Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Having just spent the last 15 minutes or so (I'm just guessing) going through a particularly bad thread, reporting perhaps a quarter or third of the posts, I would like to ask if it would be possible to lower the time required between post reports. This would greatly help out those of us who report all of the stuff we see, particularly in a thread that hasn't yet had moderator attention.

I am curious as to what the downsides would be. Is there report post spam? How widespread is that to where 30 seconds is needed between reports? Is the report post time requirement linked to the regular post requirement?

Perhaps those with VB experience, and especially a mod or god here, could stop in and help explain the costs and benefits of lowering the report post time delay. Thanks for your responses!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I think it also lowers the time between posts as well, and would increase the ability to spam
But I am not certain of that

Seems that was the reasoning listed before

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
I've been dealing with the thread you reported and it really isn't necessary to report each and every post in a thread. We will usually look over the thread to see if there are other things to do as well (especially concerning post merges).

But thank you for the effort (really) :)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
MacDawg said:
I think it also lowers the time between posts as well, and would increase the ability to spam
But I am not certain of that

Seems that was the reasoning listed before
I wondered if it was the same, but don't have any VB mod/admin experience, so I wasn't sure. I'd love confirmation on this if someone can provide.

I've been dealing with the thread you reported and it really isn't necessary to report each and every post in a thread. We will usually look over the thread to see if there are other things to do as well (especially concerning post merges).

But thank you for the effort (really) :)

Oh. *blushes* Sorry for spamming up the Reported Posts forum. :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Oh. *blushes* Sorry for spamming up the Reported Posts forum. :)

It's okay. That's why it's there!

When you report a post and you're seeing a trend in the thread, it's fine to note in the report something like "and the next few messages down" or whatever. If the report doesn't note something such as that we may or may not read around that post depending on how busy the site is and depending on how busy we are. But noting to look above and below a post will usually get us to look both ways before we cross the street!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
It's okay. That's why it's there!

When you report a post and you're seeing a trend in the thread, it's fine to note in the report something like "and the next few messages down" or whatever. If the report doesn't note something such as that we may or may not read around that post depending on how busy the site is and depending on how busy we are. But noting to look above and below a post will usually get us to look both ways before we cross the street!

That's good, I've been reporting some posts as "Seriously?" after one user went off the wall last night. I noticed that at 4 AM EST there seemed to be massive users posting consecutive posts and other problematics.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Reduced time between reports would be nice IMO. Maybe only for members with lots of posts/demis?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We understand what you are asking for, but the features you've asked for are not supported by vBulletin and would have to come from third-party development or our own modifications. In other words, they aren't settings we can change with a flip of a switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.