PDA

View Full Version : Nother, How Do I use my Mac at School

Koree
Jun 20, 2004, 01:12 AM
Hey,

My highschool has a wireless network. And i am getting a powerbook soon with Airport Extreme. And they have a little security thing with the proxies or something so computers that aren't owned by the school can't use the network. Its not really a mac issue but i was wondering if anyone new how to tap in. ;) Its not for evil purposes (i even have a teacher using a tibook doing it but he is allowed who sorta supports me in this.) So anyone know how i can get past the proxy stuff?

Thanks

redAPPLE
Jun 20, 2004, 01:46 AM
because no information was given, regarding the school's network infrastructure, i could only guess or give some points on what you might have to do to get network access.

first thing, you should know, if students or teachers are allowed to use the network with their private computers.

if the answer is "yes", then i guess you would have to register your computer with the system, so you will be allowed access. usually this will be done by informing the school/network administrator of your mac address. besides, if the school allows you to use private computers, there must be a help center or something, where you could get the necessary documentation, how to configure your mac.

if the answer is "no", then i would not really risk to use the network. you might get kicked out of school. and i do not think this little "covert operation" would justify it.

good luck.

JzzTrump22
Jun 20, 2004, 08:42 AM
You should be allowed reguardless what computer you use (private or public) to access the schools network. Your probably paying a good amount of money for school, the LEAST they could do is allow you to access the network with your own computer.

Horrortaxi
Jun 20, 2004, 10:27 AM
You should be allowed reguardless what computer you use (private or public) to access the schools network. Your probably paying a good amount of money for school, the LEAST they could do is allow you to access the network with your own computer.
Why? I pay taxes to the federal government so why can't I access their computers. Do you know what "private" means?

The school's network no doubt is much more than access to the internet. All of their information is probably there--grades, attendance, various records, payroll. You don't want just anybody accessing that.

Private means private. If they won't let you on, don't try to get on. It's not worth the trouble if you get caught.