Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Copenhagen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I spilled water on my MacBook a few days ago. As soon as it happened I turned my Macbook off and turned it upside down to dry. The next day it wouldn't turn on. Does this mean I possibly short circuted it? Is my MacBook done with? Pretty sure I don't have the care plan, does that mean apple can't help?

Basically wondering how bad do you guys think my MacBook is, and if there is a possibilty of it being fixed before I begin thinking about buying another.

Thanks to anyone who can give me your opinions.

jmann

macrumors 604
You should have waited longer than a day to turn it on. Usually I recommend people to wait 1-2 weeks before attempting to turn it on. Because if it has ANY moisture inside it when you try to turn it on, you can make it worse. Take the battery out, and leave it in a warm ventilated place for at least a week before trying to turn it on again.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
As far as I know, there's nothing inside you can "check."

But, again, I'd recommend waiting at least a week before turning it on, and I'd keep it in a dry place. I actually did this same thing (spilled enough water on it to make it turn off, and I never tried to turn it on again until the next week) and kept it by my dehumidifier. I never had any problems with it after this, although I've since gotten another computer.

Take out all you can from the bottom/battery compartment: battery, HD, and RAM (although be particularly careful you don't "electrocute" the RAM with static electricity that may be lurking on your body). This should help it dry out faster, as well. Some people also keep drowned electronics in a bag of rice to help them dry, although you'd need a big bag of rice and I'd probably wrap the MacBook in at least a paper (or cloth) towel to prevent rice and rice debris from getting in to your machine. I can't say if this works or not, but it's worth a try.

Good luck! On the bright side, it wasn't a sugary drink, so you might be a bit better off. Or at least that's what I'm attributing my good luck with this situation to. :D (Although water can, of course, still damage the machine, especially hard water.)

core2duo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
When you're looking at a water damaged machine, there are two things that are likely to cause damage. First is trying to turn it on too soon after the spill, causing shorts because the water acts as a conductor. The second is the residue left behind by the water, which is both corrosive and conductive, and needs to be cleaned off if you want the computer to have a decent chance of working well again. A q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol is a good way to do this. You should be able to tell which components were damaged by their appearance.

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
if youve turned it on and theres no response then it might be too late :( same thing happened to me but with a beer and it was completely dead - try taking the ram battery and let it all dry and turn it on again - if the logic board is friend its dead :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.