PDA

View Full Version : what happened to my post...(no flame intended)

intomwetrust
Jun 18, 2004, 03:09 PM
I posted this ariticle: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=76017 and for some reason it was thrown into the "wasteland" it wasn't intended to be a flame thread at all.

But Okay lets start with mgargan1: you said microsoft doesn't support 95 right? well they don't unfortunatly, but then again its been around for almost a decade. But Windows 98 is still supported, they still have drivers and everything! They even have Windows update for 98! So yeah things can become obsolete... but OS 9 how long has that been here for, 5 years max? i could be wrong. That concludes that message.

7on: I guess i was mistaken with the Airport, turns out it was a hardware problem. The airport was messed up(Apples fault teehee). I do agree on the spyware/virus problem with the macs, but thats because the people usually use windows based computers, well thats as far as i know. Ive considered purchasing a mac, but from my point in view PC seems to work better for me. And i didn't know anything about the market shares. Thanks

Apple //e: no comment

Abhishekit: The advantage i was talking about was that ipod could only be used for macs, but now i can be used on PC. Its interesting on how u call microsoft and add the $ in soft, because if i were to purchase a Powermac G4 2.5GHZ for 2000$ american or i could buy a Dell(shudders) for 1700 and get this model http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&kc=6V528&l=en&oc=XPSSO&s=dhs in my opinion is far better hardware wise. Plus your saving 300$ Who's the capitalist now?

russed: Apples look nicer? im sure you haven't realised that with a pc you can change your tower. you can get many differ cases. www.xoxide.com has some fancy dancy cases if you don't like getting generic ones. I like this one out of the few i glanced at: http://www.xoxide.com/xblade1.html. As for the laptops, im sure you could buy a different case. you just think of a PC as if you were buying from dell. You can buy a PC from lots of places, and you don't even need hardware from windows. Can you do with that a mac? (no flame intend, actually curious)

aussi_geek: That post wasn't flame intend, i could understand how some one could get confused. the reason why that post was my first is because i wanted to know the advantages of a Mac.

BornAgainMac: Hrmm but i see the os 9 to os 10 was kinda forced on by Mac buy not making anymore drivers for the os9, am i wrong here? Ill agree on the less virus and less software problems, but then again why i think there is a lack of software problems is because there are a lack of programs to begin with. Am i wrong? please let me know

Krimson: no comment

Celeron: Wow microsoft plans on supporting windows 98 through 2006? thats like 8 years... amazing.

Thank you for your time. And this is not a flame thread. Please tell me why i should switch to Mac!

Tom

P.S. please don't trash this post

Sun Baked
Jun 18, 2004, 03:17 PM
I posted this ariticle: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=76017 and for some reason it was thrown into the "wasteland" it wasn't intended to be a flame thread at all. A certain section of the thread looks like you were trolling for a flamewar.I am a PC fan. A big one personally, im all about performance and games. Only thing i could possible find a mac good for is photo editing and video editing. other then that what is a mac good for? Warcraft 3 and thats it? If you want to learn about Macs, this isn't a good start.

And this thread WILL probably get wastelanded, since you seem to want to keep the thread you started going.

Savage Henry
Jun 18, 2004, 03:21 PM
Yep....Definately no flame there! :rolleyes:

The answer, Grasshopper, is a simple one. Apple's are better. So there. :p

They are better for me at home and at work. It's a matter of choice, so get over it.

Do you shout at strangers in supermarket demanding they explain to you why you should buy their favourite brand of cereal???

:confused:

intomwetrust
Jun 18, 2004, 03:26 PM
I figured this was the best place to get a good opinion on the advantages of a mac, but all i get from my post is flames :( can some one PLEASE tell me why i should switch to mac?

jxyama
Jun 18, 2004, 03:30 PM
if one wanted to make a genuine inquiry about something, the polite way to do it is to start humbly and ask honest questions.

the way NOT to do it is to make generalizations based on ignorance or "challenge" the experts to convince you (as if those experts owe you something).

if you really thought there was nothing flaming/trollish about your original post, then you should think twice before you post.

jxyama
Jun 18, 2004, 03:34 PM
can some one PLEASE tell me why i should switch to mac?

what do you want to do? if you want to play latest games at the best setting, Mac isn't it for you.

if you want to have pleasant computing experience, especially dealing with multimedia files (music, pictures, movies), then Macs with their integrated software will get things done cleanly, easily and at very high quality.

krimson
Jun 18, 2004, 03:38 PM
If you really are a core gamer, i won't even bother telling you why you should switch. Gaming really isn't the same on a Mac vs PC.

Why should you switch?
Because you've used one and you've decided you could get more done with one.. not because someone gave you a bunch of static reasons why you should... simple as that, IMO.

superninjagoat
Jun 18, 2004, 03:38 PM
if one wanted to make a genuine inquiry about something, the polite way to do it is to start humbly and ask honest questions.

the way NOT to do it is to make generalizations based on ignorance or "challenge" the experts to convince you (as if those experts owe you something).

if you really thought there was nothing flaming/trollish about your original post, then you should think twice before you post.

jxyama, I appreciate your sentiment, but you're still feeding the troll.

If you think someone is flaming or trolling, IMHO the best thing to do is ignore it. Especially on the Mac vs. Win thing. Mac users spend so much time defending ourselves in the WinTel world, why would we want to do the same within our own community?

Trolls are only disruptive if we let them be. Nothing makes a troll happier than to get a half dozen people up-at-arms. It makes them feel powerful. And, if they're not purposefully trolling, the person simply gets ignored. Then, perhaps the lack of feedback will cause them to change their tactic.

Still, a little flaming can be an interesting read. I'd give this thread about five more minutes, whadda you think?

jknight8907
Jun 18, 2004, 03:43 PM
Since I happen to be in an unusually good mood today (possibly from the overdose of T1 internet i've got this week), here's my $.02. I think that both Macs and PCs are good machines. It just depends on what you use them for. If you do nothing but play UT2004, COD, BFVietnam, etc, then the PC will probably be your best bet. But if you do graphical design, video editing, web producing, or general internet work, and even some moderate gaming, the Apple generally tends to work out better.

So there you go.

Now my flame-bait reply:

If you're going to post, type it up and then read it to see if you would say that to a 300lb biker dude's face.

Thirteenva
Jun 18, 2004, 04:00 PM
intomwetrust ...what kind of response did you hope to generate with that post... and with this one... FLAMEBAIT... move along pc boy, take your ignorance with you...

Sun Baked
Jun 18, 2004, 04:21 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14484

Horrortaxi
Jun 18, 2004, 07:06 PM
Does this happen every summer? Bored 13 year olds try to stir stuff up on the innernet on their vacations. At least MacRumors is decently moderated.

OziMac
Jun 18, 2004, 08:19 PM
Hmm, he does seem more sincere this time, perhaps fanning the flames is not so productive anymore. I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt,I don't think he's a troll.

Tom, I read your post last night and found it quite difficult to restrain being flame-baited. However, given you do have what appears to be a sincere question, a few notes -

First, be careful how you word posts in forums - the wonderful thing about the internet is that it removes all voice intonation and facial suggestion from communication, which means that your words in their literal form are the only thing that is being received by others - and if there's even a hint of a challenge, people will jump at you.

None of us can tell you why you should switch. That depends entirely on your own personal circumstances and preferences. You should try out a few Macs for yourself, do a bit of research on what they run and how well. We can only tell you our own experiences, and generally speaking, they will be fairly one-sided.

Given that you seem predisposed to gaming, as suggested above, perhaps a PC will suit you better. I don't think too many people would argue that point significantly. As for myself, I don't play games that much anymore (a blessing in disguise perhaps ;)), but when I do, I tend to use my PS2 because I prefer that sort of gaming experience. Again, personal preference.

As for your Airport problems, sounds unfortunate but I can't really offer much advice in that respect as I haven't really had any experience with Airport. My experience with Airport Extreme has been completely without a hitch.

The OS drivers problem is not unique to Apple - Win2000 and Win98 are not as easy to run modern (and even older) hardware on these days, drivers tend to be made by manufacturers rather than Microsoft, and obviously Microsoft wants to attract people to XP (that's their prerogative and makes perfect commercial sense). The same goes for Apple, though generally you'll find OS 9 quite robust, and drivers for things like Airport are still out there to find. But OS X is the here, now and near future for Apple, so it also makes sense that they'd be pushing that as much as they could.

Now, your comment about 'when you first thought macs, you thought IPOD' seems a little strange, and I hope doesn't inadvertently betray your age. You'll find that most people associate Macs with... Macs - unless you were born after 1990 or thereabouts. We used Macs all through primary and high school and I was utterly unimpressed by them until I switched a bit over two years ago. But nevertheless, I don't necessarily think that since the iPod is now also for Windows that its switching ability is defeated. iPods and iTunes are showcases of the simplicity, usability, seamless integration and power of Apple software/hardware. If using them is the pleasant experience to PC users as it is to Mac users, of course it may have some effect on people considering whether a Mac may be right for them.

If you want to know the advantages of a Mac above a PC, you have to get out there and find out for yourself, because none of what any of us can tell you can or should seal the deal for you. Only you know what's right for you, so check them out personally.

On another note, to the rest of you guys, I've found myself flamed by what appear to be kids several times over the last few days - are you guys saying that school is out and we're going to be bombarded by them over the next few months? Because that will be... ahem... fun? :rolleyes:

aussie_geek
Jun 18, 2004, 08:46 PM
On another note, to the rest of you guys, I've found myself flamed by what appear to be kids several times over the last few days - are you guys saying that school is out and we're going to be bombarded by them over the next few months? Because that will be... ahem... fun? :rolleyes:

I reakon we are in for a hot flaming USA summer (it's autumn here in AUS). I have had a few comments in the last couple of days as well...

aussie_geek

ps - I like sun baked's image of Pinky and the Brain :D

OziMac
Jun 18, 2004, 08:49 PM
I reakon we are in for a hot flaming USA summer (it's autumn here in AUS). I have had a few comments in the last couple of days as well...

aussie_geek

ps - I like sun baked's image of Pinky and the Brain :D

Mate, you MUST be a Sydneysider to call June autumn ;)

I hear you've had some great weather there recently. We dream of that stuff here lol :D

intomwetrust
Jun 18, 2004, 09:05 PM
Wow what a great turn out. I suppose my first post could seem flamish but it wasn't intended to be. A lot of people seem to be angry with that post. I am sorry if i angred anyone. As for those who think I am a 13-year-old Anti-Mac person you are wrong. I am a 15-year-old(like that makes a difference) and im not neither for or against Mac. But from what i've read from all you contributers is that PC is better for gaming and Mac is better for video/photo editing and basic internet usage. Unless there are any other reasons i should switch to mac ill conclude this message with saying "thanks"
Tom

aussie_geek
Jun 18, 2004, 09:16 PM
Mate, you MUST be a Sydneysider to call June autumn ;)

I hear you've had some great weather there recently. We dream of that stuff here lol :D

Whoops... :eek: It is winter :rolleyes: LOL!!

Just shows you how much time I spend indoors in a temperature regulated environment.

aussie_geek (:o with tail between his legs)

7on
Jun 18, 2004, 09:44 PM
you're welcome

King Cobra
Jun 18, 2004, 09:51 PM
Do I have to start kicking newbs around like sand again? I'm in the mood, since I've been having some very aggravating problems (resolved now) with some of my software after recently doing an "Erase and Install" of Panther. Go figure! http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_snipersmilie.gif

With regard to the Mac/PC debate:
Overall, in order to make a developed decision as to whether or not one should switch to a Mac (or PC), you need to think about a lot of little/medium activities that you'll be doing on a computer. So given a PC with a P4 running XP Pro, and a Mac with a G4 running OS X (Jaguar or Panther, your pic), both of equal processor speeds and equal RAM...

[1] Advanced mathematical imagery algorithms - includes mostly polygonal manipulation in 2D and some 3D much like some of the filters from Photoshop and Maya: Mac ≥ PC
[2] Video rendering/animations involving very complex/large algorithms: Mac ≥ PC (though some 3D renders are quicker on the PC)
[3] Audio editing, playback and production: Mac > PC (and if you witnessed the presentation of the G5 vs. the Xeon at WWDC in which the G5 had a less processor speed, you would know)
[4] Basic text editing, word processing, email, web browsing, and simple linear regression error analysis (often used in Physics lab reports through Excel): Mac < PC
[5] (as discussed already) Videogaming: Mac < PC
[6] Cheaper low-end machines: Mac < PC
[7] Cheaper high-end machines: Mac ≈ PC
[8] Looks more attractive: Mac > PC

And that's to start off. Those are some general things to consider when deciding when to get a Mac or PC, but there is also the software division, and I'll start with just a few examples of: OS X (the better of Jaguar or Panther) vs. XP Pro:

[1] Support for 3rd-party hardware: OS X < XP
[2] Simplified functionality, can be made significantly more or less technical for each user: OS X ≥ XP
[3] Overall stability and crash-resistance: OS X ≈ XP (very debatable because of each user's behavior on either OS)
[4] More free built-in features and cheaper software: OS X > XP
etc.

So when comparing a Mac to a PC in order to decide whether or not you should switch from your current platform, you need to break down the word "compare" into what specific activities you'll be doing, and how much of each you'll spend time on. Of course, you might want to take into account other things if you like pinstripes and the color blue, or if you like seeing "Are you sure" messages a lot of the time, or if you like seeing the "Start" button engraved on your monitor. But whether you're new to computers or not, any well-developed decision as to whether or not to "switch" would be made after taking into account the above [numbers] and anything else you might see as important.

Whoops... :eek: It is winter :rolleyes: LOL!!

Just shows you how much time I spend indoors in a temperature regulated environment.
Make sure to keep an eye out for your flame-bitten underwater there, Sunny. http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_shocked.gif http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/new_snipersmilie.gif

intomwetrust
Jun 19, 2004, 02:47 AM
WOW! awesome reply! thats is what i was looking for. Well looks like ill stick with my PC because i mainly use it for gaming and web browsing. Thank you

virividox
Jun 19, 2004, 03:11 AM
WOW! awesome reply! thats is what i was looking for. Well looks like ill stick with my PC because i mainly use it for gaming and web browsing. Thank you

different strokes for different folks