Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I feel like i have 3.0 with all the issues i have with wi-fi.

It just goes away.

Like right now, i just picked it up to verify it was running 2.2.1 and i have no connection. i'm about 10 feet from the Time Capsule - and it happens when it's closer.....

Turning wi-fi on and off doesn't make it find it, i have to type the net info in. luckily i now have my stupid password memorized. :rolleyes: As long as i get teh SSID right, it almost seems to not matter what i put for the rest - if i muck the password it will re-connect, but if i type the SSID without the leading capital letter it won't.

This will go on, ALL. DAY. LONG. in fact, it's rare if i turn it on and it is still connected.

It was doing it before it freaked when it was 2 days old, and they had to do a full restore at the Apple Store on it. Still doing it.

The computer isn't dropping it's connection in the same room that i can see either.

I guess it's just telling me i don't NEED to be online.... like, do i really need to check that email in the kitchen - can't it wait until i can get back here to my desk? LOL!

But i'm mainly wondering if i need to call and file a complaint about it so it's on record. It was a refurb - so i have no idea if i inherited someone else's problems either.

Thanks bunches if you have anything to share.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I wonder if when the iPod goes to sleep mode it drops the connection?

That is what is happening - but it isn't every time either. Sometimes i can leave the house and come back and it connects right up. Most of the time i'm in the same room as the router and it won't re-connect without my typing in the network info.

I just have no clue if this is how ALL iPT's act - i don't hear any of my friends that have them complaining (they don't live near me) about it at all. It frankly sounds similar to the issues i keep reading about with 3.0. But it's not running 3.0 (and i'm way not excited about having worse wifi going to that).

If it always happened i might think i had issues with my Time Capsule setup.

Anyway, i have no clue.... and thankfully it's not the end of the world either.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
This happened to me on 2.2.1 but 3.0 fixed that....now I just have to worry about my iPod freezing every other day and having to wipe it and redownload ALL my apps [/dripping sarcasm]...

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
This happened to me on 2.2.1 but 3.0 fixed that....now I just have to worry about my iPod freezing every other day and having to wipe it and redownload ALL my apps [/dripping sarcasm]...

Oh gee, fun. not.

I've had that happen once - i was closer to an Apple Store than home and went there and they "fixed it" for me. That was my 2nd day of owning it.

It's nice to know though that the disappearing wifi was FIXED in 3.0 for someone.

Now, last night i connected manually about 8:30, ended up watching TV with my oldest till 9:30, it was still connected. Then, it was still connected at 5am, and then at 7:30am. At 8:10 when i went to check the calendar for the day - it was NOT connected. So maybe my taking a shower in another room sent funky waves thru the wall and broke up the connection between the devices? Of course, the shower was the tip of the triangle and they were about 15 feet apart.

It just makes no sense at all.

The other thing is that before i could remember my PW easy enough (i changed it to make it easier), i could force it to reconnect if i threw away/reset the Network Settings. I should go try that right now and see what it does.

I just am tired of typing the SSID, type & PW multiple times a day.

g2tegg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
Now, your saying that you cannot see the ssid under wifi settings? Have you tried going to another location to see if you can see other networks? It could simply be a wrong setting in your time capsule. Or possibly the type of encryption you have.
Your best option would be to turn off encryption and make it a open network. Temporarily of course. If that doesnt help, reset the time capsule network settings. I dont own one personally, so I dont know how to go about this step by step.
Something else you can try is download and install WiFi Checker from the app store. Make sure its not coming up as a hidden network

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I can see other networks when i'm out and about. My house in the middle of an acre and i can't get signals from neighbors at the moment :D

I don't have the SSID being broadcasted, i assumed that the Touch would be like the Mac's in the house and once you have entered the net info ONCE, it keeps it and uses it when it detects the net being present. I have proven that it is sorta doing that when i manage to get connected by just typing "SSID, WPA2, pw with a typo" and it still connects.

In fact i can take my computer to my Dad's house and it jumps on his wireless just fine. The Touch HAS jumped back on my net when i got in range of my house.

It's just not consistent in it's behavior (like managing to stay connected all night last night, but not 20 minutes this morning, with it in the same spot).

Now, if it's not supposed to be able to find a non-broadcasted net after you have told it about it, then please feel free to tell me that! LOL!!

I know that reconnecting to nets is a feature in 3.0 - i just assumed that was related to paid stuff and not your home network... maybe i should go read about that more. UGH. I'm so NOT trying to spend that $10 right now.

g2tegg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
I don't understand why your not broadcasting the SSID. By the sounds of it your somewhat in the country. Broadcast your SSID and secure the network. It's pretty simple solution for now. Or spend the 10 bucks. It's worth it IMO

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I don't understand why your not broadcasting the SSID. By the sounds of it your somewhat in the country. Broadcast your SSID and secure the network. It's pretty simple solution for now. Or spend the 10 bucks. It's worth it IMO

I have found a thread on Apple that shares the experience.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2019995&start=0&tstart=0

My reasons for not broadcasting go beyond my being on an acre (and no, i'm not in the country - my closest neighbor is 100 feet away), are are internal to my home. That is about all you will get me to say about it publicly at the moment. Broadcasting is not an option i'll entertain at this time.

This is a Bug in some units and network configurations. I have a couple of things i can try.

Curiously, it stays connected overnight - both plugged in and not - but the minute i move it from that spot in the room the issues start.

Anyway, since it's a bug i'll log a call in after i sort out the few things i'm curious about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.