Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Rogers Wireless web page appears to confirm last week's alleged screenshots of the company's internal retail software revealing a forthcoming 8 GB iPhone 3GS model. The "iPhone Comparison" tab on Rogers' iPhone 3GS page contains a chart listing the features of the iPhone 3G and 3GS, noting near the bottom that the 3GS is available in 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB capacities.

235220-rogers_iphone_comparison_500.png

Portion of "iPhone Comparison" chart from Rogers Wireless
(iPhone 3GS on left, iPhone 3G on right)

The comparison chart currently appears to be the only portion of Rogers' public site reflecting the existence of an 8 GB iPhone 3GS model, as other description pages and the site's ordering system list only the 16 GB and 32 GB models.

The screenshots that surfaced last week appear to reveal that Rogers is working to sell through its existing stock of the 8 GB iPhone 3G before transitioning to the new iPhone 3GS at the same capacity. Pricing for the new model remains unknown, and it is unclear whether the new 8 GB iPhone 3GS will be available in all markets.

Article Link: Rogers Wireless Web Page Appears to Confirm 8 GB iPhone 3GS

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I guess it makes sense to retire the 3G and introduce a 'value priced' 3GS. Not everyone needs a ton of memory.

My 16GB 3G has 12GB of free space.

iphoneblack

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
blah they should have made it earlier.
I could have avoid paying the extra $200 upgrade price from my 8gb 3g to 16gb 3gs..

Just-A-Nooby

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
South Carolina
i guess this is ok, who wouldn't like to have a lower priced option..... but i think i still wouldn't go with an 8 gb i want space on my iphone for apps, music, and now (hopefully) BLUE-RAY!!!! i need space and i want everything on 1 device.... but thats just me....

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
i guess this is ok, who wouldn't like to have a lower priced option..... but i think i still wouldn't go with an 8 gb i want space on my iphone for apps, music, and now (hopefully) BLUE-RAY!!!! i need space and i want everything on 1 device.... but thats just me....

Given the screen resolution, I'm absolutely sure you would not need 1080p content on your iphone ;]

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008

It's Blu-ray.

Target362

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, only one problem, where is the space for the blu-ray disc?

Agreed. Why would you even want to put 720p content on your phone, much less 1080p???

Don

Why not? Zune HD can handle HD content.

I voted negative

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I guess it makes sense to retire the 3G and introduce a 'value priced' 3GS. Not everyone needs a ton of memory.

My 16GB 3G has 12GB of free space.

Knowing Apple, they'll probably release the 8GB 3GS with artificial software limits like no voice control, autofocus, and shake to shuffle.

Seriously though, from a business perspective, a 8GB 3GS is going to be great. From a consumer who just bought a $99 3G or a 3GS with 16GB when they only needed 8GB, not so good. Of course, the negative feelings will only be felt for a short while (remember when Apple dropped the original iPhone's price by $200?).

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I'm surprised this didn't happen from the get go (too many iPhone 3G inventory?). Apple always like a clean line up, and having just one iPhone model makes sense.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I think the 8gb 3GS will be 99 dollars on a 3 year term.
On the rogers 'library' (knowledge base where all rogers related info is stored) there is a product number for an 8gb 3gs for 99 dollars.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
This is great. Some people don't really need all that memory (like myself) and can save money by having the newest hardware with an adequate price.

However, I could really careless if I'm spending $99 or $200 on the iPhone - my only problem is the monthly data fee on AT&T.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Knowing Apple, they'll probably release the 8GB 3GS with artificial software limits like no voice control, autofocus, and shake to shuffle.

Seriously though, from a business perspective, a 8GB 3GS is going to be great. From a consumer who just bought a $99 3G or a 3GS with 16GB when they only needed 8GB, not so good. Of course, the negative feelings will only be felt for a short while (remember when Apple dropped the original iPhone's price by $200?).
This would be the opposite situation though, since those who purchased a 16GB iPhone 3G for $99 received a better value in terms of storage space than those who would be purchasing an 8 GB iPhone for the same price - no negative feelings from this perspective.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
I know this is par for the course for Apple, but I'd be pissed if I just bought the $99 3G if they're selling the 3GS for the same price less then two months later.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
This is a terribly designed comparison chart: either the GB capacaties or the colors should be the column headings and the other attribute should be the rows. That would make it easier and clearer to read.

Or, as someone else suggested, perhaps there are (implicit?) colum headings, namely, "3GS" and "3G" (right and left, respectively). This actually makes sense given that the checkmarks in the columns fit these descriptions--and it makes the chart's organization actually somewhat logical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.