Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Am I really the only one that actually prefers the old plastic Macbooks as opposed to the new aluminum ones? There's just something about that white polycarbonate that was love at first sight! And the new ones just seem.......somewhat dull to me. Now, I'm not saying they're not beautiful. And certainly I can understand why people like them better. But personally........eh...

But alas, I can't get one! I only get a $10.00 a week allowance, and rarely ever get paid. I tried to get a job this year, but with time's being as hard as they are, I wasn't suprised to come up empty handed. Now I worry that I'll never get the chance to have the computer I've been dreaming of for three years...........

But I can dream..........

~Anywho, who else here prefers plastic to aluminum, and why?!

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK

I do. Because I know if I had an aluminium one, it would have a few dents in it already. :p
In all seriousness, I can't compare, since I haven't owned both. I'm just happy with this machine, regardless of what other people have or what else is out there.

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
God. Every year for so long I look at that one long, thin, wrapped box on my birthday! Hoping to see that shiny white computer and that beautiful little apple......................*sniff sniff*

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
The Aluminum MacBooks are very nice, but I kind of prefer the White MacBook. Sure the Aluminum has a faster processor, RAM, and VRAM but their not huge benefits unless your a professional who will really make use of them.

The LED Display on the Alu. is nice, and the glass looks sexy, but it has way too much glare. Also It is handy to have a removable battery. I know the MacBook Pro battery is supposed to last 7 hours and for years, but it is still nice to be able to have a spare. Also I don't really like the glass trackpad on the Pro.

Not to rub it in, but I will be getting a new White MacBook in about a week! :D

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I'm just worried about getting an allowance at all! Besides, I couldn't. Times being what they are today, how could I?

Now give it to me straight: They're gonna discontinue the polycarbonate line soon, aren't they?

The Aluminum MacBooks are very nice, but I kind of prefer the White MacBook. Sure the Aluminum has a faster processor, RAM, and VRAM but their not huge benefits unless your a professional who will really make use of them.

The LED Display on the Alu. is nice, and the glass looks sexy, but it has way too much glare. Also It is handy to have a removable battery. I know the MacBook Pro battery is supposed to last 7 hours and for years, but it is still nice to be able to have a spare. Also I don't really like the glass trackpad on the Pro.

Not to rub it in, but I will be getting a new White MacBook in about a week! :D

*kills you*

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
i prefer the poly, just because spares are cheap you can change the battery and with mine (blackbook 2.4 maxed 4gb ram) its a speedy comp) also im less worried about denting it etc. the alu's are epic but i feel that they are too fragile (for me) and that for the price of a alu mb you could get a poly mb and a massive second screen!

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I know what you mean! I love the Air, but would never buy it even with enough money simply because of the fact that if you dtop it, it's gone.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
Am I really the only one that actually prefers the old plastic Macbooks as opposed to the new aluminum ones? There's just something about that white polycarbonate that was love at first sight! And the new ones just seem.......somewhat dull to me. Now, I'm not saying they're not beautiful. And certainly I can understand why people like them better. But personally........eh...

But alas, I can't get one! I only get a $10.00 a week allowance, and rarely ever get paid. I tried to get a job this year, but with time's being as hard as they are, I wasn't suprised to come up empty handed. Now I worry that I'll never get the chance to have the computer I've been dreaming of for three years...........

But I can dream..........

Bro, I know how you feel right now, I was like that ALSO 3 years ago, I still had my old windows laptop, which was a piece of junk, but still gets me through the day, with my school work.

I'm sure you'll be lucky enough to get the Nvidia GFX on the whitebook. I have the M2007 WhiteBook, and it's okay. graphics wise not really cause it's intel. I really want to upgrade to the new kind of macbook.

and YES i prefer to get the Plastic MacBook instead of the aluminum because i think they are more sturdy, and I don't know it's just like that for me. I really wish they'd bring the Black Polycarbonate MacBook because that one just stands out. I'm not saying the white doesn't, but it's just much better IMO. I'm jealous of my friend who has the last blackbook before they discontinued it. She's very lucky to have that!!

and with the video my friend, check out my YouTube channel *link on the Signature* all my recent VLogs are recorded from my MacBook via iSight and internal mic.
also I sang a taylor swift song, just using my macbook. recorded once and edited with some effects with iMovie then I uploaded it on YouTube.

-Mark

matthewscott661

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2009
Chicago
I would have gotten the white MacBook if I knew it wasn't going to crack in less than a year. The original MacBooks in 2006 had this design flaw and Apple has yet to solve it.
After the 13" MacBook Pros came out the UB MacBooks were discounted to $999, the same price as their White siblings, so my choice was easy.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
Buy seriously, they are soon discontinuing them, aren't they?

No they won't be discontinuing it for a very long time, Actually a lot of college students, aka. freshmen students often buy the WhiteBook. it's only sometimes when a college person buys a PRO, because they might need it for their course. they need a really powerful machine so they buy the MB PRO.
But i'm really satisfied with the WhiteBook, I really want to trade mine to a BlackBook, it has that matte finish, and i don't know the Apple Logo light seems brighter on the BlackBook and the Pro's...

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
It's funny. EVERYONE I know seems to have this thing! Friends, siblings of friends, and family! Hell, my aunt called me up just last week for advice on buying her first Mac! None other than my precious Whitebook! Needless to say, I was pretty ticked off the rest of the day...

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
It's funny. EVERYONE I know seems to have this thing! Friends, siblings of friends, and family! Hell, my aunt called me up just last week for advice on buying her first Mac! None other than my precious Whitebook! Needless to say, I was pretty ticked off the rest of the day...

dude of course they're buying a mac. and they want to be satisfied with it, so they ask around
don't worry man. you'll have your mac sooner or later!!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
The white MacBook is a nice computer and serves its purpose well. I do have to say that I prefer the aluminum to the polycarbonate though, it just has a nicer feel to it. But my favorite design is the non-unibody MacBook Pro :)

And if you save up your allowance for a year without spending any then you could get a second hand MacBook. If you have other money saved up, then you might even get a refurbished MacBook for $750.

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I'll try..... But I am HORRIBLE at saving money. Plus, I kinds wanna buy new...Not because of quality concerns, but just for that unboxing experience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.