Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appearing on Apple's website today is the official release of the iPod Your BMW campaign that had been previously rumored, thread and had also appeared earlier in a magazine advertisement

Connect with music like never before behind the wheel of your BMW 3 Series, and X3 and X5 SAV, Z4 Roadster or MINI. With the installation of an integrated adapter developed by Apple and BMW, you can now control your iPod or iPod mini through the existing audio system and multi-function steering wheel. Which means no loss of power. No loss of sound quality. No loss of control.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Looks very cool. Not as intrusive as I thought it would be. Nice plus for BMW owners of the supported models and new models. I wonder if other car manufacturers are being set up as well. Start another revolution. ;)
–Chase

P.S. My first first post! :D

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
They should have made the BMW logo on the steering wheel function as a scroll wheel for the iPod.

// narco

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
http://www.apple.com/ipod/bmw/ is not up yet, but the link is on the page. Note to project manager: Do a test run first.

But by looking and the pics, there is no dock for the iPod? You just plug it in the glove box. There should be an optional mount kit for external access.

Cool news though. It came out earlier than I expected. I guess this is not good enough to be announced at the WWDC. The WWDC must have some super announcements. 1 week to go.

BTW, I'll wait until Apple partners up with another car manufacturer.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I hope apple does with lexus.....Any one have an ipod and a lexus (ES with navi) and hooked it up so it can work. I don't really care about controlling it from the steeringwheel or radio, just so i can get the audio from it?

Might I add that is the worest commerical, very poor apple...

henners

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2004
indextop06212004.jpg

This is really not an adequate solution, one has to reach over to plug the ipod in. Then it is not properly secured in. Once in, the user has no real control of the iPod, 5 playlists? What about all the other 40 GB+ music? A vague stab without the expected apple touch. Shame

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
unless they are planning an aftermarket one...

this is a little annoying and i must say dissapointing.

but i don't know the extent of this yet, so i will gripe no more.

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
they stuck it in the glovebox? is that for real or just a photoshop joke?

EDIT: Saw the site... unbelieveably lame. I would have expected a more elegant solution.

celina

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2003
anybody take a look at the TV ad listed on the site yet? Is it just me or does the Apple logo at the end of the clip look completely wrong?

The URL in the clip doesn't look like it points to anything yet either, http://www.ipodyourbmw.com

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
narco said:
They should have made the BMW logo on the steering wheel function as a scroll wheel for the iPod.

// narco

erm... i don't think that would be a good idea.
it would introduce yet another control concept to be wrestled with while driving a car and i think that bmw is steering clear of adding yet more knobs and twiddly bits 8no pun intended)

mgescuro

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2002
Silicon Valley
Well, I would assume that the "clunkiness" of the setup is due to the technology limitations of the BMW. Notice that the vehicles that are compatible with this do not have the iDrive system installed?

If you are concerned about the "other 40GB of music," then create 5 playlists that incorporate the rest of the 40GB of music.

If I had a Bimmer, this would be sufficient. However, the compatible Bimmers aren't the ones I would even consider purchasing. :(

henners said:
This is really not an adequate solution, one has to reach over to plug the ipod in. Then it is not properly secured in. Once in, the user has no real control of the iPod, 5 playlists? What about all the other 40 GB+ music? A vague stab without the expected apple touch. Shame

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
i just realized...

that BMW did this, not apple. it's like alpine's thing. Apple is just capitalizing on the exposure by posting this. i am no longer mad at APPLE..

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
celina said:
anybody take a look at the TV ad listed on the site yet? Is it just me or does the Apple logo at the end of the clip look completely wrong?

The URL in the clip doesn't look like it points to anything yet either, http://www.ipodyourbmw.com

the apple logo looks completely wrong. :eek: eh? it looks like some quickie freehand job.

that's a marketing no no

Could it be that the reason that the iPod integration has not been introduced to the cars with the iDrive system because iDrive is based on Windows CE?

Then again, the 1 series (being released later this year in Germany anyway) is available with iDrive and also with iPod integration.

I certainly hope that they implement the iPod integration into their other series, as I may be purchasing one in the near future. It would be great with iDrive since that spinning doodad could be used in place of the scroll wheel.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
greenmonsterman said:
they stuck it in the glovebox? is that for real or just a photoshop joke?

Well, the glove box is probably where there are easy connections that can be made to install whatever you need to hook up your iPod. That's probably why it is located there.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
wow, this will work great for my mom! i think. i forget if her BMW is an '01 or an '02. . . hopefully its an '02 so she can get this to work with her iPod mini.

i think the glove box is a good place. thatway you just turn your car off and leave. if its sitting out in a dock, you have to put it up, otherwise someone will look in see the iPod sitting in plain sight, break the window and grab it. that would be bad!!

ive been looking for an excuse to get a mini. . .the car not the iPod. . . this would be really cool!!!

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
To listen to iPod music in your BMW, you can either create up to five unique BMW playlists within iTunes, or choose to listen to your entire library. Once you’ve transferred your BMW playlists to your iPod, just plug your iPod into your glovebox adapter cable, select a playlist and you’re ready to take your tunes on the road.

I'm sure Apple would have made full access like we have now. I'm too lazy to look now but does Alpine's iPod-Ready system limit you like this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.