PDA

View Full Version : Is blocking ads slowing me down?

macrem
Aug 9, 2009, 02:06 PM
I block many ad servers from my router. It seems some sites/browsers hold back content while trying to load ads from blocked ad servers. Has anyone else experienced this? I am getting exceptionally long delays while "waiting for..." some ad server. Opera seems to do a better job of loading content even though it cannot load content from a blocked ad server.

angelwatt
Aug 9, 2009, 02:52 PM
Blocking doesn't slow things, it speeds them up. When it's blocked, it won't try to get content from those servers. I block them from my browser though using the AdBlock addon for Firefox as well as NoScript. I always notice sites load slower when I'm not blocking ads.

NathanCH
Aug 9, 2009, 06:24 PM
Blocking ads is a dick thing to do, especially for sites you like. Blocking ads kills good content.

Dagless
Aug 9, 2009, 06:50 PM
Blocking ads is a dick thing to do, especially for sites you like. Blocking ads kills good content.

Lol what. I've never seen or bought from advert, if anything if I see too much of an advert I'll likely not buy their products. Sky HD being one of them.
But it's not so much a problem since I block adverts now. I just find it hard reading when theres a flashing thing the side of what you're trying to read, and of course adverts with sounds = NO.

dmmcintyre3
Aug 9, 2009, 06:54 PM

Ok get an old G3 and try some website with 5 flash ads at once. If that is not slow enough open 10 more windows with that.:D

It's not the ads themselves I hate. It's the method. Like those ads that you put the mouse on top of and a flash ad comes up inside it. Just makes the internet unusable. And to those that say don't put the mouse on top of it the mouse just happens to land on top of it when scrolling.

Decrepit
Aug 9, 2009, 06:55 PM
Lol what. I've never seen or bought from advert, if anything if I see too much of an advert I'll likely not buy their products. Sky HD being one of them.
But it's not so much a problem since I block adverts now. I just find it hard reading when theres a flashing thing the side of what you're trying to read, and of course adverts with sounds = NO.

The point he was making is that the site you're reading has ads so they can stay in business, regardless if you buy from them.

If the ads don't load, the site doesn't get paid. If the site doesn't get paid, it's hard to keep the servers running and hosting the site (electricity, bandwidth, maintenance, etc)

That said, if the advertisers would knock off the rollover/audible/flashing crap, they might not get blocked in the first place.

dmmcintyre3
Aug 9, 2009, 07:00 PM
That said, if the advertisers would knock off the rollover/audible/flashing crap, they might not get blocked in the first place.

+1

One site I visit i cannot stand to go there without an ad blocker. Can they make their "Low End Mac" website not require a 8 core nelaham Mac Pro to go to?