Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've had the blue iFrogz Luxe case for a little over a month now. It's my primary iPhone case, and I keep it on my iPhone at all times.

Unfortunately, the blue finish of the case does not last long. There is some peeling and cracking and slight fading (see photos). Plus, some of the blue finish has been rubbing off onto the inside of my Marware belt clip case (see photos). It is a tight fit into the belt clip, but I still didn't expect the finish to rub off. On my 1st gen iPhone, I had a similar case (it was a clip-on backing, but had the same blue finish texture), and the finish did not come off onto the Marware case.

In terms of protection, this case is still amazing. Overall, it still looks really good. But once you look closely, you can really see the cracking. IMO, the felt strip on the inside of the case is integral for protecting the back of the iPhone. There is not a single scratch anywhere on my iPhone. To me, that's most important, but I think that the appearance of the case should last longer.

I think my next case will be the Seidio Innocase II Surface. That case looks nice, and has the felt on the inside.

Here are the photos. The first two show the cracking (of the finish, not the plastic) and peeling of the blue finish. The third one shows some of the fading. It is difficult to see in the photo, but it is on the top edge of the case near the headphone jack. The fourth and fifth photos show the inside of my Marware case.

Attachments

• IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    778.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    751.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    753.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    729.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    710.7 KB · Views: 109

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I have the exact same case as yours, but no indication of cracks or fading (so far). Hopefully mine doesn't do that, else I'd have to look for another case again :(

Reclaim3r

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
PA
I have the orange iFrogz Luxe and I'm noticing some paint chipping away as well. Also, the little pieces that connect the bottom part to the top and flimsy and bend way too easily... Because of these problems, I've decided to switch to a Speck Candyshell.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
wow! that's pretty bad.... i have the pretty pink version and i only have one chip/spot on the back....

you're post made me carefully and closely inspect my case!

maybe you got a defective one?

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^^^ Maybe.

I'm going to contact Amazon to see if I can return it, and if not, then I'll contact iFrogz to see if I can get it replaced.

I don't think that qualifies as normal wear and tear from ~1 month's use.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Try Contacting Ifrogz as well

I bought from a seller on Ebay I got vg customer service and response from Ifrogz even though I didn't buy from them directly.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
A quick update:

I contacted iFrogz directly, told them about my defective case, and they sent me a brand new Luxe case. All I had to do was email them a photo of the cracking.

It took a while from my initial contact until I received the replacement, but at least they replaced it.

Hopefully this new case will last longer than my first one!

As you can see, the cracking/peeling got much worse in the past 11 days.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 106

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Funny I was just going to post something about this. Mine is 2 months later. I put my phone in my pockets daily. I also remove it every few days to clean whatever dust may have gotten in the case. The right side (facing phone) is cracked. I am not having similar color cracking as you. I was going to contact the company as well.

I am showing your wear spots to show you a contrast and my crack. (PS the colors are so far off from the original colors of my photos! I never noticed how badly they're displayed here).
IMG_1986.jpg IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg IMG_1984.jpg

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^^^ Yeah, photos definitely don't do the colors justice. The blue is so much deeper and darker than what showed up in my photos.

Hmm, some of your marks look like normal wear and tear, but I wouldn't call that crack normal wear and tear. I don't think that the case should last forever, but it should last longer than 2 months without a crack like that.

It couldn't hurt to give them a call to see if they'd replace it.

curly14

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I have the blue case also, so far so good no problems or fading with mine although the clip in the back does not seem to lock in as good as the first time on.I removed the case to clean the phone. All in all good case:)

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
had blue...

didn't make it a month and then sent it back but no replacement instead a refund from the vendor.

So I've gotten iribbits from ebay. 3 of them in fact direct from China for less than one ifrogz.

The case is a little harder so the front has a bit stronger protection.

I have blue, red and orange. Don't see any green ones around now but that's okay.

Happy with the iRibbits. If you are patient you get them for under $3 and wait a bit for the air mail from Asia.

Just got the blue and it's a very nice color.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've contacted them and I'm waiting on their verdict from my photos. My crack isn't wear and tear, the chips are. Still happier with the Capsule Rebel.

jacobgaul

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
this thing has to rank in the top10 ugliest looking cases.. right up their with otterbox lol.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Photos don't do it justice.

It looks great in person.

It really does look awesome in person; the colors are so much deeper and more luminous (for lack of a better word) than they ever appear in photos. I got the pink one on launch day and noticed significant color fading within about 10 days and moderate use (I used it every day, but I wasn't sliding it into and out of pockets or holding it with sweaty hands or whatever else is supposed to cause fading). I took mine back to the AT&T store and ended up exchanging it for the green case; they asked absolutely no questions and were very cool about exchanging. So far, no color fade, cracking, or otherwise unpleasant occurrences with this one. :)

Of course, I'm kind of a case whore, so I vary up which ones I'm using on a near-daily basis. Lately I've been going back and forth between the green Luxe, a copper/bronze Incase Slider, and a red Solo FX. I think the FX may be my favorite for everyday use.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Surely, were you asked to send yours back to iFrogz? They're making me send it back to them and they'll ship me another.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hrm they're giving me crap for it, I am unsure why.

This is what they said:
Jessica,
If you can send it to the address below with your shipping address we can replace it for you.
ifrogz
953 W 700 N
Suite 107
Logan, UT 84321
Thanks,
Michael
ifrogz.com Customer Service 116

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That's weird. Maybe they want to inspect your case to determine why it cracked so badly? Maybe to help them with future designs?

It doesn't seem like they won't replace it though- it says "so we can replace it", not "so we can determine if we will replace it".

You'll be case-less for a week or so, but at least you'll get a new one.

Try asking if they wouldn't mind shipping you the replacement first, and then you would ship the damaged case to them- tell them you don't want to go case-less and risk scratching your iPhone.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
These are not my favorite cases. I don't know what it is, but I just don't feel they're worth as much as they cost (at retail). Maybe it's the black slider part that doesn't do it for me.

They're OK for the eBay price of $15 or so, though.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
You can get the iFrogz on ebay for like $12-$13 shipped now .... thats a great deal especially considering they are $29.99 at the AT&T store... plus tax.

I live mine and have found that I dont have a mark on it yet after 2 months.

Surely

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The replacement case that iFrogz sent me is still in perfect condition after 2 weeks of use. It looks like the original case that I purchased was defective. There is no sign of any finish cracking on this case, and I'm using it in exactly the same way.

All in all, a great case.

@jessica.: did iFrogz send you a replacement yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.