Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grayfox

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Australia
Hey

I installed Windows XP 64bit on my Mac Pro, and i noticed a few applications that are 64bit coded install in Program Files and the ones like firefox that aren't install into Program Files (x86) so i was wondering, I have a few games, like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. that have 64bit support, do i have to install them into the program files folder with the rest of the 64bit apps or can i install them onto the second hdd i have (which is where i intended to install things that weren't system related) and still get 64bit support?

PS: Sorry if it sounds like a noob question, haven't used 64bit windows before.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Just let the program's installer pick the path, and leave it at that. Windows won't run an application any differently based on which "Program Files" folder it's installed in. You could also install them to your other hard drive in any folder you wish, but keep in mind that certain libraries and registry entries will be installed on the first hard drive, so you probably won't be able to run programs installed on the second drive from another PC.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
You should have no problems installing and running apps from the secondary drive. That's what I've been doing for my game installs on both my Mac Pro and my plain-old PC, it makes Steam and Impulse MUCH more space friendly. Just to echo what Bill Gates said, if you do move the drive to another system with a different boot disk then, most likely, nothing will end up running properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.