Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmringuet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Hey guys

Long time lurker (well since I got my Touch) and first time poster, with a mission!
My graphic novel 'Stolen Suns' specially designed for the Iphone and Ipod Touch is on Itunes at last, and chapter 1 is free.
I'm a comic creator and I think the Iphone could be not only a new medium for comics but also a new format in itself. It allows to tell stories like it was not possible before, frames shots in something more like a 'movie' style, it could be a really big thing.
Now what I need to know is that if that format works or not, and that's why the graphic novel is free to have as many people as possible download it and read it, and give me some feedback.
If you are interested, even if you don't like comics or manga, just check it. Here is the link to iTunes: http://tinyurl.com/ks9egm
I promise there are no superheroes or the usual comic nonsense ;) It's a good solid story about a rock band with a hint of supernatural (vampires?).
Please also spread the word if you know people who could be interested in it.

Thanks!

35106582.jpg

16737855.jpg

33586742.jpg

88549571.jpg

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Wow, i really like your style. Some of the pages are amazing in particular i liked 4, 14, 23, 39 and 58. It works really well on the iTouch devices but I'm worried that it might get buried pretty fast by sheer amount of daily submissions to the app store. How many parts is the story going to be in and how much are you planning on selling them for?

Keep up the good work!

jmringuet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Hey Macjames!

First, thanks a lot! And I see what you mean with your favorite pages, I'm pretty happy with all those pages turned out - not all of them are good but I think here and there it works pretty well.
Right now the plan is to have the story ongoing, at least 6 chapters if everything goes well (but it could go for much longer). Each chapter (or episode) will be 99c, which the current price point for most iphone comics and I think something very affordable.
Not being buried, attracting attention are surely the main issue right now. Mostly I want to attract people who do not usually read comics (especially paper comic) because I think this story is for a wider audience, especially teenagers. Reaching out to that new audience is not easy, and help or advice would be appreciated.
I also want to emphasizes that this comic is completely created and owned by me so it lives or dies on the number of downloads and frankly I don't need a lot of downloads to make it worthwhile so I hope this is going to happen. I think sequential storytelling is perfect for the Iphone, it's visual, it's simple, it has an emotional impact, it can be read anywhere, anytime (a lot easier than a novel) and it looks striking on that beautiful little screen. Now what I need is support, people spreading the word. Word of mouth is the best thing!

Thanks!

Itunes link

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Hey Macjames!

First, thanks a lot! And I see what you mean with your favorite pages, I'm pretty happy with all those pages turned out - not all of them are good but I think here and there it works pretty well.
Right now the plan is to have the story ongoing, at least 6 chapters if everything goes well (but it could go for much longer). Each chapter (or episode) will be 99c, which the current price point for most iphone comics and I think something very affordable.
Not being buried, attracting attention are surely the main issue right now. Mostly I want to attract people who do not usually read comics (especially paper comic) because I think this story is for a wider audience, especially teenagers. Reaching out to that new audience is not easy, and help or advice would be appreciated.
I also want to emphasizes that this comic is completely created and owned by me so it lives or dies on the number of downloads and frankly I don't need a lot of downloads to make it worthwhile so I hope this is going to happen. I think sequential storytelling is perfect for the Iphone, it's visual, it's simple, it has an emotional impact, it can be read anywhere, anytime (a lot easier than a novel) and it looks striking on that beautiful little screen. Now what I need is support, people spreading the word. Word of mouth is the best thing!

Thanks!

Itunes link

I agree with you that the iPhone is great for sequential storytelling, its striking, your app looks good and the page transitions are superb rounding up to something that can be visually fantastic. Second its easy, iTunes provides a wide audience and easy payment/delivery system gives you access to a wider and different audience than paper based comics.

I'm a writer and maybe this is something i will look into at a future date but i hope all goes well for you and will keep my eye out for the future episodes.

jmringuet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
It's doing ok right now I think but I hope more people give it a chance, especially if they don't like comics. I made this graphic novel for people who don't like comics! And it's free! :)
Read it now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.