Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roflcopterrr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
I've had my iPhone for about 2 weeks now and an Incase Slider for about a week, and I've read that the slider can scratch the phone if you don't clean the insides often. I opened the phone and cleaned it 1-2 times daily of any dust, and I just looked at my phone's back in bright light - 9 deep scratches on the back of my 3GS!! I might take the phone back and lie about something overheating or something since the bevel isn't even, and I think a Phone that I paid $430 for should be PERFECT. I'll get a refund for the case too - what other case should I buy? I've been looking at the iSkin solo.

Any suggestions?

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
you're gonna return the phone just because of a few scratches on the back? should have just thrown a BSE on it then?

toxictrix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Texas
I love the Incipio Feather if you don't mind a case that doesn't provide too much drop protection. Other than that, the Speck Candyshell is an awesome case as well.

astudentis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
For that exact reason, I have resorted to going with the following three cases:
iSkin SOLO, Switcheasy Rebel, and the Speck CandyShell... personally I find these to be the best cases for everyday use

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Check out the Speck CandyShell. No way that case can scratch your phone. One thing though. I'm having some trouble imagining how the incase slider scratched the BACK of your phone like that. Could you post some pics? I've heard that some defective iPhones have these spontaneous heat related damage that you seem to be describing.

I can't see the case scratching the back of the phone, especially with the rails there...

Alexwithad

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
USA
Another for the incipio feather. I dropped it from standing height and it held up just minor scratch on the case...the phone is fine still. It's a beautifully crafted case to line up perfectly with the phone and add basically no bulk.

discoburg

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
1st case used was the incipio feather. Very nice and thin case but offers no protection at all. Next i bought the switcheasy black case and it fits nicely and the red button looks sweet but did not like the feel of it. Next case will be the incase slider black, very good protection and very simple matt black look. Too bulky. Currently i am using the red iSkin Solo.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Love the Incipio feather. I have a couple of those.

For a bit more protection though, I use my iSkin Solo. Not bulky. Very good protection. Fully covers the bezel.

I have gotten a few small scratches on the bottom of my bezel where the Feather does not cover at all. No big deal, but it will happen. :cool:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
The Incase slider did the same thing to my 3G when I had it on the phone. Now I don't even use a case. There is NOT a single case that will not scratch the iPhone in some way.

lavinci

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
Agent 18 EcoShield Slider. Take a look at the review on this part of the forums.

Or Power support air jacket.

i3igsmooth5769

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Speck Candy Shell:hard case so it can be difficult to get in and out...the rubber pieces on the edge are flexible but eventually they begin to wear out and even tear because u have to use a good amount of force to take the phone out of the case. Not to mention that it doesnt cover the chrome bevel completely...so u are taking a risk with this case
Switcheasy rebel capsule:alot of people rave about this case...but with the saggy bottom, it allows dirt and lint to get it in and possibly scratch the phone.
Incase Slider:I suspect this case is so popular because its available in the apple store and has a good assortment of colors.not to mention it looks pretty cool on the phone, but thats where the advantages end with this case...its a tight fitting case, so the constant removing and inserting of the phone can cause scratches. Im sure there are exceptions and maybe those people that say they dont have scratches from the incase just arent as anal as other people and arent looking close enough for scratches.

Finding a good case that will offer overall protection and looks is difficult. i know many people dont like silicone cases, but ive used many cases and so far the Switcheasy colors is great. Sure it collects some lint and dust but due to the type of silicone, its easy to wipe off. it doesnt collect as much dust as the iskin revo 2, so thats also a plus...and it also comes with port covers. Youre going to have to decide what to sacrifice, looks or protection? or perhaps somewhere in between, start looking at youtube videos of cases that catch your eye.

astudentis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
considering all factors:
iSkin Solo (simplicity, thickness, protection) > Speck Candy Shell (design, looks nice) > Switch easy Rebel (quite the bargain for what they give you... i really like the dock port cover, and the adapter they give for universal dock, and the two screen shields (usually they cost 20$ on their own))

Roflcopterrr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
dbsa40.jpg

My 3GS after a week with the incase slider.

MOSTLY

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
More-thing HEX

This case rocks!

Made of Hydro-carbon Polymer..so it protects and does not scratch your phone.

Looks rad too!

Plus its cheap (check ebay for deals)

If you want maximum protection then buy an Otterbox Defender....this case is quite bulky though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.