Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonatwheel20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
(Just poking a little fun at ourselves with the title)

[edit:clarification [app=Filaments+Lite]Filaments Lite[/app] is free ]

Let's face it. Many people don't need a flashlight on their phone. At least until the power goes out, or they are fumbling for keys in a dark car park late at night. It takes only seconds to install a free flashlight app, so here's our suggestion on how to be prepared. [app]Filaments[/app] is a flashlight with a little bit more style than the average. Warm, like electric light, a timer enables it to double as a night light, and that's all in the free version ([app=Filaments+Lite]Filaments Lite[/app]). For those who want more control over the timer, or dimming, there is an affordable option there too.

Our vision? "[app=Filaments+Lite]Filaments Lite[/app] on every iPhone and iPod touch" When it's free, why not we say :)

http://wheel20.com/Filaments.html

Please give it a try, and let me know what you think of [app]Filaments[/app]

Simon
Wheel 2.0 - revolution in conventional thinking

BNZ1

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
London
Really, another flashlite app. Only now we get to pay for it at tier 2 pricing. :p

Good Luck!

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Score a flashlight! I needed one of these, the DOZENS of other flashlights on the app store didn't do me a lick of good :rolleyes:.

simonatwheel20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Only now we get to pay for it at tier 2 pricing. :p

Good Luck!

Thanks BNZ1 for the response. Never fear :) [app=Filaments+Lite]Filaments Lite[/app] is absolutely free and always will be, and will meet the needs of the vast majority of users.

@Jeremy1026: Wonderful news. Glad we were finally able to nail the product to meet your needs :)

Just kidding of course. We built [app]Filaments[/app] for ourselves as the dozens of apps already available were not quite right (there's good stuff out there, just not perfect for us). We're a design house, so we think (probably too much) about how things work, interact with the user and how they look. That's the approach we've taken to the product. I'm sure some will say "whatever!" (I fully expect a followup post to that effect :)) and some will hopefully say "nice!" (c'mon, a little encouragement.....? :))

Thanks both for your feedback

Cheers
Simon
Wheel 2.0

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Simon, not to sound negative but, SEVEN 1 star reviews, ONE 5 star, and ONE 4 star doesn't look good.

Seriously, there are a ton of OK flashlight apps out there, why another one, and what's special about it? Why should I get this one over the one I already have, and why should we buy the full version?

Sounds like this was a learn by programming example to teach yourself how to get an app out. No problem that is how a lot of things start. But how about just releasing it for free? It looks interesting but in all honesty, I didn't even bother downloading the free version because I have a free flashlight and I can't see any reason to get something else, especially something that I might have to pay for if I like it.

Sorry, for the negative comments, but that is how I see it.

simonatwheel20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
@CylonGlitch

Not a problem. I appreciate any feedback. Seeing feedback in other regions is something I have to figure out how to do. The US store I assume? As for your questions. Why another one? Different styles suit different folks. As I mentioned we built it for us originally. What's different? Good question. For me it's the combination of things. Warm light (I prefer to cool white), a timer (good if you've got a baby in the room... yep we do), and it's all symbol based controls (no text at all in the UI), which is doable on a simple app, but makes it universal without needing localisation (I think that's cool, but that's my design head speaking again ....) The other answers are about your preference for even greater control than LITE provides. Dimming for example and greater granularity in the timer controls. Like I mentioned. Most people won't need dimming, and won't need extensive timer options, so why provide them if they're not going to get used. That's the philosophy behind LITE. Keep it simple, yet functional.

Is there somewhere you can review ratings across other stores? As an Aussie store user I can't see the feedback in other regions in iTunes. Any pointers would be appreciated. Hopefully there will be some text to go with the star ratings and I can figure out whether we've just missed the mark, or whether there might be some bugs to correct (or both).

BTW: If you do like Lite, I'll give you a promo code CylonGlitch and you don't need to worry about paying for it later if you like it :)

Cheers
Simon

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C116a Safari/528.16)

Ok I downloaded the lite version and have a couple of comments:
firstly, you need to make it clearer in the lite version exactly what you get extra if you pay (more control is a bit vague)
secondly, and more importantly IMO is your choice of buttons: I understand why you wanted to make them graphical only so there are no language problems, but what exactly do they do? I'm guessing it's something to do with the
timer but they are incredibly confusing and left me scratching my head. It's no good having great design features if you obscure them to the point of confusion: you shouldn't need a manual for a flashlight!

inbrissy

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
Brisbane
@CylonGlitch

Not a problem. I appreciate any feedback. Seeing feedback in other regions is something I have to figure out how to do.

Just change the store in iTunes to view other regions. Then find your app.
You can also use this link and paste your app's URL in.

http://www.moopf.com/appstorereviews/

That will give you all reviews from all regions.

I think the main thing to keep in mind with any application is that your reasoning for certain functionality in your application isn't necessarily mirrored by users.

Creating an application for which there are already quite a number of is always a tricky thing because you're always going to play catch up.

simonatwheel20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
@Phil.A
I could add text in addition to the symbols though I'd rather get the symbols right. For your question. The timer options are from top left across (15 minutes, dismiss control panel ) and from bottom left across (1 hour, no timer )
timerlite.jpg

@inbrissy
Brilliant. Thanks for the tip re:reviews. You're absolutely right. I think we blind ourselves to our designs. User testing is essential. Even so, once it hits a very broad audience like the store, you get feedback your test users never even thought of. "Value" is an individual concept. There was a nice quote I read somewhere (maybe a GTD book...). Went something along the lines "Your app is finished until you deliver it to your user". Rolling with the punches :) BTW: I think your app (AutismTest) is a fantastic idea. I hope you're getting some good feedback on it.

Cheers Simon

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
I have no available page space because my iphone is all filled with flashlight apps.

simonatwheel20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
I'm sensing I've reached the end of my free plug time :)

I'm going to say thanks for the feedback and good natured jibes, and good bye until next time (perhaps I shall branch away from flashlight apps for the next project)

My parting gift, promo codes. Head over to the promo code forum to grab one.

If you have any further questions, I'll keep an eye on the thread, and otherwise you can email me if you're a forum member.

Cheers
Simon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.