Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
(Starting a new thread from a conversation that started in the New Displays discussion)

Nick dePlume said:
Dave,

Thanks for the comment, but I wanted to correct a few inaccuracies in your statement.

The weekend prior to Apple's announcement, Think Secret incorrectly reported that the new towers would top out at 2.6GHz; no information about other model speeds was reported. We later updated the story with new information -- that Apple's line-up would top out at a Dual 2.5GHz --and included specific information on hard drive sizes and graphics cards for each model. We're committed to providing the most detailed, reliable information as it becomes available to us, but the updated story still made reference our initial, erroneous assertions, so nothing was "removed from the site."
Thanks for your response, Nick. Reflecting, I'm probably wrong on the non-top-end model speeds; now that I think of it, it was probably other commenters that stated the 2.0/2.2 low end speeds. However, it's impossible for one to check, because the original story was indeed removed from the site. (The URL for the original story seems to have been replaced with the URL for the new story.)

I applaud Think Secret for coming pretty close with the most recent rumor on the new Powermacs. However, I do take issue with rumor sites changing or removing stories. It helps one decide what credence to give a new story, when you can look at the old stories. Take MacRumors, for instance. All the rumors, true and not true, are accessible in the order they were published. While changing a story may be done with the intention of "updating", it has the effect of making one seem like the soothsayers who make lots of predictions but only reference the ones that came true.

One thing I find particularly interesting is how Apple's business model fosters the rumors trade. Rather than allow prices to fall as a particular release becomes cheaper to make, they favor stable prices (and subsequently, rising margins one would assume) followed by large price drops and/or new models. Subsequently, your best value is achieved right after a new release (and worst value right before.) This naturally encourages intense speculation on when new models will be released, and intense secrecy from Apple as to the same. That's why you don't see this kind of speculation about Windows machines; the age of the model/specs is already factored into the price.

--D

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Dave00 said:
(Starting a new thread from a conversation that started in the New Displays discussion)

Thanks for your response, Nick. Reflecting, I'm probably wrong on the non-top-end model speeds; now that I think of it, it was probably other commenters that stated the 2.0/2.2 low end speeds. However, it's impossible for one to check, because the original story was indeed removed from the site. (The URL for the original story seems to have been replaced with the URL for the new story.)

I applaud Think Secret for coming pretty close with the most recent rumor on the new Powermacs. However, I do take issue with rumor sites changing or removing stories. It helps one decide what credence to give a new story, when you can look at the old stories. Take MacRumors, for instance. All the rumors, true and not true, are accessible in the order they were published. While changing a story may be done with the intention of "updating", it has the effect of making one seem like the soothsayers who make lots of predictions but only reference the ones that came true.

One thing I find particularly interesting is how Apple's business model fosters the rumors trade. Rather than allow prices to fall as a particular release becomes cheaper to make, they favor stable prices (and subsequently, rising margins one would assume) followed by large price drops and/or new models. Subsequently, your best value is achieved right after a new release (and worst value right before.) This naturally encourages intense speculation on when new models will be released, and intense secrecy from Apple as to the same. That's why you don't see this kind of speculation about Windows machines; the age of the model/specs is already factored into the price.

--D
I do find your comments about rumor sites to be quite true - that is why I joined MacRumors! I read ThinkSecret and AppleInsider (and read MacOSRumors when it was up), and I find the information there interesting. Apple does seem to be promoting the rumor sites by using the business model that they do - which is good for the rumor sites, but not so good for the customers that hate not knowing when Apple's going to release an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.