Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Right now my 3G just sits there in an open space just moving and sliding around, I don't care much...however when I upgrade in less than 2 months I want to get a nice dock so I don't have that problem with my 3GS. Is there any car docks or mounts you recommend? I have a 2007 Honda Civic by the way if that helps. Thanks :)

jlwillia

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I also am looking for some kind of dock that would work well when using the Navigon app. I would need something that would put it on the dash in "sight" of a satellite, obviously. Any ideas?

Please don't try to start a Navigon/TT debate about the TT's dock thing. I've read those threads already. I want to know what those of you that use the Navigon app use.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
I see someone already hi-jacking my thread.

/

Back on topic with docks please.

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
LOL about the turtles!

Check out pro clip:

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionp...egoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=0&p_leftorright=

They have specific mounting options for different cars. I opted for a universal vent mount I found at Target, so that I can move it car to car if need be. That link above is for your 07 civic..

You get the special mount, and then get the device holder. A little expensive but to some it's worth having an integrated look. The vent mount I got was $20, and actually doesn't look that bad.

*edit* this is the Target mount:
http://www.target.com/Bracketron-Gr...mbrowse=0&index=target&rh=k:bracketron&page=1

I will try to post a pic later today.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
The Kensington iPhone dash mount seems to be a favorite of many here. Allows for rotating into landscape mode as well for GPS uses.

41b3bg6loEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
becareful with this company, the part that holds my phone broke.. the arms wont unlock or go back into place and they left me high and dry.

I also read that if you use the adhesive pad, it does not stick well in the heat. Well most adhesives are like that in the car.

jlwillia

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I see someone already hi-jacking my thread.

/

Back on topic with docks please.

How is that hi-jacking your thread? It's exactly on topic. I want to know about docks in my car, but my situation is slightly different because I want it for GPS usage.

Grow up.

jacobgaul

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
This one isn't bad. Its a Windshield Mount. It's from the people that has G-Map for the iPhone. The only drawback is that it won't allow you to rotate the iPhone Horizontally. It twists up/down, and side to side. Unless you unstick it from the Windshield and stick it on in the Horizontal position. Then you would be all set.
It's $19.99 The link is: http://www.xroadgps.com/tabid/1902/ProductID/71/Default.aspx

c-iphone_cradle_05.jpg

bestbuy sells this for $19.99 or $24.99 if i recall correctly, i was just there the other day.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
LOL about the turtles!
:confused:

Check out pro clip:
http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionp...egoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=0&p_leftorright=

They have specific mounting options for different cars. opted for a universal vent mount I found at Target, so that I can move it car to car if need be. That link above is for your 07 civic.
I got a Proclip center console mount + Proclip basic non-swivel holder, wasn't too pricey, works very well for just using iPod functions, wouldn't be good for GPS in that location (in my car at least). It's very solidly mounted though, would hold in place even without using the adhesive strips (and the vent mounts just clip in I think).

Question is do you want a whole dock/mount solution or just a mount and a separate audio connector (I use a Griffin Autopilot and slid the AUX cable around the Proclip to keep the wire out of the way).

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
For those using the ProClip/Panavise/Bracketron vehicle-specific mounts, there is an inexpensive add-on that is, I believe, essential to use with the iPhone. It's called the Ultra Slim Swivel and allows you to rotate your phone in any direction and is perfect for switching between vertical/horizontal for GPS applications. It's inexpensive (~$7 US) and appears to be made fairly well - just received mine a couple of days ago.
phpThumb-1.php_4_3.jpeg

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
nothing wrong with hi-jacking

he is looking for the same info as you and is simply joining in the discussion this is welcome vs double posting and plus two heads are better then one. :D I tend to like the Griffin but they need a universal version.

Oilbrnr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
If you want something beefy, look into a RAM mount. GPScity.com has all the fixn's. Rock steady in my 4x4 and boat.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
i use the kensington liquidaux mount. charges your phone and has auxiliary sound.

3680606898_35b414fea9.jpg

3679792583_4b97403ae8.jpg

works fine with navigon gps app. the only problem i have with it is that i wish the gooseneck were longer but oh well. i highly doubt having your iphone 1 foot closer to your window is going to make any difference at all for gps. that picture is not my car but i also drive a 2006 honda civic :)

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
I just got my Griffin WindowSeat delivered from Newegg!!! It's awesome!!!!!

griffin-window-seat.jpg

(Thats not my picture, just one I found on google, haha. But that's how it looks in my car too :p)

You can also put it on the dash board if you like (it comes with everything you need to do it).

Niki.King

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
I've struggled to find anything that i like to hold my iPhone in the car, i have tried a lot of mobile phone and PDA holders and nothing seems to work the way I want it to. So I've began to make my own holder using a Belkin iPod holder,
41fvVc-5IOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
and a mount that is a lot similar to the ones on a Garmin Nuvi Series sat nav, something like this
Nuvi%20200%20010-10936-00.jpg
, it still needs quite a bit of work to make it look and function properly but i think its going to be good :D i will upload some photos later on when its starting to set.

Alexwithad

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
USA
Griffin WindowSeat

My vote goes to the Griffin WindowSeat, I just picked it up tuesday from a local store and only paid $9.99 (Beats 29.99 on Griffins site). It comes with all the pieces you could possibly need for your iPhone 3g, iPhone 2g, iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Also it comes with a plastic circle to put on your dash and to mount on your dash.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/windowseat

Redwood

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
My vote goes to the Griffin WindowSeat, I just picked it up tuesday from a local store and only paid $9.99 (Beats 29.99 on Griffins site). It comes with all the pieces you could possibly need for your iPhone 3g, iPhone 2g, iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Also it comes with a plastic circle to put on your dash and to mount on your dash.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/windowseat

What local store did you purchase it from? Maybe that store is in my area also. I need one by tomorrow and if I can find one in my local area store I can run and get it.

Alexwithad

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
USA
What local store did you purchase it from? Maybe that store is in my area also. I need one by tomorrow and if I can find one in my local area store I can run and get it.

Marshalls or TJ Maxx hahah believe it or not. I found that they had **** for super cheap.

jer-78

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Any mounts work with skins?

I use an iSkin because I find it gives me extra grip and protects the back. I am waiting for the TomTom kit to try out but I have a feeling I'd have to take the skin off everytime I put it in the mount. Is anyone using another mount with a skin on?

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I too am looking for a car holder that could work without taking off the iPhone case. Ideally that can turn horizontally for turn-by-turn GPS.

Has anyone got any recommendations, in a non-thread hijacking sort of way...
:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.