PDA

View Full Version : New MBP, CoconutBattery says 5 weeks old?

ki2594
Aug 9, 2009, 10:13 AM
So i got my new 13 inch MacBook pro yesterday, but when checking my battery status on coconutbattery, it states that my computers 5 weeks old? Has anyone else seen that?

I'm just curious as to why it says that?

http://twitpic.com/da49s

r.j.s
Aug 9, 2009, 10:14 AM
It says that because the computer was most likely made 5 weeks ago.

PoitNarf
Aug 9, 2009, 10:15 AM
You really don't expect them to build your Macbook the very second you order it, do you? Your Macbook was assembled 5 weeks ago, that's what that means.

Hellhammer
Aug 9, 2009, 10:15 AM
It's been sitting in warehouse for 5 weeks. Don't worry, yours is quite new. I've heard stories were it's over 6 months old

puma1552
Aug 9, 2009, 10:16 AM
Uhhh, because your computer was built five weeks ago?

You are aware obects such as cars and computers and other various things don't all follow the law of fast food in that they are made when you go to buy them, right?

You do realize before you walked into the Apple store to buy it that the computer had to be ordered (by the store), built (in shanghai), shipped to your country (via a shipping service), delivered to the store you bought it from (via a shipping service), stocked (via an employee), and it had to then wait for a customer to actually BUY it (you)...

ki2594
Aug 9, 2009, 10:17 AM
Relax folks. The only reason i was curious was because when i bought my old macbook, it never said that. The day i got it it said 1 day old. So i was just curious. thanks anyways..

puma1552
Aug 9, 2009, 10:19 AM
Well, this is a different computer.

Really man come on, common sense dude.

ki2594
Aug 9, 2009, 11:21 AM
Well, this is a different computer.

Really man come on, common sense dude.

yeah but its the same company, so i would think it'd say the same thing. Thanks for letting me know then. These forums have lost all respect for people. It was a simple question, answer and move on or don't answer if you don't know.

iLog.Genius
Aug 9, 2009, 01:21 PM
Developer said it was a bug. Mine was thousands of months old when I got mine.

Eidorian
Aug 9, 2009, 02:42 PM
Your serial number is going to have the true build date even if there's a bug in Coconut Battery.

vm7118
Aug 9, 2009, 11:53 PM
unless you live in china, there's only a very small chance your previous notebook was "1 day" old.

get your serial number and look it up on this site:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

that will tell you exactly when your machine was manufactured. put it in for your old MB too if you still have it lying around. i would definitely trust this over coconut battery.

mikes70mustang
Aug 10, 2009, 12:04 AM
i wish people would realize that these things are not always 100% accurate.

Bill Gates
Aug 10, 2009, 12:50 AM
Developer said it was a bug. Mine was thousands of months old when I got mine.
Are you sure it was a bug? Perhaps Apple holds the patent on time travel. :apple:

zombieflanders
Aug 10, 2009, 11:00 AM
Are you sure it was a bug? Perhaps Apple holds the patent on time travel. :apple:"Perhaps"? It comes free with every new Mac (http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/time-machine.html)!

;)

malnar
Aug 10, 2009, 01:44 PM
unless you live in china, there's only a very small chance your previous notebook was "1 day" old.

get your serial number and look it up on this site:

that will tell you exactly when your machine was manufactured. put it in for your old MB too if you still have it lying around. i would definitely trust this over coconut battery.
I will have to check this out when I get home. I just got my MBP Friday (shipped direct from China) and Coconut Battery reports that mine is "1 week old" with 3 cycles on it. One week old? Is it really possible that mine was literally built and then shipped off to me a few days later?

geoffreak
Aug 10, 2009, 01:48 PM
Coconut battery uses the serial number to figure out when your Mac was made, not a timer. Due to this, the calculation isn't entirely accurate.

My last Mac Mini actually was a month from being made when I first got it according to the serial number. I actually got 13 months of free AppleCare because of this ;)

malnar
Aug 10, 2009, 09:58 PM
Coconut battery uses the serial number to figure out when your Mac was made, not a timer. Due to this, the calculation isn't entirely accurate.

My last Mac Mini actually was a month from being made when I first got it according to the serial number. I actually got 13 months of free AppleCare because of this ;)
According to the site vm7118 linked to, I have a Macbook from the future too:

Factory: W8 (Shanghai China)
Production year: 2009
Production week: 32 (August)
Production number: 25 (within this week)
So mine really was built in the last week. Pretty cool. I feel very special now. My very first Mac was built and sent right to me, no sitting around. :D

toxictrix
Aug 10, 2009, 10:04 PM
Mine read 2 months old when I first got it...

celticpride678
Aug 10, 2009, 10:08 PM
My Mac read 8 months when I first got it. It is nothing to worry about. It is when the battery was created and that is where cocoanutbattery gets its information. As a few other posters have said, it could also be an issue in the application itself. Don't worry about and enjoy your Mac.

meringues
Aug 11, 2009, 03:14 PM
On a somewhat related note... I just got my refurb MBP (the model with the ExpressCard slot) and Coconut Battery says it also is only five weeks old... I'm guessing Apple gives refurbs new serial numbers?

Any way to know how old its components originally are?

DewGuy1999
Aug 21, 2009, 08:57 AM
On a somewhat related note... I just got my refurb MBP (the model with the ExpressCard slot) and Coconut Battery says it also is only five weeks old... I'm guessing Apple gives refurbs new serial numbers?

Any way to know how old its components originally are?

You can check when it was built by entering the serial number here:

I've been considering one of the 2.4GHz 15" MacBook Pro's with the express card slot, but I'm a bit leery of the fact that it might be as much as 10-months old. If you check your serial number could you post back to this thread with how old it is? Thanks.

windowsblowsass
Aug 21, 2009, 12:25 PM
My new refurb MBP says 123months old. considering this model wasn't released until june of this year it seems somewhat inaccurate

DewGuy1999
Aug 21, 2009, 12:46 PM
My new refurb MBP says 123months old. considering this model wasn't released until june of this year it seems somewhat inaccurate

Coconut Battery or the link I gave above says that it's 123-months old? Heck that's over ten years!