphone?

No

ibuyufo
Aug 5, 2009, 01:13 AM
Adding the data plan does not renew your contract. The only time that your contract is renewed is when you purchase a subsidized phone or you sign up for some discount.

D1G1T4L
Aug 5, 2009, 05:06 AM

Yet wasn't the first iPhone unsubsidized yet required custmers to sign a contract?

macboy4
Aug 5, 2009, 05:26 AM
Yet wasn't the first iPhone unsubsidized yet required custmers to sign a contract?

Good point. I think we're confusing the contract and upgrade eligibility. When I activated my original, unsubsidized iPhone I started a new 2 year contract, but my upgrade eligibility was NOT reset. In that particular case I could have upgraded to a subsidized phone while I still had about 18 months left on my contract. Most people buy only subsidized phones so their contract renewal almost always coincides with their upgrade eligibility; this causes people to confuse the two. If you sign a two year contract you're stuck with said contract for two years, but if your account is in good standing you can upgrade at about the 19-20 month mark. Of course, this starts a new contract.

So it's clear that with the original iPhone you had to sign a new 2 year contract... is it different with the 3G/S?

MBHockey
Aug 5, 2009, 07:22 AM

That is 100% not true. You don't understand the whole subsidizing + contract process do you?

rjohnstone
Aug 5, 2009, 08:35 AM
That is 100% not true. You don't understand the whole subsidizing + contract process do you?
Apparently you don't. :rolleyes:
The subsidized thing is a ruse. You will pay the same contract price regardless of whether you bought a phone under a subsidy or paid full retail. The rate and terms are still the same.

If you bring an iPhone to AT&T and want iPhone compatible service (voice/data/VVM), they will put you on a 2 year contract unless you specifically state you want to go PAYG.

As for the OP, his sister bought the iPhone as an upgrade from AT&T/Apple, so she is under contract. Transferring the phone to the OP's line doesn't remove the liability for the phone and it's associated contract.
Someone on that family plan is going to pay an ETF if the service is canceled.

Goodeye
Aug 5, 2009, 09:17 AM
SHE is staying and therefore has the contract. if HE leaves there will be no ETF to pay. Yes the iPhone that she signed into a contract for is no longer.

But for him to leave there is NO etf. Even ATT confirmed this to him based off a prior remark he made above.

It's posts like yours that are confusing the OP.

Sounds like a idiot at ATT must have renewed your contract incorrectly and you got stuck with the issue.

westone75
Aug 5, 2009, 08:37 PM
Apparently you don't. :rolleyes:
The subsidized thing is a ruse. You will pay the same contract price regardless of whether you bought a phone under a subsidy or paid full retail. The rate and terms are still the same.

If you bring an iPhone to AT&T and want iPhone compatible service (voice/data/VVM), they will put you on a 2 year contract unless you specifically state you want to go PAYG.

As for the OP, his sister bought the iPhone as an upgrade from AT&T/Apple, so she is under contract. Transferring the phone to the OP's line doesn't remove the liability for the phone and it's associated contract.
Someone on that family plan is going to pay an ETF if the service is canceled.

That is completely not true, if you bring an iPhone 3g or 3gs into an at&t store to activate, there is no 2 year contract. There is only a contract when you PURCHASE the phone IN THE STORE to get the DISCOUNT on the phone. at&t does not require a 2 year contract on previously owned equipment.

As far as the OP's sisters line, her line is in contract, but that doesn't mean HE can't cancel HIS line, and leave HERS still active.

Also, PAYG is only available on 2g iPhones, not 3g or 3gs.