PDA

View Full Version : import video thru USB?

native00
Jun 21, 2004, 10:34 AM
so my roomate goes and drops that $1400 on a new sony camera. One of those new ones that records onto an 8cm dvd disk. Anyways, i cannot import the video using iMovie, because the expensive little machine only has a USB port! My roomate is a complete monkey and does not want to take the little machine back, so......

...is there any app or way that i can import the video using USB?

ftaok
Jun 21, 2004, 11:31 AM
so my roomate goes and drops that $1400 on a new sony camera. One of those new ones that records onto an 8cm dvd disk. Anyways, i cannot import the video using iMovie, because the expensive little machine only has a USB port! My roomate is a complete monkey and does not want to take the little machine back, so......

...is there any app or way that i can import the video using USB?
Why not use something like forty-two or Handbrake to rip the mpg2 files off of the DVD. Then convert the mpg2 file into DV. Of course it'll take quite a bit of time, but you wouldn't have to mess around with importing via USB.

native00
Jun 21, 2004, 12:33 PM
thanks for the timely reply, i will look into d/ling those apps. By the way, I have a 15in 1.25 Powerbook...will it read the 8cm disk?

live4ever
Jun 21, 2004, 01:14 PM
thanks for the timely reply, i will look into d/ling those apps. By the way, I have a 15in 1.25 Powerbook...will it read the 8cm disk?

Don't stick the disk in the Powerbook!!! It'll get stuck for sure.

You will have to convert to DV in order to edit with iMovie. That camera only records mpeg2, I'd encourage your roomate to take it back and buy a miniDv one if they would like to edit the footage shot.

ftaok
Jun 21, 2004, 01:15 PM
Since you have a slot-loading drive, you shouldn't try using those mini-DVDs. It'll probably jam in the slot. Your best bet would be using an external DVD drive. If you don't have one handy, maybe you could network with a computer with a DVD drive.

BTW, since you'd have to convert the mpg2 to DV, you'll end up losing quality. I'm not sure of any application that will allow you to edit mpg2 video directly.

I think the general consensus regarding Sony's (among others) DVD camcorders is that they aren't worth the hassle if you want to edit the footage. So keep working on your buddy to return it for a much cheaper (and better) mini DV camera.

abhishekit
Jun 21, 2004, 01:45 PM
Little off-topic, but its really surprising that such a high end sony camcorder doesn't have a firewire port. I have a low end sony trv 250, and even it has both firewire and usb.

strider42
Jun 21, 2004, 02:24 PM
Since you have a slot-loading drive, you shouldn't try using those mini-DVDs. It'll probably jam in the slot. Your best bet would be using an external DVD drive. If you don't have one handy, maybe you could network with a computer with a DVD drive.

On the slot loading iMacs, it was OK to use Mini CD's and DVD's, so long as they were round. it was the odd shaped one's that caused problems. Apple had a KB article about it. I don't know if the same applies to powerbooks, though I rather suspect it does. check out apple's knowledge base and see if anything's there about it pertaining to power books.

MisterMe
Jun 21, 2004, 02:29 PM
Little off-topic, but its really surprising that such a high end sony camcorder doesn't have a firewire port. I have a low end sony trv 250, and even it has both firewire and usb.To stay off-topic, a $1400 DV camera is not high end. As you know, Sony was one the first peripheral manufacturers to support FireWire, which it calls iLink. So it is not like the company is trying to sabotage the protocol.

ChrisFromCanada
Jun 21, 2004, 03:17 PM
On the slot loading iMacs, it was OK to use Mini CD's and DVD's, so long as they were round. it was the odd shaped one's that caused problems. Apple had a KB article about it. I don't know if the same applies to powerbooks, though I rather suspect it does. check out apple's knowledge base and see if anything's there about it pertaining to power books.

Someone posted a little while ago about how he got a mini-CD stuck in his powerbook so I don't think it works.

native00
Jun 21, 2004, 09:32 PM
w'sup guys, it's me..he who posteth the original thread. Just a little update... i didn't stick the little disk in my PB, just out of common sense, but thanks for the heads up. I think that while a $1400 machine is not high-end, it is way too expensive to not have firewire, and my roomate is still the same monkey. You guys sure there is no way to go through USB?