Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junkregistratio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Troubleshooting Guide to Boot Camp 2.1 & Boot Camp 3.0
--------------------------------------------------------

With a Mac Book Pro Os X Leopard and Windows XP Pro. I am providing this guide because I spent literally days & days installing Boot camp XP and fixing the various problems related to this, most often related to driver bugs. If I can save you the Nightmare I had it will be worth my time to write this guide for you!

Most of this guide was written based on Boot Camp 2.1 but I have just installed Boot Camp 3.0 and found that this guide works great for 3.0. I was also able to install all of the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers on my Mac with the exception of

AppleKeyboardInstaller.FAILED.exe
AppleMultiTouchTrackPadInstaller.FAILED.exe
AppleTrackpadInstaller.FAILED.exe

Obviously trying to install newer drivers on older hardware is a risk becase there is a chance that they upgraded the hardware and the drivers not just the drivers. However I took the chance and I am now running Bootcamp 3.0. So for those of you who want to do this you can. You will have to download the new driver which are not available from Apple and are only found on the Apple Windows Disc supplied with a new computer or on the internet if you know where to look.

Install Windows XP on FAT32
----------------------------

While using Mac if you ONLY want to be able to read XP files (NTFS or FAT32) then skip this section because OS X Leopard is able to correctly detect NTFS and FAT32 disks in READ ONLY mode.

However if you want to be able to read & write XP files (NTFS or FAT32) in Mac then you would install a program like Paragon NTFS or NTFS-3G. However once you do this you will experience this Problem:

Windows partition missing from Mac 'startup disk' menu when using NTFS-3G or Paragon NTFS in Mac (Boot camp 2.1 fails to fails to show windows disk in startup menu after installing NTFS-3G or Paragon NTFS)

It is unclear who is to blame for this bug. Both Paragon and NTFS-3G DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIX the problem so the finger is pointed at this being an Apple Boot Camp bug! Don't hold your breath for a bug fix from Apple because I saw people have been having this problem for several years. It would be nice if the Apple cared a bit more about the Windows people they are trying to win over but anyway we are grateful for Boot Camp (even if it is as buggy as hell).

First my personal experience, I had it working perfectly before and after loading NTFS-3G onto my Macbook. I also had it working perfectly with Paragon NTFS. Then after a few months I reinstalled XP. Suddenly it no longer worked! Very frustrating when you KNOW it can work perfectly. It took me several days to figure out that this due to the fact that I had first installed XP and formatted as FAT32 but the second time had installed XP and formatted as NTFS!!

Running Chkdsk with all of the different parameters DOES NOT fix this problem. I know I tried absolutely everything on my NTFS disk in order to get it to work properly.

Note : Although FAT32 can not handle more than 32GB partition or files sizes bigger then 4 GB this is little incovenience since you can still have a second hard drive that is formated to NTFS USB.

ONLY KNOWN Solution for this problem:

Format XP using FAT32. Apple understands FAT32 and everything will work as normal!
Do not format using NTFS as Apple does not understand it and XP will be missing from the 'startup disk' menu!

NTFS users can use this work around solution:

Install Paragon NTFS and use Paragon to set your boot partition and then reboot.

The least desirable solution:

Hold the ALT key down while booting and choose XP.

Install Boot Camp version 2.1
------------------------------

Using the disc that comes with your Apple Mac Book Pro. The windows drivers will be automatically loaded when you install Boot camp in Windows. After Installation you can update the following drivers to these versions or newer but it is not necessary :

Realtek HD Audio R2.27 (5.10.0.5874) (2009-06-16)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT v185.85 (07.05.2009) (v6.14.11.8585)
NVIDIA driver can be found on there web site

Marvell Yukon 88E8058 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (10.51.1.9) (06/12/2007)
This Marvell driver can be found by using 'Windows Update' and choosing Custom

Wrong Time Problems in Windows or Mac
--------------------------------------

Mac sets the hardware clock to UTC and Windows sets it to Local Time. When you switch operating systems using Boot Camp you may find that the time is wrong in windows. However if you change the time in Windows you will then find the time is wrong in Mac when you boot back.

If you are permanently connected to the internet this problem is easily avoided as both Windows and Mac are set by default, to update the clock from an internet time server. This will occur at some point during the boot procedures. This will fail if you have set automatic time synchronization off.

If you are not permanently connected to the internet you are stuck with this problem. However you can make your life slightly easier by creating a script to change the time for you. The script will simply add or subtract your time zone from the hardware clock and write the time back. You will need one script in Apple and one in Windows. I have not written the scripts so you will have to make one or find one on the internet.

Apple could easily program Boot Camp to handle this problem for but for some unknown reason they don’t. In order for Apple to handle this problem they would need to set one flag (perhaps in the BIOS) which indicates whether the clock has been set in Local Time or not. When booting to windows Boot Camp is automatically loaded and it checks the flag and if required adjusts the time (To Local Time) and sets the flag to true. When booting to Mac Boot Camp is loaded and it checks the flag and if required adjusts the time (Back to UTC time) sets the flag to false. This is a really annoying problem for Boot Camp users which is VERY EASY for Apple to fix. This problem has been around for several years since the introduction of Boot Camp which means Apple is disinterested in solving it. This is simply a Bad Decision from Apple because they if they are trying to win the hearts of Windows people they should make the switch to Mac as painless as possible. The users don’t care who is to blame for the problem, they bought an Apple and were promised they could dual boot; all they want is what was offered to them.

Bootcamp KbdMgr.exe Latency Problems Slowing Your XP (Boot Camp 2.1)
Bootcamp bootcamp.exe Latency Problems Slowing Your XP (Boot Camp 3.0)
-----------------------------------------------------

I could not fix this problem but found an easy work around.

First check if your latency is being affected by the 'KbdMgr.exe' / 'bootcamp.exe' driver. Use 'DPC Latency Checker'. If the latency is green then you are OK! Skip Adead. If your latency is red then kill the 'KbdMgr.exe' / 'bootcamp.exe' in the task manager and check the latency. If it drops then this work around applies to you.

Open the Boot Camp directory in your Program Files directory. The real 'KbdMgr.exe' / 'bootcamp.exe' is renamed to something else like 'Bootcamp.Original.exe' so that you can use it to boot back to Mac when you want to. Create a shortcut to the new name from from your desktop.

Then create an empty text file and give it the name 'KbdMgr.exe' / 'bootcamp.exe'. This will allow your PC to boot normally and run normally but will prevent Boot Camp loading automatically.

However once you do this certain features stop working like backlighting on the keyboard. If you want to turn on backlighting or use the Apple F keys simple run the shortcut, do what you want, they kill the process, which would now be called "Bootcamp.Original.exe". Remember Backlight turns on or off depending on how much light is in the room. Backlighting will remain in whatever state it is in at the time that you kill the "Bootcamp.Original.exe" process.

Wireless Problems
------------------

The Broadcom 802.11 Wireless drivers for the (BCM 4328) are unstable and often loose connection or freeze or stop working for no reason. The driver that causes this problem is version 4.170.25.12 (20/09/2007) BCMWL5.SYS & bcmwlcoi.dll.

Update the Broadcom drivers to Broadcom 802.11 Wireless (5.10.91.8) (4322AG)

Broadcom 802.11 Wireless drivers must be force installed to 4322AG. You can do this after installation by using the device manager and updating the driver to 4322AG. These drivers are 'borrowed' from another Broadcom 802.11 Wireless device since an update for the BCM 4328 drivers are not available from Apple or Broadcom.

Sound Problems
---------------

The Broadcom 802.11 Wireless drivers (BCM 4328) drivers cause sound problems. Music or sound stutters or slows on playback. The driver that causes this problem is version 4.170.25.12 (20/09/2007) BCMWL5.SYS & bcmwlcoi.dll. Problems Fixed by Doing the Broadcom wireless update above.

Apple Touch Pad Problems
-------------------------

The drivers supplied on the Boot Camp disc from Apple work but do not install correctly for some unknown reason. Once installed correctly then they do work. The driver install files are:

AppleMultiTouchTrackPad.exe
AppleTrackpad.exe

Your Apple Touch Pad Drivers are working when Device Manager shows:

Apple MultiTouch
Apple Multitouch Mouse

And you can do a right click by holding two fingers on the touch pad and doing a click. You can scroll up and down using two fingers. Adjust the wheel scrolling speed to one line at a time under mouse properties in the control panel.

To install the drivers correctly use the Device Manager and look under Human Interface Devices. You should find two Apple 'Touchpad' drivers listed with a (Yellow !) change these drivers to use the 'USB Human Interface Device' driver. Then install both 'Apple MultiTouch TrackPad' and 'Apple Trackpad'. This should automatically update the 'USB Human Interface Devices' to the correct working Apple drivers. This worked for me. However if you are still having problems you can try the General Driver Installation Tips.

Keyboard Problems
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a MacBookPro Internal Keyboard and when I tried to attach a wider apple external USB Slim Keyboard it failed and then both keyboard drivers failed while I was trying to fix the external driver. You can try the following things to fix this problem.

Eventually I fixed my keyboard problems by follow general driver installation TIP 7 below.

If you have one Apple keyboard and it is installed correctly you will see
"Apple Keyboard" under "Human Interface Devices"
"HID Keyboard Device" under "Keyboards"

If you have an external USB apple keyboard you and it is installed correctly you will see

Strange, yes I know, for some reason you will see three "Apple Keyboard" listed. Why this is I don't know but it works so leave it alone.

Problem Creation of .DS_Store file on windows volumes when using NTFS-3G or Paragon NTFS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The creation of .DS_Store files (and more so, ._AppleDouble files which are not covered in this hint) is frequently the source of complaints against Mac users, who often leave a trail of these files scattered throughout the file system when "visiting" a Windows computer. Even with this hint in place, the .DS_Store files will continue to be created on local volumes (which is a good thing).

To prevent the creation of these files, open the Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

General Driver Installation Tips
--------------------------------
Avoid the Apple Windows Driver Nightmare
----------------------------------------

TIP 1 - Uninstalling Device Manager Configuration
-----

Uninstall all devices drivers that are failing and the scan for hardware changes.

TIP2 - Check for Driver Conflict
----

Make sure all non-Apple drivers are working properly. If not try and fix them first. I had a Logitech Mouse driver that was not working and suddenly when I fixed that at least half my Apple drivers started working. There was probably a resource conflict or some other relationship between the Logitech driver and the Apple Drivers.

TIP3 - Uninstalling the Driver by Deleting or Renaming the Driver
----

Sometimes you must physically delete the old driver file so that windows will correctly install the new one. The old file may have become corrupt or damaged.

However be WARNED when you uninstall of the driver from Device Manager THE DRIVER IS NOT PHYSICALLY UNINSTALLED. This can be very confusing. Windows says it is uninstalling the driver but what it is actually doing can more accurately be described as unloading the driver from use. The very next time you "scan for hardware change" or restart then windows will find and re-install (reload) the driver you just uninstalled (Unloaded). The result is that you THINK that you have just reinstalled the driver but in reality the driver file never changed only the Device Manger configurations changed. Using the following procedure will force windows to use a backup copy of the driver instead of just using the same one again.

Run uninstall in Device Manger for the driver.
Delete or rename the driver file.
Run Scan For Hardware Changes in the Device Manager.
You may have to use 'Unlocker Assistant' or kill some processes or use safe mode to do this.
You will notice that the driver file is found in many directories. Make sure you delete or rename the correct one:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
(Delete or rename the appropriate driver in this directory)

C:\WINDOWS\LastGood\system32\DRIVERS
(Leave this directory alone as it is used for restoring to last known good drivers)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE
(Leave this directory alone as it is used as a backup for drivers)

I found that this procedure worked for me when I had to replace a Logitech Mouse driver that was corrupted after hours and hours of frustration and of uninstalling (which was actually doing nothing).

TIP4 - Completely uninstall the driver using a 3rd party uninstall software
----

It may be necessary to completely uninstall the driver using a 3rd party uninstall software such as Revo. The Apple drivers will start with the name "Windows Driver Package" followed by the specific driver name for example "Apple Inc. Apple Keyboard".

TIP5 - You have accidentally uninstalled your mouse and now you can't do anything
----

If you are busy in Device Manager and working with 'Human Interface Devices' and accidentally uninstall one of these drivers which are related to your mouse driver your mouse will stop working. Don't reboot, just unplug your mouse and plug it in again and Windows will auto detect a new mouse driver for you. Just remember which driver it was and skip uninstalling that driver next time. This is easy to do as the drivers will always list in the same order even if there names are the same. Just remember it is the 3rd one down that is my mouse driver and skip that one.

TIP6 - Replace your Apple Drivers with Windows Generic Drivers Then Reinstall the Apple Drivers
----

Change your drivers that are listed with a Yellow exclamation Mark to use the 'USB Human Interface Device' driver. Then install the Apple driver using the appropriate Apple Driver installation file provided by Apple. Do a Scan for Hardware Changes afterwards if needed.
This should automatically update the 'USB Human Interface Devices' to the correct working Apple drivers. This worked for me for certain driver problems.

TIP7 - Delete the Windows WDF drivers and then install the Apple Drivers
----

This was the hardest problem to solve out of all my Apple Driver Problems. It took the most time to find the solution because it is not well know. Also I can not give you the technical reason why this works or what causes this problem. I can only tell you how to fix it on Windows XP running Boot Camp versions 2.1 or version 3.0.

My best guess is that this problem is either caused by a bug in the Apple drivers or it is caused by a bug in Microsoft Windows Driver Co-installer or in the Windows Driver Foundation drivers. In order to fix this problem rename or delete the follow files:

Wdf01000.sys, which is the framework library
WdfLdr.sys, which is a loader that loads the framework library

From this directory ONLY 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\'
Then install your Apple drivers and run 'Scan for hardware changes' afterwards if necessary.
ALSO CHECK THAT THE WDFCOINSTALLER DID ACTUALLY REINSTALL THE TWO DELETED OR RENAMED FILES!!!!!!

The Windows Drivers Foundation (WDF) includes frameworks for developing kernel-mode and user-mode drivers, and it includes several driver verification tools. The WDFCoInstaller which is included in the Apple driver installation package and is responsible for checking and upgrading the Windows Drivers Frameworks, if required, during installation of the Apple Driver. This forces the windows driver co-installer to runs the appropriate installation update package and extract and install the following files:

Wdf01000.sys, which is the framework library
WdfLdr.sys, which is a loader that loads the framework library

Even though the files which you delete or rename are replaced by exactly the same files (as confirmed with a binary comparison) this fixes the driver problem. Perhaps the WDF co-installer also updates some configurations which are actually the problem. I don't know but I have read on the internet is that Microsoft have used this particular fix themselves on there Customer Telephone Support Lines. I think they know what the problem is but are not telling us.

This is the reason why I bought a Mac because of I so sick of crashes and bugs and driver problems that seem so inherent in Windows. There are a few annoying things that a Mac does or doesn't do when compared to Windows BUT AT LEAST THE MAC IS STABLE AND DOESN'T CRASH EVERY FEW MONTHS.

TIP8 - Rollback your drivers
----

If you have been messing around and installing many drivers and your drivers still fail then try rollback the drivers from inside the Device Manager until you can't anymore and then try one of the above methods again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
A simple Chkdsk run on Windows in bootcamp may make this problem go away (it works for a multitude of sins). FAT32 is useless if you have file sizes bigger then 4 GB anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.