Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Hello, my name is David.

All: "Hello, David."

As I was innocently using my beautiful Dual 1.25 MDD (with a perfectly tuned Jaguar 10.2.8, courtesy of AlSoft), my computer locked up. :eek: Upon a forced re-boot, I got the "prohibitory" or "NOT" sign (circle with a line through it) after about two minutes. I even tried booting up off of another HDD I have in the computer by unplugging my main disk drives - to no avail. In addition, I tried unsuccessfully to boot from the bootable diagnostics disc - nothing. In fact, now the "watch" symbol, if it illuminates at all, freezes as well; the startup chime is now gone, too. PRAM and PMU have been reset. I even replaced the power supply with another that I keep - again, no joy. :confused: I am therefore requesting the following responses please:

1. More than likely I will either need a replacement mother board, logic board, or a replacement of one or both CPUs. Does anybody know what this may cost?

2. This MDD is not even two years old; I am sending this message via a cheap Dell which never seems to have as many problems (but doesn't get nearly the usage, either...). Any notes/responses of support and condolences to keep me from going to the Dark Side shall be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
The only thing I can suggest..

From dealing with another MDD.

Unplug machine. (touch case to ground yourself, of course) Remove the Battery. Reset cuda switch (15 seconds) held down, do not press twice. Now the wierd thing, just let it sit for 24 hrs in this state.

@ 24 hrs, (ground yourself again) Replace battery. Pray (if you are god fearing). Turn on.

Let us know.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
also since I cannot edit my original post...

If it does boot, you should have a single dong at this point. Hold down command-option O F to boot into open firmware immediately after dong. Then type:

reset-nvram (with a return)
set-defaults (with a return)
reset-all (and a final return will boot the machine)

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Thanks, I appreciate any and all suggestions.

I shall use this procedure and report back...

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
RGunner said:
From dealing with another MDD.

Unplug machine. (touch case to ground yourself, of course) Remove the Battery. Reset cuda switch (15 seconds) held down, do not press twice. Now the wierd thing, just let it sit for 24 hrs in this state.

@ 24 hrs, (ground yourself again) Replace battery. Pray (if you are god fearing). Turn on.

Let us know.

A question of sorts, what would cause a MDD to do this? Just my curiosity getting the best of me.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
a guess only...

the CPU card has cooked itself, bad design and cooling on Apples behalf.. but thats only a hunch at this point. I have a dual 1.25 7455a card here that functions well as an ornament :)

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Sounds expensive

RGunner said:
the CPU card has cooked itself, bad design and cooling on Apples behalf.. but thats only a hunch at this point. I have a dual 1.25 7455a card here that functions well as an ornament :)

What is a 7455a card?

I'll have to agree with you with regard to cooling - I think that they perhaps attempted too much for this outdated case design.

What a shame - $3300.00 and barely 18months of use out of it...

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
7455a

is the Motorola chips (first revision) that Apple used in the early MDD PowerMacs. Now they use a 7455B.

There are a couple maybe 5 MDD modules on Ebay as we speak. I watched a Dual 1.42 module sell last week for $300. I think there is another starting at $350. Dual 1.25's are cheaper yet.

Hope this helps,
Robert

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Good money after bad

If they are starting at this price on eBay, I can't immagine what they'd be new, from Apple, installed...

Seriously, I may just part it out at this point and opt for a new Dual 1.8, now that they've come down in price. And you can bet your bottom dollar (or at least mine) that I'll get Applecare. Big time.

This Dell I'm using right now (it belongs to the kids) even with 1.5G of memory still can't burn an audio CD faster then 8x - it'll never work for video - has a nice touch to its keyboard but is really worthless in terms of overal power...

Thanks very much for your responses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.