Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yes, it's gone from the list because the cluster is gone from VA Tech and hasn't been replaced with G5 versions of XServe because they haven't received all of them yet. It's not been that long that anyone has had their G5 XServe machines.

It's most likely that we'll see the cluster back in the top 10 again within months, though.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I think I read somewhere, either on the message boards here or on the internet, that since the VT "BigMac" was disassembled to be replaced for xserve G5's that it wouldn't make the list since it is not in operation. I think that VT is still waiting for Xserve G5's, but don't qoute me on that.

That might be why they are not on the list.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
must not really need to do any supercomputing over there, huh?

why would they disassemble their old one before the new one was in their possession if they were actually using it for something useful?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
benpatient said:
must not really need to do any supercomputing over there, huh?

why would they disassemble their old one before the new one was in their possession if they were actually using it for something useful?

Probably becuase Apple told them that they would be getting G5 Xserves a long time ago, and they still haven't got them. Seriously though, you are on the money, why would you dismantle it if it were doing something even somewhat important, at least wait untill you get the Xserves in your possesion, or a confirmed ship notice.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
So VTech's cluster's basically a publicity stunt to advertise Apple's new G5. End of story. I mean it didn't take them long to get the G5 desktop cluster together, but why the long wait for the G5 Xserver? Maybe Steve said, nice doing business w/ you, I have more people aware of Apple now, you won't get the G5 Xserver cluster I promised.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
The G5 Xserve was delayed due to some unexpected problems which led to low initial yields of the 90nm 970fx(G5) processor. According to some reports, Steve Jobs was very unhappy about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.