Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I may be able to get a couple of g5's in a trade. not sure of the specs but lets say the bottom of the line a 2.0 model with 4 gigs of ram how will it compare to my mac mini 2.0 with 4 gigs?

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I don't know if the mini will be faster, but i doubt it'd be much slower. put in a 7200rpm hard drive, or better yet, an ssd, and it would be really fast. plus, that G5 power mac will suck electricity like crazy.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
if I get them the deal will really make my wallet happy. I want to change over to all macs but I have three to more computers to change out. my wife is blind but she does not do anything more then surf and read email and use itunes and maybe edit a document. so one will work well for her. I am debating on using the mini at work or the g5. I will run parallels mostly at work but the apps are not demanding. right now they run faster on my mac then on my supposedly faster pc.
not sure what drives the g5 takes. sata or a ata 100?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
if I get them the deal will really make my wallet happy. I want to change over to all macs but I have three to more computers to change out. my wife is blind but she does not do anything more then surf and read email and use itunes and maybe edit a document. so one will work well for her. I am debating on using the mini at work or the g5. I will run parallels mostly at work but the apps are not demanding. right now they run faster on my mac then on my supposedly faster pc.
not sure what drives the g5 takes. sata or a ata 100?

The G5 is sata, and you cannot run Parallels on a G5, Paralles, VMWare, and Virtual Box are Intel only.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
The G5 is sata, and you cannot run Parallels on a G5, Paralles, VMWare, and Virtual Box are Intel only.

I was wondering. better take only one then. my wife won't need windows. I bought her a g4 off of ebay that would run leopard but if I get the g5 she will get that. I need to run parallels.

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
The G5's praise was quite abundant when it was launched but was quickly forgotten with the implementation of intel machines. In fact, questions like this one are asked fairly often and responses that come from a few long time members border on disdain for the recently "loved" G5. I am by no means anti-intel but just because PPC macs are no longer supported doesnt mean they're any less Apple:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.