PDA

View Full Version : Apple WWDC

TigerPRO
Jun 21, 2004, 10:52 AM
Does anyone find it odd that Apple didn't wait until WWDC to announce iTunes 4.6, Airport Express, The New PowerMac G5s, and Remote Desktop 2? All these products aren't going to be available until afterwards anyway, so why would Apple be in a hurry to announce them earlier, when they could be great material for Job's keynote? I think this could mean one of two things: Apple is moving away from the "one time massive clump" strategy for announcing new products, or, there are even more spectacular announcements in the wings that need plenty of "space".

What do you think?

invaLPsion
Jun 21, 2004, 11:14 AM
Does anyone find it odd that Apple didn't wait until WWDC to announce iTunes 4.6, Airport Express, The New PowerMac G5s, and Remote Desktop 2? All these products aren't going to be available until afterwards anyway, so why would Apple be in a hurry to announce them earlier, when they could be great material for Job's keynote? I think this could mean one of two things: Apple is moving away from the "one time massive clump" strategy for announcing new products, or, there are even more spectacular announcements in the wings that need plenty of "space".

What do you think?

I'm going to have to go with the latter.

Zaty
Jun 21, 2004, 11:35 AM
Actually, I think the first option most definitely is part of the reason, whether we're going to see lots of great new things, I don't know. The only product line that is still in dire need of an update is the iMac. That being said, the iMac is basically a consumer product, so a release at WWDC doesn't make much sense unless Apple will show off new iMacs G5. This would then be a signal for developers to start optimising apps for G5s. My bet is, that the WWDC keynote will be mostly on Tiger, but Apple is always good for a surprise. "One more thing...".

rueyeet
Jun 21, 2004, 11:48 AM
Could be a mix of both. Apple is definitely trying to reduce the dependency on trade shows for major product announcements, and that's been evident for a while now, but I would sincerely hope that the last major Apple trade show of the Mac's 20th anniversary year isn't going to pass without some kind of fanfare and whoop-de-doo.

Gherkin
Jun 21, 2004, 04:07 PM
At the keynote in January, Steve mentioned that this being the 20th year of the Mac, they will be introducing some very cool new products throughout the year. Hopefully something totally out of the blue will be introduced next week.

TigerPRO
Jun 21, 2004, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a live stream of the keynote?

abhishekit
Jun 21, 2004, 04:48 PM
At the keynote in January, Steve mentioned that this being the 20th year of the Mac, they will be introducing some very cool new products throughout the year. Hopefully something totally out of the blue will be introduced next week.

Well , introducing new PBs is highly unlikely. They wouldn't have updated the line for just 4 months. So, that leaves us with what, new emacs, displays? perhaps new iPods?

TigerPRO
Jun 21, 2004, 10:19 PM
Well , introducing new PBs is highly unlikely. They wouldn't have updated the line for just 4 months. So, that leaves us with what, new emacs, displays? perhaps new iPods?

Yeah, but even the emacs where updated only a month of two ago. So That leave displays and iPods. I'll bet you there will be new displays. iPods: I don't know. What more could they possibly do. There's only two things I can thing of: Colors and more disk space. But I don't know if they'll do that yet.

Chaszmyr
Jun 21, 2004, 11:26 PM
The options are displays, iPods, iMacs, or something completely new...

And how did PowerBooks even get drawn into this thread? Doesn't anyone ever shut up about PowerBooks? lol

jknight8907
Jun 22, 2004, 11:47 AM

Take a look at the 'Buyer's Guide' section of this website. According to it, in 1/2003, the PBs we're updated at this point in time...............
:D :D

Cooknn
Jun 22, 2004, 12:14 PM
The options are displays, iPods, iMacs, or something completely new...A High-Definition Set Top Box (not to be confused with an HD DVD Burner). This would have to be a completely new device as I don't believe Steve's comments in the past favor using the Mac as the hub. Imagine being able to purchase/rent HD content to watch on your TV (or your new DVI HD Apple Display) using an Apple iTunes type storefront. The new HD video codec, dubbed h.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10 be used to stream these titles to our living room over our existing internet connection.

SiliconAddict
Jun 22, 2004, 12:21 PM
Actually, I think the first option most definitely is part of the reason, whether we're going to see lots of great new things, I don't know. The only product line that is still in dire need of an update is the iMac.

And the PowerBook line

SiliconAddict
Jun 22, 2004, 12:22 PM
Doesn't anyone ever shut up about PowerBooks? lol

No because their performance sucks ***. Why do you think people are always looking for a PB update.

Zaty
Jun 22, 2004, 12:24 PM
And the PowerBook line

Why is that? The PB's have just recently been updated. I think the new revision is great.

jeremy.king
Jun 22, 2004, 01:18 PM
WWDC is marketed toward Developers. Why announce new products that aren't specifically targeted toward Developers? Besides, didn't Steve-O say he was going to stop stealing the limelight with product announcements at major conventions?

I predict that NO new hardware will be announced and that Apple focuses on Tiger and the Development tools for OS X - two key areas for getting more developers interested in writing apps for OS X.

edit: Macworld is only 3.5 weeks away too...Perhaps a surprise visit?

DGFan
Jun 22, 2004, 02:33 PM
I think *something* will be announced other than Tiger.

I can understand why they would want to spread out the announcements, though. As someone else already mentioned, relying too much on big shows to announce products has a tendancy to dry up sales before the shows.

Spreading things out also allows people (like us) and the press to talk about them and get excited. Imagine if AE, new PMs, new displays, and whatever is actually going to be released at WWDC were all released on the same day. Some things would get lost in the shuffle. This way, each product gets a day in the sun. I like it.
:)

MacsRgr8
Jun 22, 2004, 03:11 PM
IMHO the fact that no iMac has the 1.5 Ghz G4 (nor even the 1.33 GHz), makes it pretty obvious that the iMac has been "left out" regarding G4 updates.
Why?
I think it would have been pretty simple for Apple to introduce new iMacs: Low-end 1.33 GHz; high-end 1.5 GHz (updated grfx cards too).
These updates are not good enough for them to be announced at a major show like the WWDC, so either these iMac updates are very, very late...
or there will be a major update happening to the iMac:

iMac G5.

Here's to hoping!

wdlove
Jun 22, 2004, 05:17 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a live stream of the keynote?

I just checked my Diary from last year. Apple had WWDC streamed via Quicktime after the Keynote. My deep hope is that it will be via Satellite, so I can see it live at the CambridgeSide Galleria. Had a great time at MWSF 2004.

kingjr3 "edit: Macworld is only 3.5 weeks away too...Perhaps a surprise visit?"

That would certainly be an awesome occurrence. One can only hope until the conference.

TigerPRO
Jun 22, 2004, 06:23 PM
I just checked my Diary from last year. Apple had WWDC streamed via Quicktime after the Keynote. My deep hope is that it will be via Satellite, so I can see it live at the CambridgeSide Galleria. Had a great time at MWSF 2004.

kingjr3 "edit: Macworld is only 3.5 weeks away too...Perhaps a surprise visit?"

That would certainly be an awesome occurrence. One can only hope until the conference.

Thank you for verifying that. I know the Macworld Keynote is always streamed live. But as far as I could remember, the WWDC keynote has never been streamed live. I don't know why they wouldn't. I'm sure they realize it would be a huge hit as the live Macworld stream is. But unfortunately for me, even if they do stream it live, I'll be miles from a broadband connection during the keynote.

jholzner
Jun 22, 2004, 09:25 PM
I think the explanation is MUCH simpler. They released iTunes 4.6 and Airport Express at D:All things digital. They they released RD2 basically at NECC. It just seams that they releasing products at the appropriate venues and aren't doing it because they have a ton of stuff for WWDC. They released the powermacs because they were ready. And WWDC will show case Tiger...as a developer conference should. Plus, I don't think Apple is wanting to turn the WWDC into a faux MacWorld New York. They are trying to get away from forums like that. They aren't even showing the WWDC preview in Apple Stores. I think they released the PowerMacs last year there because it was HUGE HUGE news after years with the G4.