Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ag55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Just upgraded the mini to 4gb ram and a 30gb ocz ssd.

the mini is super quiet, i cannot hear anything and its literally a few inches away -- such a cool and quiet pc.

with the ssd boot time is less than 20 seconds, applications launch like they are on fire -- installing an ssd is the single biggest performance boost i have ever had from one component - forget ram.

describe your setup/mac

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Glad you like it. I don't have money to spend on a SSD, but this 4GB RAM & 320HD is more than enough performance boost for what I'll be doing in college. Can finally run whatever I want without the beach ball of death.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Werent you having problems with that mini when you did the surgery? Did you get it resolved?

I sure wouldn't mind dropping an Intel 80GB SSD on my mini.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I have a Late 2006 model of Mac mini, I plan on either getting a 80GB SSD or a 500GB HD for this mini in the near future.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I'm waiting. Three issues for me. First, it's still not clear how these drives perform long-term. There's been some concern. I'll wait until there's reliability data for a few years. It's still early days. I'll give it another 2 years before even bothering. Second, capacity. Really, 512GB these days is kind of a minimum - and there are not many choices at such capacities. Third, price. Once the 512GB get down to about $200 or so, it'll get interesting.

All in all, I don't think they're ready for prime time, and won't be until at least early 2012, IMHO.

ag55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Werent you having problems with that mini when you did the surgery? Did you get it resolved?

Yeah hi, that was a different mini technically :) but i had a new one come in and i did the surgery on that - all went well.

I'm wondering which model did you get and how muh are they, since there's so many models on there.

The SSD i chose cost £102 inc p+p, its 30GB which is more than enough for just booting from, downloading stuff to and storing frequent documents. Its the OCZ 'Vertex' series of drives, they were given great reviews from laptopmag and ended up the best performing drive for your money.

There is also a mac edition available but it costs more for no reason than its preformatted for you. I got the regular one, saved some money. Formatting was easy, boot from os x dvd, disk utility then format the drive.

Overall its been awesome, super fast and quiet and really changes a system. I named it 'Macintosh SSD' to sound cool :)

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
I have an '09 Mini, and even with the original stock HDD (120gb), I still can't hear a thing from it. Yes they are just THAT quiet!

txnoob

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I have an '09 Mini, and even with the original stock HDD (120gb), I still can't hear a thing from it. Yes they are just THAT quiet!

I'll agree with you there. The only time I started to hear mine was when I installed FMC and boosted fan speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.