Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickel Dime Bay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I had a rebel capsule on my 3 week old iphone 3gs and it scratched the CRAP out of my lower chrome lip. Is there anything you guys recommend to get rid of the scratches?

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Bezel Blaster from Radtech.com Although, from what I have seen, this is just a super fine grit sanding pad. I think that if you use it to much, it will likely take away the shine of the chrome bezel. Not that this is bad, but just be prepared for that.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
I had a rebel capsule on my 3 week old iphone 3gs and it scratched the CRAP out of my lower chrome lip. Is there anything you guys recommend to get rid of the scratches?

Are you talking about the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel case? I used one for 11 months (stopped when the bottom sagged when I transferred to my 3GS) and the inner part is kind of soft. It seems to safely cover the bezel better than many other cases. How can it scratch your phone?

michaelfengdayu

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Are you talking about the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel case? I used one for 11 months (stopped when the bottom sagged when I transferred to my 3GS) and the inner part is kind of soft. It seems to safely cover the bezel better than many other cases. How can it scratch your phone?

It is the bottom part, cos it's flimsy, moves up and down a bit, causing tiny scratches along the bottom part of the chrome. Other part seems fine.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Why not just use something you might already have?

If you already have cleaner/waxing products for your clear coated car, then it'll do the same thing. If you really want to get fancy, get a chrome polishing kit.

The iPhone chrome bezel is the same material as your plastic bumpered car/truck nowadays (if you have chrome on the bumper), it's just a much smaller surface area on your iPhone.

The Radtech kit linked to just looks like a pad of 1500 grit refinishing pad (available at any home improvement store), a polishing cloth (old TShirt :)), and a small freezer baggie.....

toxictrix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Texas
Yup Capsule Rebel is fairly poorly designed imo. I had it on for maybe a week and the sagging was terrible.

Nickel Dime Bay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
thanks for the replies, i just got my speck candyshell yesterday and its a lot better than the rebel. The bottom just looks nasty now, im going to try and do it myself and if that doesnt work ill go ahead and get that radtech thing.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Seems this Radtech stuff works well, but also takes away the bling shine of the chrome bezel.

I'd like to try it just because I kind of like the look of that satin finish chrome...

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
You can get the shine back by using a buffing wheel at a low speed and the appropriate polisher.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Anyone have good results with Brasso on the 3G/3GS?

I've searched this forum and google, but most results were for ipods and macbooks.

Any potential dangers of using it?

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I'd like to know more on the buffing when option. I always wanted to have a hobbyist kit like this.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Anyone have good results with Brasso on the 3G/3GS?

I've searched this forum and google, but most results were for ipods and macbooks.

Any potential dangers of using it?

1-Brasso is a liquid, not a paste.
2-Even with the most care taken, it's messy.
3-You'll be dizzy and have a headache in 5 mins if not used in a ventilated area.
4-3 rags. One to put it on, one to buff, one to shine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.