PDA

View Full Version : Let's get some {MR} SC games going!

Durandal7
Jul 14, 2002, 05:55 PM
We should get some games going. C'mon MacAztec, Mischief and Catfish, you all know you want to show off.

BTW hitman, did you join yet or not? I'm not really sure...

job
Jul 29, 2002, 04:50 PM
Heh, thanks for reminding me.

I'm joining right now.

I can probably play later on in the week.

My AIM name is tycho684 but I use ICQ more often. My # is 144288983

hitman

mischief
Jul 30, 2002, 05:27 PM
I've found a lot of cool mods for SC and BW but it's all CWD and .EXE!!

If you have any apps or perhaps a URL to some mac-format mods I'd be VERY happy!

Please e-mail to mischief6xr@mac.com

MacAztec
Jul 30, 2002, 05:39 PM
I think I should change my name to like [MR]AzTeK

Even though GL@I)I@TORs stats are nice :)

MacAztec
Jul 30, 2002, 05:41 PM
I 4got my l/p information

Durandal7
Jul 30, 2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by mischief
I've found a lot of cool mods for SC and BW but it's all CWD and .EXE!!

If you have any apps or perhaps a URL to some mac-format mods I'd be VERY happy!

Please e-mail to mischief6xr@mac.com

Here's the only site I've ever found with any http://customs.macstarcraft.com/ never got them to work but good luck ;)

job
Jul 30, 2002, 10:37 PM
Lets start some games guys!

Later in the week would be better for me.
I'd also be up for some RtCW games too....

Durandal7
Jul 31, 2002, 02:18 AM
Damn newb ruined my game. Joined a 2v2 expert and my teammate wanted to know what the "spikes coming out of the ground" at the Zerg base were. Sheesh :rolleyes:

My B.net is asurace[MR] and I usually head to channel "Macrumors" when I log on.

job
Jul 31, 2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by asurace
Damn newb ruined my game. Joined a 2v2 expert and my teammate wanted to know what the "spikes coming out of the ground" at the Zerg base were. Sheesh :rolleyes:

lol. :D Thats the funniest thing I've heard all week.

My B.net is asurace[MR] and I usually head to channel "Macrumors" when I log on.

Sounds good. I'll create a new account with [MR] somewhere in the name.

Durandal7
Jul 31, 2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by hitman

lol. :D Thats the funniest thing I've heard all week.

Then he kept telling me to "send in your spider things to back up my machine gun guys" :rolleyes: Damn those newbies.

mischief
Aug 1, 2002, 12:16 PM
When I was retailing Macs we set up the demo's for doing gaming after hours. I was the only guy who hadn't used WarCraft. One of the New sales reps was being a jerk so I brought in Starcraft the next week.... BroodWars.

I gave him a good long head start. I built up reasonable ground defenses, I was playing Zerg... He was Terran and a third SR was playing Protoss.

I built straight to the Greater Spire and spawned a flight of 6 Guardians. I sent out 3 zerglings as a heads up and to verify his location. He didn't respond in the next 5 minutes so I sent in the guardians. He only had 4 or 5 marines and a tank. He quit out in less that 30 seconds of getting pounded. :D

job
Aug 1, 2002, 12:42 PM
My friend and I were playing a 2v2 map; he was Zerg I was Protoss.

I was attacking the one of other player's base with 24 Archons.

Over chat the guy under attack asked : "What are those glowing balls?" :D

If you want to see a really really long battle with massive amounts of troops watch the recording. I am the player "feldmarshal" (this was my second game in Bnet. :D)

job
Aug 1, 2002, 12:49 PM
I think this is the right recording.

I'm not so sure though.....

There should be 4 players on a money map 2 zerg, 1 protoss (me) and 1 terran.

damn the attach feature won't let me attach the file byitself. hold on while i compress it.

Catfish_Man
Aug 1, 2002, 01:18 PM
...is whining about the [], {}, and - - characters. Any ideas on what I should use? To add to the "SC stories" part of the thread:
The last game I played was with a really obnoxious guy (a pretty decent zerg player, but really annoying). He decided that because I didn't rush (it was a 2 v 2 computer game, so I wasn't really worried about the opposition) I was a newbie, and after we wiped out one computer player he dropped 2 dozen hydralisks in the back of my base. At this point I had a bunch of photon cannons, some carriers, and a few zealots. Since he was attacking from the back he wiped out the pylons for the cannons before my guys got there. Then it was 4 injured carriers and 2-3 zealots vs. 24 uninjured hydralisks. First game I've lost in ages.

job
Aug 1, 2002, 01:26 PM
I think our clan uses [MR] either before or after your Bnet name.

I'd ask asurace to be sure though.

Durandal7
Aug 1, 2002, 01:59 PM
[MR] is the accepted prefix/suffix, my username is asurace[MR]

Durandal7
Aug 1, 2002, 02:48 PM
I'm actually going onto B.net right now, i'll be in channel "Macrumors" (just Macrumors without the quotes)
-edit U.S. West Realm

topicolo
Aug 1, 2002, 02:50 PM
That's weak. Anybody who's somebody in SC knows that you have to rush to win a game. Staying on the defensive just gets u killed

Durandal7
Aug 1, 2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by topicolo
That's weak. Anybody who's somebody in SC knows that you have to rush to win a game. Staying on the defensive just gets u killed
Yea, once someone gets Siege Tanks you can say goodbye to your defenses.

topicolo
Aug 1, 2002, 03:18 PM
Siege tanks are for losers. You can easily wipe them out with any race if you're prepared:

1) if you're zerg: research burrowing, make about 10+ zerglings/hydralisks and dig them in a little distance outside of your base entrance and all over your base. When the tanks come, wait till they change modes and pop them up. They're gone :-)

2)if you're protoss: carriers or corsairs with disruption web. God I love disruption web! If you have neither, get a zealot and a high templar with ion storm. Send the zealot out to take their first volley, follow that with your templars and ion storm those tanks' ass.

3)if you're terran: the tanks shouldn't get near you 'cause you'd have your own siege tanks. You can also get a range advantage if you send out a cloaked ghost to scout out a little bit.

Terran battlecruisers are the ***** tho. This thread's getting me interested in SC again, maybe I should get back onto B.net

topicolo
Aug 1, 2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by asurace

Yea, once someone gets Siege Tanks you can say goodbye to your defenses.

most expert players don't bother to set up much in terms of defenses, they just block off areas with high hitpoint buildings (supply depots, engineering bays), and nestle one or two photon cannons/bunkers/subterrainian tentacles in between them. It makes it close to impossible for any melee units to do anything to the base.

job
Aug 1, 2002, 03:27 PM
Siege tanks are for losers. You can easily wipe them out with any race if you're prepared:

I like to "mine" any openings with 8-12 Lurkers.

By the time the tanks are in range and changing into siege mode it will be too late. :)

Durandal7
Aug 1, 2002, 03:31 PM

most expert players don't bother to set up much in terms of defenses, they just block off areas with high hitpoint buildings (supply depots, engineering bays), and nestle one or two photon cannons/bunkers/subterrainian tentacles in between them. It makes it close to impossible for any melee units to do anything to the base.
Most defensive structures are inadequate when the opponent gets advanced units. Many advanced units have higher ranges then defensive structures making them easily picked off by Guardians, Siege Tanks, etc. It's better to direct resources towards mobile units.

mischief
Aug 1, 2002, 03:45 PM
If you're quick U can nab a Zerg drone and beat feet. Once you have a drone you have a colony! Once you have a colony you can combine Arbiter's cloaking with Guardians and Devourers.... SICK. Guardians have the range of Siege Tanks But can't be hit by them. If you build up a captured Zerg hive cluster within a Protoss base and sit an Arbiter over it you can be close to untouchable.:D

Durandal7
Aug 1, 2002, 03:57 PM
Dark Archons are a lot of fun when a Terran player shows up with a fleet of Battlecruisers, you can steal some of them and use feedback on the surviving Battlecruisers.

xelterran
Aug 1, 2002, 04:04 PM
ok ill join ur clan just tell me what channel you hang in and what server u play on.

Durandal7
Aug 1, 2002, 04:20 PM
Channel is Macrumors , realm is U.S. West

topicolo
Aug 2, 2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by hitman

I like to "mine" any openings with 8-12 Lurkers.

By the time the tanks are in range and changing into siege mode it will be too late. :)
yeah, lurkers are great. Too bad they have a tendency to attack as soon as they see a unit, it makes it hard to ambush people. One trick I learned is that if you group lurkers with an overlord, and then tell them both to hold, they won't attack until you tell them to. That way, you can wait until their units are over your lurker group and then rip them apart :-)

Originally posted by mischeif

If you're quick U can nab a Zerg drone and beat feet. Once you have a drone you have a colony! Once you have a colony you can combine Arbiter's cloaking with Guardians and Devourers.... SICK. Guardians have the range of Siege Tanks But can't be hit by them. If you build up a captured Zerg hive cluster within a Protoss base and sit an Arbiter over it you can be close to untouchable.

If you have 2 arbiters, it's even easier to steal units from anybody. All you need to do is find a way to get your arbiter into the enemy's rock line while leaving an arbiter at your base, tell the arbiter to recall a dark archon and mindcontrol a drone/scv and then use the arbiter at your base to recall the dark archon, drone/scv and arbiter all at once. No fuss, no mess and it really pisses them off too :-)

mischief
Aug 2, 2002, 10:48 AM

yeah, lurkers are great. Too bad they have a tendency to attack as soon as they see a unit, it makes it hard to ambush people. One trick I learned is that if you group lurkers with an overlord, and then tell them both to hold, they won't attack until you tell them to. That way, you can wait until their units are over your lurker group and then rip them apart :-)

If you have 2 arbiters, it's even easier to steal units from anybody. All you need to do is find a way to get your arbiter into the enemy's rock line while leaving an arbiter at your base, tell the arbiter to recall a dark archon and mindcontrol a drone/scv and then use the arbiter at your base to recall the dark archon, drone/scv and arbiter all at once. No fuss, no mess and it really pisses them off too :-) Um. Yes. That IS what I meant by "Quick"
;)

To refine the combined strategy:

Once you have a baser covered in both Zerg and Protoss defense structures, with an Arbiter or 2 sitting over it you can proceed with the fun part:

Move all your units away from a section of base, make it a ralley point for your Hive and get 9 Lurkers going, add 1 protoss drone and group the 10 of them (You may want a carrier to make this work). Send your second Arbiter and the Carrier off to a base you want removed (so YOU can harvest it!). While your carrier softens the defenses quickly Recall the group you have waiting and immediately burrow the Lurkers. As soon as the Lurkers begin Attacking start building Pylons and cannons as fast as you can!:D

Once you've destroyed that base you can leave all the units and the resources will be monopolized nicely.

xelterran
Aug 2, 2002, 12:51 PM
heh heres a replay of a 1v1 broodwar game i played a while ago. (just remove the .zip extention)

djwoolf
Aug 2, 2002, 01:35 PM
looks like you guys started yet another SC craze. Iused to not sleep at nights b/c id play all the time. Now i gotta brush up my skills and play with you guys.

topicolo
Aug 2, 2002, 02:04 PM
Um. Yes. That IS what I meant by "Quick"
;)

To refine the combined strategy:

Once you have a baser covered in both Zerg and Protoss defense structures, with an Arbiter or 2 sitting over it you can proceed with the fun part:

Move all your units away from a section of base, make it a ralley point for your Hive and get 9 Lurkers going, add 1 protoss drone and group the 10 of them (You may want a carrier to make this work). Send your second Arbiter and the Carrier off to a base you want removed (so YOU can harvest it!). While your carrier softens the defenses quickly Recall the group you have waiting and immediately burrow the Lurkers. As soon as the Lurkers begin Attacking start building Pylons and cannons as fast as you can!:D

Once you've destroyed that base you can leave all the units and the resources will be monopolized nicely.

That's a pretty good strategy. No wonder the protoss don't have a lurker equivalent :-). I just remembered another way to take out siege tanks: grab a shuttle/transport/overlord w. sacs and drop your gathering units on top of the siege tanks. The neighboring siege tanks will automatically fire on the dropped unit, as well as cause massive splash damage on the area you just dropped your unit on. You get to call on their artillery :). If that doesn't work, there's always the reaver drop:D

topicolo
Aug 2, 2002, 02:09 PM
All this talk about starcraft is getting me excited. Maybe I should install that sucker again...

mischief
Aug 2, 2002, 03:19 PM
I typically just play vs. the computer cuz I have BW installed @ home where it's Dial-up only so I often do evil things to torture the AI's including the "Killer Drones" Technique pioneered by a buddy of mine.

You build up your ground Armor, Shields and Weapons, then send out 2-4 drones to build an emplacement of 1-2 pylons and 8-12 Cannons right in the middle of an AI base camp. You lose a few cannons but typically the tide turns and your little drone has just killed off an AI, and all you've done is build up to having Cannons and upgrading the tech.... You don't even waste time/resources on Zealots, just keep pumping out drones and entreanching all the resources you can find.... then you just assign the drones to harvest and go make a sandwitch. :D

Durandal7
Aug 2, 2002, 03:52 PM
I typically just play vs. the computer cuz I have BW installed @ home where it's Dial-up only so I often do evil things to torture the AI's including the "Killer Drones" Technique pioneered by a buddy of mine.

There's something oddly sastifying about tormenting the AI.

djwoolf
Aug 4, 2002, 02:41 AM
So how did the games go this weekend? i ment to join up w/ you guys, but i had car trouble.

job
Aug 5, 2002, 04:47 PM
I've got another replay for you guys.

I'm the Protoss in the lower left corner that eventually builds a solid fleet of carriers.