Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
oh god. if you want a PC, at least grab one of the Thinkpad T-series. not an eMachine. gah.

but really, unless your school required the use of Windows for certain things you just can't substitute at all, or you really wanna play games, go with the powerbook.

awesomebase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Maryland
Believe it or not, I have both!

This post was made for me! Yes, believe it or not, I have both laptops. I have the eMachines 6805, it is a great machine, but I got it only because I need it for work. I actually enjoy my TiPB 550MHz machine better for a few reasons. One, I can open/shut my laptop and have it resume/close right away with the Apple (the Windows Hibernate option takes too much time and often results in the "Blue Screen Of Death"). The other is that for some reason it is easier to type on the Apple... you don't accidentally touch the touch pad as often and the new Apple PowerBooks are even better than mine. Another advantage is that the Apple has much more battery time than the eMachines. The eMachines lasts about 1.5 hours without a plug in. The PowerBook is easily twice to three times that. The last major thing is that the PowerBook is just so much lighter and thinner.
Of course, I will say that the eMachines is actually a great value and there is no doubt that when Windows comes out with the 64-bit edition of their OS, that we'll see an immediate speed boost from the machine. However, If I didn't have to get this laptop, I would have definitely sprung for the PowerBook. This is just my own experience, I hope it helps you a little. Take care!

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
OMFG, Emachins, my eyes are burning, take it out, take it out.

When you want a PC notebook, IBM's ThinkPad should be on the top of the list.

And you should definitely take the 15" PB, you don't even have to think about it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Step up in quality from eMachines to a Sam's World product from Wally World.
attachment.php

scottkle

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2004
Sun Baked said:
Step up in quality from eMachines to a Sam's World product from Wally World.
attachment.php

No offense to the original poster, because I know these forums are for questions .. but yours is dumb. Why in God's green earth would you want an emachine? Unless it's 12 bucks, just say no!!!

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
http://emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6805# said:
Good things come in small packages - like the M6805. It's thin. It's portable.

Then, on the bottom of that page in the system specifications:

http://emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6805# said:
Dimensions: 1.6"h x 14.0"w x 10.4"d
Weight: 7.5 lbs. (8.65 total travel weight)

I like how eMachines imitates Steve Jobs by saying short sentences like "It's thin" and "it's portable". Very cute. But it was Apple who stole one of their computer lines from eMachines!! the eMac(hines) :p

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Wow, a bunch of ignorant Mac fiends. Big surprise.

For your guy's information, Emachines' line of notebooks are GREAT laptops. Most companies outsource (infact, I guess probably all) their laptop production. So just because Emachines makes terrible desktop computers, their laptops are actually very, very good. My friend has one (the 15.4" widescreen one) and it's a great little machine. If I didn't get my Powerbook, I probably would have gotten an Emachines. Great laptop with great value.

There, you learn something new every day.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
scottkle said:
No offense to the original poster, because I know these forums are for questions .. but yours is dumb. Why in God's green earth would you want an emachine? Unless it's 12 bucks, just say no!!!

Haha, I really like this one. Just total and complete lack of knowledge on the subject at hand and then he goes and calls the original poster dumb. Oh boy.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Actually my first PC was an eMachine and was amazing value for money, not to mention being very reliable; i still have it too, even though i am a diehard Mac fan! Just thought i'd mention this since you guys seem intent on bashing anything that isn't Mac :), and, just because it isn't as good as the PowerBook. Doesn't mean it isn't a good machine!

Mark.

goodknight411

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
MiddlaNowhere, Arkansas
Ok, so excluding the fact that this is a mac/pc war waiting to happen. (sorry bout that. :p ) Which of the two is better performance-wise? How about for photo editing (nothing too major, but high quality pictures)?
Thanks everybody.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Gherkin said:
Haha, I really like this one. Just total and complete lack of knowledge on the subject at hand and then he goes and calls the original poster dumb. Oh boy.
eMachines has done an amazing job of coming back from their bankruptcy and stopping the red ink, but the connection with Gateway's red tide right now could be a problem for the company.

One of the brands will die soon, should be interesting to see if it's Gateway or eMachines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.