PDA

View Full Version : Tabbed Finder

StrangeQuark
Jun 19, 2004, 02:19 AM
I use the tabbed browsing feature in Safari too much. I've recently found myself hitting ⌘-T in the Finder. Now, I want tabbed windows in the Finder. Am I neurotic in my desire for a tabbed Finder, or do some of you share my wishes? Also, does Apple have any formal way to make interface suggestions.

BoneyardBoy
Jun 19, 2004, 05:10 AM
I was thinking the other day i bet that's one of the features they'll have in Tiger. We shall soon see. It'll be really useful i think

russed
Jun 19, 2004, 06:23 AM
i think that is a really cool idea. isnt there somewhere on the apple site you can send ideas to them?

Savage Henry
Jun 19, 2004, 06:29 AM
Good idea for sure.

But you lose the sexy animation that arrived with Jaguar because you'd just need the one window. Surely Exposť is worth keeping? :confused:

Sabbath
Jun 19, 2004, 06:38 AM
Yup more tabs would definitely be a good thing.

In finder and iTMS and maybe some other places I can't think of right now. Having the option to use tabs is just so handy, its not always better than separate windows but the option is defintely always welcome.

mkrishnan
Jun 19, 2004, 07:32 AM

In finder and iTMS and maybe some other places I can't think of right now. Having the option to use tabs is just so handy, its not always better than separate windows but the option is defintely always welcome.

Yeah, I adore tabs too...I love my Safari and Adium tabs. I cringe every time I have to use MSIE and I'm tabless. :( Tabs on Finder would be nice, as long as the tabs support drag-n-drop, in the sense that you can drag a file from the view in one tab to the tab bar to another tab.

BTW, are there any recommendations for freeware OS X file browsers that incorporate some features not in finder? Emphasis on something that lets you find/manipulate files easily and can show you a lot of information at once...

Doraemon
Jun 19, 2004, 08:34 AM
If I remember correctly, tabbed Finder is a rumored feature of 10.4.

howard
Jun 19, 2004, 08:39 AM

definitely iTMS i've longed for tabs there

finder, eh, i'd probably use them but i'm not super excited by them, the most windows i ever up in the finder is 2 whereas with web and if they had it on itms i could have as much as a dozen windows

FattyMembrane
Jun 19, 2004, 10:34 AM
sorry to be the dissenting opinion here, but i don't think a tabbed finder is that great of an idea. tabs aren't on in safari by default because, believe it or not, they confuse some people. you show some people tabs, and they look at them like some kind of voodoo and proceed to switch back to ie and open up 3000 windows. stupid, i know, but the tab metaphor would likely be even more confusing in a file browser. the sidebar, expose, and spring-loaded folders solve most of the problems with this. tabs in the finder would likely be more confusing for newbies and may actually end up getting in the way without people realizing it. i certainly don't think that the os should be dumbed down for people who can't find the close-window button, but even as a tab-activist, i don't think finder tabs would be as useful as they are in browsers, chat clients, etc.

StrangeQuark
Jun 19, 2004, 01:15 PM
sorry to be the dissenting opinion here, but i don't think a tabbed finder is that great of an idea. tabs aren't on in safari by default because, believe it or not, they confuse some people. you show some people tabs, and they look at them like some kind of voodoo and proceed to switch back to ie and open up 3000 windows. stupid, i know, but the tab metaphor would likely be even more confusing in a file browser. the sidebar, expose, and spring-loaded folders solve most of the problems with this. tabs in the finder would likely be more confusing for newbies and may actually end up getting in the way without people realizing it. i certainly don't think that the os should be dumbed down for people who can't find the close-window button, but even as a tab-activist, i don't think finder tabs would be as useful as they are in browsers, chat clients, etc.

You've given the solution even as you cast the dissenting opinion. Leave them off by default. Those of us who would appreciate and use the tabs could turn it on as we see fit. For those that don't, they may be blissfully ignorant.

Good idea for sure.
But you lose the sexy animation that arrived with Jaguar because you'd just need the one window. Surely Exposť is worth keeping?

Actually it was Panther. In any event though, Exposť would remain. It's also useful for switching between applications, and for applications where there are no tabs, or tabs wouldn't work.

Gherkin
Jun 19, 2004, 01:22 PM
Wouldn't drag and drop be pretty hard?

Savage Henry
Jun 19, 2004, 01:47 PM
Actually it was Panther.

Yeah, I realised after I posted but couldn't be bothered to edit.:o

In any event though, Exposť would remain. It's also useful for switching between applications, and for applications where there are no tabs, or tabs wouldn't work.

I still feel it would be too static and not have the charm that Exposť brings, can't really add more than that to defend it's non-introduction. Functionality-wise I think it's an excellent idea that I'm all for.

Counterfit
Jun 19, 2004, 02:30 PM
Wouldn't drag and drop be pretty hard? Not if the tabs are spring-loaded like folders and the stuff in the sidebar.

themadchemist
Jun 19, 2004, 03:36 PM
Until you posted this, I didn't even know there was a tabbed window feature in Safari. I'm trying it out now and it seems extremely useful...I can be a cantakerous ol' fogie who takes a while to warm up to new features, but this is one of the rare features that I have immediately recognized as very useful and intuitive.

I think your suggestion is a good one and hopefully it'll be implemented as a feature, albeit optional.

Macmaniac
Jun 19, 2004, 03:55 PM
I would love a tabbed finder, I always have a million windows open and it would make moving files so much easier, all you would have to do is have the two tabs up and drag a file on top of the tab so the file would move into the selected tab! That would be awesome!

Elan0204
Jun 19, 2004, 05:44 PM
Here is a cool Finder mockup created by Foocha of what he wants the Tiger Finder to look like (I think it looks pretty good too). It incorporates tabs, among other cool features. The full thread this picture is from can be found here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=70486).

edit: I reduced the size/quality of the image to get it under the 100Kb attachment limit, and so that dialup users don't have to load the full image just to view this thread. The full size (about 400Kb) image can be found here (http://demo.taglab.com/finder_tiger.jpg).