PDA

View Full Version : Coke "were ahead of the curve with the introduction of Myco...

MacBytes
Jun 17, 2004, 03:57 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Coke \"were ahead of the curve with the introduction of Mycokemusic.com\" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040617165717)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Moonlight
Jun 17, 2004, 04:06 PM
Ahead of the curve ? :rolleyes:
They will soon be far behind iTunes...

macridah
Jun 17, 2004, 04:14 PM
big wow coke. 500K songs in 2 months. I bet will sell more in one week. Next week, or two, apple will annouce how many songs were sold so far.

coke ... you're only ahead of the curve because you started earlier. Apple will blow you out of the water.

MCCFR
Jun 17, 2004, 04:44 PM
Like Coke did anything other than put marketing muscle behind a pre-existing catalog and infrastructure (assembled and run by OD2) based on someone else's second-rate technology.

500,000 songs in sixty days (which is under 8500 songs/day) is probably no better than Rhapsody or Pressplay in the time before iTunes, and for Coke to try to create the impression that it has pioneered a viable marketplace for iTunes is delusional to the point of fraud.

And before Coca-Cola (and their occasionally quite rabid supporters) get upset about the word 'fraud', all I'm going to say is…

Read This (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1174127,00.html)

rikers_mailbox
Jun 17, 2004, 05:05 PM
And before Coca-Cola (and their occasionally quite rabid supporters) . . .

who's to say we aren't rabid supporters of Apple? :D

Dahl
Jun 18, 2004, 12:29 AM
The story mentions "Radiohead", is that a store with the same name as the band ? Or the bands own store ?

This is funny too:
Peter Jamieson, chairman of the British Phonographic Industry, said: "The success of Mycokemusic.com demonstrates that people are adopting legal downloading in the UK. Accessing music through legal downloading is a major part of the future of music."
I guess he'll real surprised when Apple rules UK.

MetallicPenguin
Jun 18, 2004, 07:16 AM
Coca Cola spokesman Rafael McDonnell said: "Research showed us that downloading music was going be a huge change in the way that consumers access music and we were ahead of the curve with the introduction of Mycokemusic.com."

Really? I was pretty sure we did that a year ago and pretty much proved that already.

JohnHummel
Jun 18, 2004, 07:16 AM
Wait a second - they <em>sold</em> 500,000 songs? I was under the impression that:

You buy a bottle of Coke.
It has a code on the bottle.
You enter it in.
You get a song.

So they didn't "sell" 500,000 songs - they included it with the purchase of a sugar flavored water beverage! Where's the profit margin? There isn't - they're using this as an advertising system.

g4cubed
Jun 18, 2004, 10:12 AM
Coke spokesman Rafael McDonnell "we were ahead of the curve with the introduction of Mycokemusic.com."

Yea, they may have came out 6 months earlier than itunes. But they probably gave 450k out of 500K of those songs away. So my question is, ahead of what curve? Are they using the Pepsi/itunes flop as the gauge. If so, they'll soon crash and burn and be left on the side of the road.
Kinda like roadkill. :D