Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyanTimms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
i just recently made the switch from pc to mac, and alllllllllll of my hd video clips were captured on my pc in a .m2t format, i am trying to find a way to edit with these clips so that i dont have to convert every single one, cause this is over 60 gig of stuff seperated into pretty small clips, it would take years to convert everything.

i got final cut pro 6, but when i try to import the .m2t files, it says this file type is unknown..

i have downloaded vlc media player so that i can still view the clips, but i am still unable to do anything with them....

does anybody know if adobe primere can edit .m2t? im not really sure what to do..thanks!

RyanTimms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
they all came from a sony v1u, which is a tape based camera...and i was looking and adobe cs4 supports .m2t files, so i might just need to go that route instead, cause this is over 50 hrs of stuff there is no way i am going to recapture it all..

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Voltaic

Check out Voltaic.
http://www.shedworx.com/node/107

Using Voltaic you will be able to (hopefully) convert to AIC for editing in FCP.

There's a trial version.

You may wish to consider other products in there range, e.g. FlamingoHD is a library organiser for your HD files. With it you can organise and browse your HD files and export as a "project" via Voltaic. I don't know if you can set I/O points on the files for export.

Using Flamingo means you can keep all your footage in it's compressed format rather than converting the whole lot to AIC. AIC takes a LOT of room.

RyanTimms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
well being a student currently i have nooo funds, im trying to find a way to convert these for free....any suggestions? ive been reading stuff on something called mpegstreamclip? anybody know about that and its legitness? thanks for the help guys.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
MPEG Streamclip is a freeware application that you let you convert the .m2t files to QT movies. FCP edits HDV natively, so you can convert the video to HDV 1080i or for smoother editing, AIC or ProRes (but these formats use 4-5x the disk space).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.