PDA

View Full Version : I just got .Mac... what is up with iDisk?

reaper
Jun 19, 2004, 11:46 PM
So, maybe this is a common problem (I think I've seen a couple comments on here about it), but why is iDisk so slow!!! I mean, I click on a folder and it takes about 3 minutes for the folder to show up, during which time I can't use the Finder at all. I mean, for something that should be so easy to use and integrated with the system, it is a darn shame for this to happen.

Also, I have experimented with tuning on the local iDisk, but that doesn't seem to be much better either. Hopefully, I've just been trying to access things while Apple was doing work on their servers or something, but I was wondering what others thought about it.

- reaper

Duff-Man
Jun 19, 2004, 11:59 PM
Duff-Man says...I think the iDisk servers may be a bit flakey tonight (at least one of them anyway)...try it again tomorrow and see how it is....oh yeah!

NusuniAdmin
Jun 20, 2004, 12:04 AM
Duff-Man says...I think the iDisk servers may be a bit flakey tonight (at least one of them anyway)...try it again tomorrow and see how it is....oh yeah!

I just tried accessing mine as well. Forced me to relaunch finder which then slowed the whole farggin system. SO i restarted. I tried this twice.

reaper
Jun 20, 2004, 12:40 AM
Cool... well at least it's not just me. Thanks.

- reaper

MacDawg
Jun 20, 2004, 06:15 AM
Well, I can't connect this morning either... first time this has happened to me. It has been slow in the past, but now it won't connect at all. Frustrating.

Anybody know what is going on? :(

jsw
Jun 20, 2004, 07:01 AM
Sure looks like it's down. Sort of. I can fetch my usage when I go to System Preferences->.Mac->iDisk. Odd.

BTW, I highly recommend checking the "Create a local copy of your iDisk" option there. Also, I use the auto sync sub-option. That way, at least I can see what's there even when the iDisk itself is flaky. Not all that amazingly useful when iDisk is down, but I can still transfer files back and forth and they will be synchronized eventually. Undoubtedly, everyone who will see this post already knows that, but I thought I'd mention it on the odd chance that a toddler stumbles upon this URL while dropping toys on the keyboard, and the parents, sleep-deprived and new Panther owners, happen to see it.

jsw
Jun 20, 2004, 07:31 AM
It's still down - iDisk Utility (which lets you easily view the Public folders of iDisk users) had a "serious internal error" trying to get to my folder just now (8:31AM EST).

NusuniAdmin
Jun 20, 2004, 08:15 AM
lets all hope they're giving paiying member 200 megs base for the same price and trial members 50 megs :)

BTW: did any of you notice ITMS was down part of yesterday (is it still down?)

wrldwzrd89
Jun 20, 2004, 10:45 AM
So, maybe this is a common problem (I think I've seen a couple comments on here about it), but why is iDisk so slow!!! I mean, I click on a folder and it takes about 3 minutes for the folder to show up, during which time I can't use the Finder at all. I mean, for something that should be so easy to use and integrated with the system, it is a darn shame for this to happen.

Also, I have experimented with tuning on the local iDisk, but that doesn't seem to be much better either. Hopefully, I've just been trying to access things while Apple was doing work on their servers or something, but I was wondering what others thought about it.

- reaper
This might surprise you (it certainly surprised me) to find out that file transfers to/from your iDisk on Windows are FASTER than the same transfer on a Mac, even if the Windows machine is 5 times slower than the Mac (Windows: 333 MHz, Mac: 1.25 GHz). This bothers me, and I want Apple to get it fixed.

BornAgainMac
Jun 20, 2004, 05:37 PM
I bet Apple will get it faster later this year. Kinda of like when they fixed iSlowdoe to handle more photos without having to require a G5 with 8 GBs of memory. iPhoto works much faster and is usable on a G3 with thousands of photos.

jsw
Jun 20, 2004, 05:48 PM
Well, it's back up. I have no idea when it came back up, but it doesn't seem any different to me, nor have I seen any explanation as to what happened.

Guess it doesn't matter.

NusuniAdmin
Jun 20, 2004, 06:15 PM
WIndows faster i think not, I just transferred a 1 meg file to my .mac (its back up again YEAH!) and it went about 5 seconds faster than my moms 2.4 ghz x86. And my computer was a beige g3 500 mhz. So there ha :P

wrldwzrd89
Jun 20, 2004, 08:16 PM
WIndows faster i think not, I just transferred a 1 meg file to my .mac (its back up again YEAH!) and it went about 5 seconds faster than my moms 2.4 ghz x86. And my computer was a beige g3 500 mhz. So there ha :P
Hmm...that's interesting. I wonder if the network connection on the two machines is the reason for the difference? If that's the case, then that would explain why my experience said Windows was faster.

jsw
Jun 20, 2004, 08:48 PM
Hmm...that's interesting. I wonder if the network connection on the two machines is the reason for the difference? If that's the case, then that would explain why my experience said Windows was faster.

Also, iDisk is so flaky that it might just have been a matter of when you initiated the copies. Do you find consistent speed advantages?

reaper
Jun 20, 2004, 11:20 PM

Don't have any experience with windows uploads vs. mac uploads, but I just tried to upload some pics and it took FOREVER!!! I hope this is just a minor thing and not how it's always going to be or I am going to seriously regret the money shelled out for this one. :(

- reaper

wrldwzrd89
Jun 21, 2004, 05:00 AM
Also, iDisk is so flaky that it might just have been a matter of when you initiated the copies. Do you find consistent speed advantages?
I think I need to do some more testing before I come to a final conclusion. I have a Windows machine here at home that I can test with, but I'll have to wait until 4:30 PM Eastern Time to do it (I don't get home from work until around 4:10 PM - I work part-time).

Les Kern
Jun 21, 2004, 07:01 AM
You're not on a modem are you? Just asking! :)

reaper
Jun 21, 2004, 09:08 AM
You're not on a modem are you? Just asking! :)

Heh :) , nope. DSL, which I realize is slow uploading, but the thing that killed me was the "closing file" dialogs that just took soooooo long. Couldn't quite understand what that was all about.

- reaper

wrldwzrd89
Jun 21, 2004, 09:00 PM
Heh :) , nope. DSL, which I realize is slow uploading, but the thing that killed me was the "closing file" dialogs that just took soooooo long. Couldn't quite understand what that was all about.

- reaper
Even on my broadband connection, for anything 1 MB or larger, "closing the file" takes FOREVER. This needs to be fixed - Windows does not have this problem, as far as I know.