Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I need help making my decision.....

I need to buy a new computer and I'm not sure if I should get a PowerMac G5 (new 1.8 dual model) or wait until the new Imacs come out.

What are the differences between an Imac and PowerMac besides processor speed?

I really like the look and feel of the current white Imacs and I hope Apple doesn't change the style (perhaps the color though). A friend told me that the Imacs are not as expandable as the Powermacs. Is this true? How many devices can I hook to an Imac versus a PowerMac G5?

(About me: I have a home based business and I use my computer mainly for archiving photos, email, browsing the internet, watching QuickTime videos, AppleWorks, Word, and some graphic design. I want a computer that you can hook up 4-5 devices to, expand in the future, that's fast, etc.)

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
you really cannot compare an existing machine with a machine that does not exist. since the iMac is (maybe) going to G5, who's to say it wont get a major redesign like the PowerMac G5 did, or the iMac G4 did.

the only thing you can assume is that it will have at least the current specs (or better) in terms of ram, hd, vid card, and that it wont be any cheaper than the current G4 models.

if you do alot of multitasking, get the PowerMac, if you don't get an iMac.
no need to spend money on dual processors if you won't use the technology.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Mac2004 said:
I need help making my decision.....

I need to buy a new computer and I'm not sure if I should get a PowerMac G5 (new 1.8 dual model) or wait until the new Imacs come out.

What are the differences between an Imac and PowerMac besides processor speed?

I really like the look and feel of the current white Imacs and I hope Apple doesn't change the style (perhaps the color though). A friend told me that the Imacs are not as expandable as the Powermacs. Is this true? How many devices can I hook to an Imac versus a PowerMac G5?

(About me: I have a home based business and I use my computer mainly for archiving photos, email, browsing the internet, watching QuickTime videos, AppleWorks, Word, and some graphic design. I want a computer that you can hook up 4-5 devices to, expand in the future, that's fast, etc.)

Both will offer plenty of external expansion. WIth USB and FireWire, external expansion for 4 or 5 devices is not an issue with either.

Internal expansion is a whole different matter. The iMac will allow you to upgrade RAM and that's about it. The PM has expansion slots and additional drive bays.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
My advice is to wait and see what WWDC brings. Who knows, the iMac might have a complete redesign!

I do think that the iMac will go G5 at WWDC, but I don't know about the redesign. As of right now, internal upgrades are much harder on an iMac than on a G5.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have a 17" iMac and a G5. The G5 is much faster, of course. However, if you don't need all that speed, the iMac is much, much easier to place around the house. Mine has an AirPort card and Bluetooth KB and mouse. Aside from the power cord, there are zero cables. That, in my mind, is a big plus.

The G5 - which I love, by the way - is a giant hulking beast which requires a crane to move and which uses a separate monitor.

So, if you need the speed, go PowerMac. Otherwise, I'd say go iMac if you're not going to stress the system. I would, however, wait to see if newer iMacs are released shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.