PDA

View Full Version : Wondering how to properly manage speakers?

deviousxen
Aug 6, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hi. I have an iMac that is connected to an M Audio. Basically I'm using it to output sound from the computer to 2 harman/kardon soundsticks. The problem is that I dont want to mess up the speakers and stuff. There are multiple volume controls to consider. One on iTunes (I hear you're supposed to put the iPods volume at like 70 percent or something when you use it with something else... Sooooo I dk), and "Output" and "Mix" on the M Audio.

Then the volume on the Harman/Kardon soundsticks. I currently have Mix in the middle, and Output at like 75. On iTunes about 70 percent... And on the speakers themselves I try not to turn it up ALL the way but mostly.

Is there a simple solution to this so I can blast music without blowing up my speakers?

gatepc
Aug 6, 2009, 05:09 PM
I turn up all system audio ( including things like itunes ) too 100% and then just control everything with the physical control on the speakers much simpler.

deviousxen
Aug 6, 2009, 05:12 PM
I turn up all system audio ( including things like itunes ) too 100% and then just control everything with the physical control on the speakers much simpler.

Yeah but I don't want to blow up the speakers. What I mean is what capacity they have and whats best for them? I don't want too much output blasting through them and I want it clear and not distorted. Loud and clear really.

gatepc
Aug 6, 2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah but I don't want to blow up the speakers. What I mean is what capacity they have and whats best for them? I don't want too much output blasting through them and I want it clear and not distorted. Loud and clear really.

It wont mess them up they are meant to accept that kind of audio output. just turn down the volume the whole way on the speakers first so you know where your audio levels are at. I mess with a bunch of high end audio equipment with lossless files and I do not hear any distortion from doing this it sounds just fine.

deviousxen
Aug 6, 2009, 05:36 PM
It wont mess them up they are meant to accept that kind of audio output. just turn down the volume the whole way on the speakers first so you know where your audio levels are at. I mess with a bunch of high end audio equipment with lossless files and I do not hear any distortion from doing this it sounds just fine.

The speakers themselves have a power chord and I guess a device that amplifies them with a build in woofer. I don't know if the M Audio thing makes the signal even stronger before it reaches the Soundsticks base...

I mean is there a certain spec for their capacity that I should look up, like watts or whatever the hell (Im pretty new to this, and therefore quite ignorant on speakers and electronic equipment)

gatepc
Aug 6, 2009, 05:49 PM
I am not sure about the m audio card but it probably does not amplify at all trust me just try it out and see how it works ( you won't hurt anything )