PDA

View Full Version : Creating a semi-professional home studio setup...

garrettjohn
Aug 7, 2009, 01:22 PM
and I'm a little stuck. I work primarily in video, but audio is pretty important with my work. There's a bluebird microphone coming in the mail next week, and a wonderful M-Audio Fast Track Pro to accompany it. However, friends, I can find a decent floor stand to put next to my desk. Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate any input you have to offer.

Budget for stand: $100, preferably less. And to clarify... the microphone will be used primarily for dialogue tracks over my video (narration and such).

Oh, and does anyone recommend the latest Logic Pro update?

Thanks in advance. :)

zimv20
Aug 7, 2009, 05:31 PM
you're looking for a mic stand? they're $20 at guitar center.

regarding your title, you'll need some kind of room treatment to get a non-bedroom sound. way more important than the mic stand.

brmaki
Aug 11, 2009, 02:15 PM
you're looking for a mic stand? they're $20 at guitar center.

regarding your title, you'll need some kind of room treatment to get a non-bedroom sound. way more important than the mic stand.

+1 do a search for some diy treatment options, even some bass traps in the corners of your room would make a huge difference.

DIY Bass Trap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw)

ChrisA
Aug 11, 2009, 04:03 PM
and I'm a little stuck. I work primarily in video, but audio is pretty important with my work. There's a bluebird microphone coming in the mail next week, and a wonderful M-Audio Fast Track Pro to accompany it. However, friends, I can find a decent floor stand to put next to my desk. Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate any input you have to offer.

Budget for stand: $100, preferably less. And to clarify... the microphone will be used primarily for dialogue tracks over my video (narration and such).

Oh, and does anyone recommend the latest Logic Pro update?

Thanks in advance. :)

I just bought a mic stand at Guitar Center for $14. It is full height adjustable and came with a boom. If you want to turn it into a truly professional model place a sand bag (oe shoot bag) over the legs then it will not tip over or just spend $50 on the model with the cast iron base. Any GC or Sam Ash store will sell you several good stands for $100.

You may want to pick up a long mic cable while you are there. You really, really want to get that mic stand far away from your desk and any hard reflective surfaces. $100 is a reasonable budget for a cable and a stand. Maybe a pop filter too but you ca DIY and save some $$.

garrettjohn
Aug 11, 2009, 05:37 PM
Thank you all for your input. I'll tell you how everything works out, feel free to check back later!