PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Just One of Many

MacBytes
Jun 18, 2004, 01:31 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft Just One of Many (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040618143146)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Jun 18, 2004, 02:10 PM
"In fact, open-source software is not free. It is very expensive because it shifts the cost to maintenance, services, integration and training"

And as we all know, Microsoft's products cost nothing to maintain, MS charges for no services, MS product integration requires no expertise and always works, and MS products are so easy to use that no training is required ;)

Savage Henry
Jun 18, 2004, 03:03 PM
"In fact, open-source software is not free. It is very expensive because it shifts the cost to maintenance, services, integration and training"

That arguement always cracks me up. :D But's it's nice to hear the largest software maker in the known universe wheel it out every six months for another airing.

mainstreetmark
Jun 18, 2004, 04:50 PM
Reminds me of when Thorrott or whoever said that the 5.5 million Big Mac super computer, which is like 50 million cheaper than the next slowest, has hidden "installation and configuration costs"

nagromme
Jun 18, 2004, 05:10 PM
Sure, because those other clusters installed themselves for free :D

nacl99
Jun 18, 2004, 05:35 PM
That arguement always cracks me up. :D But's it's nice to hear the largest software maker in the known universe wheel it out every six months for another airing.

Yeah, don't you have all those expenses with a Microsoft solution as well? In fact I read once that IT guys like Microsoft because it keeps them employed, if they worked with a more stable system they would be jeopardizing their jobs.

g4cubed
Jun 19, 2004, 07:52 AM
"In fact, open-source software is not free. It is very expensive because it shifts the cost to maintenance, services, integration and training,"

This guy is either smokin' crack or his head stuck in a barrel of Dom.Romanée Conti, if he actually thinks Micro$oft products are maintenance free and easy to learn :eek: . If it wasn't for them half my brothers would be unemployed (it techs.) and have I heard some good stories.... :D
I'm the only convert, anyway, I think open source = better programs and less vulnerablities.