PDA

View Full Version : I need 5 gutted clamshell iBook G3's...HELP!

josh_e_washie
Jun 18, 2004, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone,
My name is Josh and I am quite a mac fan. I have three in my home, including a bondi blue imac, powerbook 15" (aluminum) and the one I am on now, a 1.33Ghz powerbook 12" with superdrive! I love mac! But anyways enough gloating....down to the business!
This summer I am working for Mount Washington Valley Theater Company in NH. A production we are doing at the end of the summer is "You're a Good man Charlie Brown". The director had a great idea for one of the numbers entitles 'book report'. Being another mac fan, he thought it would be a neat idea to have each peanut character with their own G3 iBook, each a different color.
I work props and this fun task has become my responsibility! I have been looking online even for just a gutted shell or maybe just a VERY VERY cheap one (i mean under 20 dollars for each! more only if necessary)....
Is it possible to get the shell of iBook G3's in each color, or if not to buy them, rent or borrow them for three or four weeks?
If no one has one, at least someone point me in a direction where I can get one. Is there like a mac junkyard somewhere? What should I do? Thanks a ton everyone........ :)

Thirteenva
Jun 18, 2004, 03:18 PM
See if there is a mac user group in your area. They may be willing to help you out by lending you a few ibooks, perhaps in exchange for some free tickets.

Good Luck.

EDIT: i found one on google here: http://www.seacoastmac.org/. I'm not familiar with NH so forgive me if they're not near enough to you.

solvs
Jun 18, 2004, 03:47 PM
eBay is a good place to start.

Or pick up a Macworld magazine and look in the back for ads of places that sell Mac parts. Also, you could try PM'ing user iJon. He has all sorts of parts lying around. I think his parents own a computer store.

rueyeet
Jun 18, 2004, 04:21 PM
Since the computers don't actually need to work, you might consider mock-ups instead of real hardware. If I remember from Wired's Cult of Mac blog, some people even draw up "Paper Macs"....sort of a cut-out-and-fold thing. That could provide the proper measurements, etc.

You could cut and paint styrofoam, cardboard....a ton of things. Or you could make parodies in different colors with a peanut logo on the back instead of an apple...Many, many possibilities.