PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard & CS3

shady825
Aug 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
Does anyone here know if CS3 was working properly or at all on Snow Leopard? (developer seeds obviously)

Thanks..

Krafty
Aug 11, 2009, 05:04 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8264092&postcount=22

In short: Not really.

sthursby
Aug 11, 2009, 06:07 PM
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't it?

shady825
Aug 11, 2009, 10:53 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8264092&postcount=22

In short: Not really.

Wasnt sure where to post the question! ;)

So will Adobe release a "update" or are we being forced to buy CS4?? :confused:

Krafty
Aug 11, 2009, 11:51 PM
Wasnt sure where to post the question! ;)

So will Adobe release a "update" or are we being forced to buy CS4?? :confused:
CS4, seeing as Adobe doesn't really care about any problems on the Mac with their products (i.e. Flash videos)

opeter
Aug 12, 2009, 07:12 AM
Why doesn't CS3 work on Snow Leopard? I don't understand. It is Universal Binary after all, or not?

shady825
Aug 12, 2009, 08:54 AM
Why doesn't CS3 work on Snow Leopard? I don't understand. It is Universal Binary after all, or not?

When a new OS comes out, sometimes, it isn't fully compatible with 3rd party apps (right away). Therfor the developer, Adobe in this case, will release a "patch" to support the new OS.
BUT with CS4 out I'm sure Adobe wants people to go that direction.

I was hoping SL wasn't a big enuff change to brick any apps but I guess we will just have to wait and see...

opeter
Aug 22, 2009, 07:29 AM
I am not going to update my Leopard to Snow Leopard anyway.

Krafty
Aug 22, 2009, 08:13 AM
CS3 probably isn't coded properly for SL, but seeing as CS4 works, I doubt Adobe would really care and tell you to just upgrade to that instead.

Plus SL isn't even released yet so its not really surprising. But my work computer will remain on Leopard for the time being although I'm slowly trying to migrate to CS4.

Rt&Dzine
Aug 22, 2009, 09:26 AM
That'll keep me from upgrading to Snow Leopard for awhile.

Designer Dale
Aug 22, 2009, 03:15 PM
CS3 probably isn't coded properly for SL, but seeing as CS4 works, I doubt Adobe would really care and tell you to just upgrade to that instead.

Plus SL isn't even released yet so its not really surprising. But my work computer will remain on Leopard for the time being although I'm slowly trying to migrate to CS4.

So it looks like Adobe will use SL to muscle cash from those of us using CS3. Rats. I have better things to do with $XXX and Leopard runs fine for me. I will hang on 10.5 for a while and not complain.

Dale

jwt
Aug 23, 2009, 11:30 AM
That would be a major bummer if Adobe didn't patch CS3. I bought it under the student discount, as that was all I could afford and justify. Now that I'm married, I'll have a difficult time justifying to my wife that I need to spend $400 to buy the package all over again so I can run a $30 piece of software. I'll be running Leopard for a long long long time.

Compile 'em all
Aug 23, 2009, 11:33 AM
Why are people saying CS3 doesn't work on SL? Work fine here (been running it on SL for 1 week now).

bbotte
Aug 23, 2009, 11:51 AM
I don't see adobe photoshop elements on the list, anyone know? I have version 6. I hope it works.

Krafty
Aug 23, 2009, 12:27 PM
Why are people saying CS3 doesn't work on SL? Work fine here (been running it on SL for 1 week now).
Maybe cause it isn't working for some of us? :confused:

Or maybe cause I like putting peanut butter on my http://imgkk.com/i/Ko8rML.gif for dogs to lick it off. So it looks like Adobe will use SL to muscle cash from those of us using CS3. Rats. I have better things to do with $XXX and Leopard runs fine for me. I will hang on 10.5 for a while and not complain.

Dale I wouldn't be surprised since no matter how much we tell them Flash is anally raping our Macs they wont do jack about it.

doug in albq
Aug 23, 2009, 12:44 PM
CS3 works fine in SL, including FTP'ing with Dreamweaver

this is just more FUD.

if CS3 does not work for YOU, then your computer has its own individual problems.

IgnatiusTheKing
Aug 23, 2009, 12:48 PM
I came across this list of compatible/incompatible applications the other day. The last time I looked at it CS3 was listed as not working. Now it says that it is working but there are "Minor bugs in Photoshop and/or Dreamweaver."

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Voidness
Aug 25, 2009, 06:22 PM
Adobe just released an official statement (http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/files/Adobe-SnowLeopard_FAQ.pdf) regarding Snow Leopard, and it doesn't sound good for CS3 users:
Q. Will older versions of Adobe creative software—such as Adobe Creative Suite 3 or Macromedia® Studio 8 software—support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6)?

A. Older versions of Adobe creative software were not included in our testing efforts. While older Adobe and Macromedia applications may install and run on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6), they were designed, tested, and released to the public several years before this new operating system became available. You may therefore experience a variety of installation, stability, and reliability issues for which there is no resolution. Older versions of our creative software will not be updated to support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6).
I can understand not supporting CS2 and older versions, since they're PowerPC applications and Snow Leopard isn't available for PowerPC Macs. But CS3? Come on Adobe :mad:

Krafty
Aug 25, 2009, 10:22 PM
Adobe just released an official statement (http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/files/Adobe-SnowLeopard_FAQ.pdf) regarding Snow Leopard, and it doesn't sound good for CS3 users:

I can understand not supporting CS2 and older versions, since they're PowerPC applications and Snow Leopard isn't available for PowerPC Macs. But CS3? Come on Adobe :mad:
Heh, what a shock. Adobe might as well have included a photo of a middle finger in that statement as well.

Inky Joe
Aug 26, 2009, 02:09 PM
So they said they didn't test it and it wasn't designed for Snow Leopard. That doesn't mean it won't work just means what it says they didn't test for it. So do I still have a chance that all my CS3 stuff will work on Snow Leopard just won't get anymore updates?

Krafty
Aug 26, 2009, 02:16 PM
So they said they didn't test it and it wasn't designed for Snow Leopard. That doesn't mean it won't work just means what it says they didn't test for it. So do I still have a chance that all my CS3 stuff will work on Snow Leopard just won't get anymore updates?
Read the bold print, they clearly said they werent going to update it to support SL.

Krafty
Aug 26, 2009, 08:18 PM
Strike that, I tested it on the latest build (cause I think the last time was on 421) and the program freezing problem is gone. So, thats a sigh of relief.

Inky Joe
Aug 27, 2009, 12:11 AM
so it does work now?

Krafty
Aug 27, 2009, 12:14 AM
so it does work now?
So far in 10A432 it seems to. I havent tested the other programs but I don't have the entire suite.

IgnatiusTheKing
Aug 27, 2009, 09:34 AM
I posted this on the other thread, as well, but since that one has turned into a Windows/Mac OS pissing match, I thought I'd post it here as well. Apparently Photoshop CS3 has been tested on Snow Leopard and works. They're just not "officially" saying so.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/08/pscs3_on_snowleopard.html

rkdiddy
Sep 3, 2009, 11:11 AM
Long story short...

I'm having one heck of a time with a Licensing Error of my CS3 suite. It first happened on my MBP (upgraded to SL first). I did a fresh install and then did restore from a TM back-up. As soon as I opened Illustrator I received an error that the licensing was no longer working. It said I needed to reinstall or or update. I tried both with no luck. Then, did a search online and found there was an Adobe program to fix the licensing issue. Tried all the suggested methods - no luck.

I ended up doing a fresh install and reinstalling all of my programs - PITA. So far everything is working on my MBP.

Next, was my Mini. Everything worked fine at first, then I received the same error. Went through all the same steps - no dice.

I'm now in the process of re-installing everything. :rolleyes:

Rt&Dzine
Sep 4, 2009, 12:40 PM
I hope you got that all worked out rkdiddy.

Has anyone been using InDesign CS3 intensely with Snow Leopard? Any issues?

rhett7660
Sep 5, 2009, 10:48 AM

Have you been able to use all of the programs under the CS3 suite? If not, which ones have you been running?

panoz7
Sep 5, 2009, 11:30 AM
Have you been able to use all of the programs under the CS3 suite? If not, which ones have you been running?

Can't speak for Compile 'em all, but I've been running the entire CS3 design suite under snow leopard and have had surprisingly few problems so far. I've probably spent 60% of my time in illustrator, 20% in indesign, and 10% each in photoshop and flash, and haven't had any major glitches. Indesign crashed on me once, but it used to do that occasionally in leopard as well, so no real change there.

I've had some problems with font management, namely linotype font explorer is having issues. I might have to upgrade to the new payed version. Beyond that I've been pleasantly surprised with snow leopard. All of my printers installed really easily, my scanner works just as well as it did in leopard, and network drives seem to be working perfectly.

I refuse to upgrade to CS4. I was completely happy with CS2 and only upgraded after I got an intel mac. I don't see any super compelling new features in CS4 other than in flash. Hopefully CS5 will be out soon, an adobe will have focused on actually improving performance and stability instead of just adding features that I never use.

rhett7660
Sep 5, 2009, 03:55 PM
Can't speak for rhett7660, but I've been running the entire CS3 design suite under snow leopard and have had surprisingly few problems so far. I've probably spent 60% of my time in illustrator, 20% in indesign, and 10% each in photoshop and flash, and haven't had any major glitches. Indesign crashed on me once, but it used to do that occasionally in leopard as well, so no real change there.

I've had some problems with font management, namely linotype font explorer is having issues. I might have to upgrade to the new payed version. Beyond that I've been pleasantly surprised with snow leopard. All of my printers installed really easily, my scanner works just as well as it did in leopard, and network drives seem to be working perfectly.

I refuse to upgrade to CS4. I was completely happy with CS2 and only upgraded after I got an intel mac. I don't see any super compelling new features in CS4 other than in flash. Hopefully CS5 will be out soon, an adobe will have focused on actually improving performance and stability instead of just adding features that I never use.

Thank you for the update! I am ready to upgrade, have disc in hand but have been kind of leary in doing so because I rely so much on Adobe products.

I am like you, I have no want or will to upgrade to CS4. Waiting for CS5 and to am hoping it works on stabilizing the products across the board as well as brings them into the 64bit realm for Mac.

amaltemara
Sep 14, 2009, 04:01 PM
Thank you for the update! I am ready to upgrade, have disc in hand but have been kind of leary in doing so because I rely so much on Adobe products.

I am like you, I have no want or will to upgrade to CS4. Waiting for CS5 and to am hoping it works on stabilizing the products across the board as well as brings them into the 64bit realm for Mac.

I'm having a major problem with Snow Leapord and Photoshop / CS3. I have a .psd that has an embedded smart-object, and when I open it, I get an error 'Could not complete your request because of a program error'.
When clicking 'ok' the error comes right back, so I can't do anything with the file.