Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Looks very sophisticated.

However, what's really the big deal? I find it hard to see how they could fit that kind of system into a PowerBook which is the only exciting conclusion one can draw from this system.

klaus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
Belgium
Macrumors said:
The 2.5GHz (Liquid Cooled) PowerMac G5 is not due for shipping until late July.

According to some resellers in my region (belgium) they expect them end june, some say end of july, and some just leave it to "somewhere in july"

hope they ship soon, that I can admire that liquid cooled beauty on my desk ;)

punkmac

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
cooling system

Macrumors said:
Techseekers.net posted a few photos from the recently released PowerMac G5 with Liquid Cooling.

Various liquid cooling diagrams/product shots have been circulating, but these new photos appear to be taken of an actual production PowerMac G5.

The 2.5GHz (Liquid Cooled) PowerMac G5 is not due for shipping until late July.

I've seen this weekend in a BEST BUY ad SONY has already jumped on the liquid cooling system bandwagon.

Another Apple innovation? Stock LCS.

I.

ColdZero

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2002
Or they're the first computer company where air cooling was not technically/economically feasible for their processors.

WorldMage

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2003
Pressure Release Valve?

If you look at the third picture in the set (the first one showing the
pipes going to/from one of the CPU's). In the foreground there appears
to be a pressure release valve (it comes right out of the radiator
and has a black cap).

Let's hope you get some warning before the coolant start's spewing out
of that. To be fair it looks like it is as far away from the logic board as
possible (not sure what is above it). I'm also sure that under any kind
of normal operation it won't come close to needing it. Also I'm sure the
environment that a computer lives in is _much_ softer than your average
car.

The only thing I can think of that would cause problems is 'dust collection'
I could see the radiator collecting a 1/4 inch of dust - which for what
ever reason never really seems to happen to car radiators (perhaps it's
that 60mph wind).

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
ainiw said:
Starts looking like the cooling system of a car. iPod in a car and now car-like system in a computer? :)

I agree! That's the first thing I thought of when I saw that close-up of the connections. And, I owned a FORD once, so I don't want to be Fixing-Or-Repairing-Daily (or insert your own car joke) my G5 :).

Seriously, I guess this isn't to worrisome, it's being done elsewhere too ?? but I'm not sure if I want to buy now, or wait on you guys! :p

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
cars cars cars blah blah blah

ainiw said:
Starts looking like the cooling system of a car. iPod in a car and now car-like system in a computer? :)

why are cars always brought up when there's talk about computers?! i'm getting sick of it! it's not like i have anything against cars, but computers and cars aren't the same thing.

also, i'm not referring only to your post, but all the post on the net..

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
what is the thermal capacity?

ColdZero said:
Or they're the first computer company where air cooling was not technically/economically feasible for their processors.

My guess is that this system has a lot of capability to scale to a much higher thermal load if required, say, for a 3+ Ghz in the future. Apple saw the writing on the wall, and decided to get this figured out before it becomes a major hurdle. Fans would have worked, but, this water cooled system is probably much quieter.

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Who Cares?

So how many stories are we going to see on MacRumors about pictures / diagrams / hieroglyphs of the G5's liquid cooling?

Big deal.

I guess news is slow leading up to WWDC.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
adamcoop said:
So how many stories are we going to see on MacRumors about pictures / diagrams / hieroglyphs of the G5's liquid cooling?

Big deal.

Ya, I agree here. I am getting really tiered if Liquid cooling news....

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
klaus said:
According to some resellers in my region (belgium) they expect them end june, some say end of july, and some just leave it to "somewhere in july"

hope they ship soon, that I can admire that liquid cooled beauty on my desk ;)
I'm in the UK - I ordered a dual 2.5 about an hour after they were announced. My ship date is "On or before 2/8/2004".

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Any one noticed

That it seems to be on the old motherboard. I thought the new one was going to be shorter, and not really stick out on the left side. So this looks like a present day G5 with the prototype cooling system. I think it might be a little different than this when we get the actually product.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Liquid cooling is nothing new..

punkmac said:
I've seen this weekend in a BEST BUY ad SONY has already jumped on the liquid cooling system bandwagon.

I.

Liquid cooling has been around for a number of years. It is hardly an "Apple Innovation"

amols

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
Looking at the pictures, it feels like if I touch it, my hands will get dirty with grease and oil :)

uzombie

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2004
Doubtful

WorldMage said:
and has a black cap).

possible (not sure what is above it). ...

I doubt its a PRV. More like the coolant pressurize connection (where they charge the system, much like an auto's refrigerant). There is no need to have a pressure relief system on this unit. If so, we'd have to require some exhaust vent. Is it me or is this getting way outta hand?

Is this REALLY the actual production cooler? I have to admit, those crimp-clamps do not reassure me of a "reliable" system.

If this is needed to a dual 2.5ghz system, will we get a "dorm-fridge" if Apple makes a Quad +3.0ghz system?

uzombie

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2004
get used to it

Windowlicker said:
why are cars always brought up when there's talk about computers?! i'm getting sick of it! it's not like i have anything against cars, but computers and cars aren't the same thing.

also, i'm not referring only to your post, but all the post on the net..

True. You HAVE to have a license to operate a car. (I really wish you had to have a license to use a computer!).

But why complain? Where else do you see a cooling system like this (in other than a refridgerator, Air Conditioner, or automobile)?

And since a loaded G5 Dual 2.5ghz is priced with a used car, its only logical to compare Apples to Autos.

/would you like some cheese with that whine?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
So, where are those rumors for WWDC '04? Enough of the liquid cooling pics. Give me some rumors that I can care about.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Apple innovation - not! Sony was first.

punkmac said:

I.

I think you mean that Apple is jumping on the bandwagon - the Sony RA710G/RA810G was announced about a month before the G5 upgrade.

Sony is shipping now (some online stores say "in stock"...), the new G5 has yet to ship.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/4767

SONY DESKTOP PC SPORTS NEW DESIGN FOR CUTTING EDGE PERFORMANCE

SAN DIEGO, May 11, 2004 - What stands out about Sony's new desktop computer is what's not there. The hole in the side of the VAIO R series desktop represents a generational leap in cooling and acoustic technology, while leaving room for top-level performance.

The sophisticated black tower not only looks cool but acts cool. The dynamic airflow design, liquid cooled heat exchanger and efficient fans allow the unit to take on high-intensity processing without breaking a sweat. Also with air intake in the middle of the PC instead of the front, the noise level is drastically reduced, allowing for AV enjoyment without the interference of internal noise.

Soire

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
Does Apple give priority to American customers over foreign?

I ordered my 2.5 three days after the release, and I also have yet to see the order go to 2-day shipping. It's still listed as ground shipping. :(

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
adamcoop said:

Big deal.

I second, third, or fourth that......depending on how many get in before me. I keep coming back to macrumors.com and thinking that there are no new stories for the day, but find that it's actually a NEW G5 cooling article I'm looking at. man these are Page 2, or macbytes articles AT BEST. seriously not macrumors worthy.

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
I must confess to feeling a little apprehensive towards this liquid cooling system. I mean - overclockers are born tinkerers - they are used to (and in fact in most cases probably enjoy) having a system under constant maintenance.

I on the other hand, cannot be bothered these days with tinkering and would much rather get on with some work. I'm buying the DP2.5 purely for audio work and don't want to have to get it serviced periodically or risk it springing a leak or worry that it might be about to explode at any second.

I'm wondering should I have just bought a dual 2Ghz at the new price. :confused:

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
WorldMage said:
and has a black cap).

possible (not sure what is above it). I'm also sure that under any kind
of normal operation it won't come close to needing it. Also I'm sure the
environment that a computer lives in is _much_ softer than your average
car.

Well, it's hard to imagine the water/glycol in that system getting anywhere close to boiling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.