Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raibe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Does revision C Air suffer from hinge defect that has plagued earlier models or has Apple corrected this between revisions? Thinking of buying one but if hinge lasts less than a year…:eek:

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
I have one and have two friends with one, and no one has had any problems.

Had a friend whose slid off the bed and landed open side down, and didn't hurt anything. It's pretty damn sturdy in my experience.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I'm really hoping Apple learned from the last two revisions. I know someone who wants one and this seems to be the biggest issue.

JasG

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
My Rev. C hinge is fine so far. The Rev A I rented for a week before I bought this one was looser, but still fully adjustable, just took a little more work. When you shave so much weight, something is going to have to give. It is a very delicate balance. I put a Speck plastic cover on my new one, it added enormously to the weight of the screen, and in the long run would probably cause premature hinge wear. I don't think I'll use it. Fortunately I bought it for 14 dollars.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
funnily enough my hinge on my rev A has just broken! From what I have read about this, which is a lot over the last few days, Apple do replace the hinge parts so it would seem that they have indeed learnt from it. I haven't been in to my Apple Store yet ( I have swine flu :( ) but it seems from May '09 they are doing a silent recall free of charge so you should be safe buying rev C :D

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
I have a rev C and it seems fine to me, really sturdy. Actually seems better than the MBP that I had previously!
signature_silverapple.jpg

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
My Rev. C hinge is fine so far. The Rev A I rented for a week before I bought this one was looser, but still fully adjustable, just took a little more work. When you shave so much weight, something is going to have to give. It is a very delicate balance. I put a Speck plastic cover on my new one, it added enormously to the weight of the screen, and in the long run would probably cause premature hinge wear. I don't think I'll use it. Fortunately I bought it for 14 dollars.

Funny you should say that. I just got back from the local store and wound up getting a neoprene sleeve for it because of that very reason. Didn't seem to be any real advantage to the plastic covers other than being able to take more abuse if you stack books on it. But I don't, so meh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.