PDA

View Full Version : GPS or Navigation App???

daytona
Aug 8, 2009, 09:54 PM
I have searched and read a few threads pertaining to GPS/Navigation apps. I see and read about on three. But they all seem to be originated in Europe....are there any US based App developers or software providers?

Jeremy1026
Aug 8, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have searched and read a few threads pertaining to GPS/Navigation apps. I see and read about on three. But they all seem to be originated in Europe....are there any US based App developers or software providers?

Any particular reason you won't use a European companies product? If it works well, does it matter where its made?

eawmp1
Aug 8, 2009, 10:00 PM
You've got to be kidding!!! Ever since Navigon release, there have been a few other apps released and MANY threads on the topic. Search again, my friend.

daytona
Aug 8, 2009, 10:08 PM
Any particular reason you won't use a European companies product? If it works well, does it matter where its made?

My thought is ...Euro based CO does not have the same grip on the US as they do Euro....
Other than that no particular reason.

eawmp1
Aug 8, 2009, 10:11 PM
Europeans make great cartographers!

Andrew Henry
Aug 9, 2009, 01:43 AM
Europeans make great cartographers!

I mean afterall they DID find and map America in the first place. :p

philgilder
Aug 9, 2009, 02:17 AM
TomTom is European
Navigon is European
Sygic is European
iGo is European

Anyway, the sat nav maker is not really that important in terms of maps etc, only the features they provide

Maps are mainly made by either TeleNav or NavTeq - TeleNav is European, NavTeq is American although both have international offices

avaloncourt
Aug 9, 2009, 10:02 AM
I mean afterall they DID find and map America in the first place. :p

Even though Columbus thought he discovered Asia. So, when you're heading for Los Angeles and you pull up in front of the Lincoln Memorial... you're there. ;)