Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I tried it once when it was first released, and I haven't touched it since. I simply don't see a reason to.

What do you in Home that makes it worthwhile?

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I tried it once when it was first released, and I haven't touched it since. I simply don't see a reason to.

What do you in Home that makes it worthwhile?

A complete waste of time, with difficult to use controls and fiddly interaction between users. I've popped back in each time there's been an update and really there's been nothing enticing enough to make it stick.

The most annoying thing about the whole PS3 platform is that every other time i go to play a game, use Home, the sodding machine declares a 70MB patch is required and is basically unusable for 30 mins.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
home is the equivalent of coverflow on the iPod.

I disagree, whilst coverflow on a traditional clickwheel ipod is difficult, on a touch or iPhone it's a beautiful thing.

Comparing either to PS3 Home though is really undeserved, Home is a monstrous travesty of interface design, coverflow not so much.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
home is the equivalent of coverflow on the iPod.

I partially agree. Home is a nice 'world' to spend a first few introductory minutes in, and like Coverflow, you see the beauty and the potential but not the function.

I don't play that much so I don't have that many ppl in PSN to actually bother. It's also a royal pain to get from place to place (haven't figured out how to run).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nope.... And i don't know anyone who does. Its surprising how many people were bigging up home and touting it as the killer live application for the PS3, and yet they too rarely if ever use it. Playstation Home is a nice idea in principal. Nice ideas dont necessarily translate into something good in practice.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
The podcasts say that Sony is making a fistful of money on Home so I doubt they care that most people think its lame. The old 80% buy nothing, 10% buy a little bit and 10% buys A LOT.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Seems like people do since the thing is making Sony a bucket load of cash and getting attention from big third party developers so I can't knock their hustle. I have a few friends that check out the space in Home but I'm not interested in it....well not until they make it seamless.

Might seem useless to us PS3 user that don't venture in the virtual world but it seems to generate a lot of users and cash.

Bless

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I've tried it a few times.. decked out my waterfront apartment :D, dressed up my character, went bowling.... even met a few people!

See, this really has no appeal to me. I guess I am not their target demographic.

Sounds like they're working on the launching-games-directly-from-Home thing. Maybe this will change something. Not sure exactly what though. :confused:

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Is the PS home, a sim-like game/world? You have to pay for stuff?

Yeah, it is pretty similar to the Sims, but you only have and control one character (unless you create multiple PSN accounts). You do have to download a few things before utilising them (such as the bowling alley, movie theatre... they're all about 35-40MB each). The actual game is for free, however, some items (such as clothing and furniture) cost real money.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I used it alot till they took out open Mic chat after that not as much im starting to use it more again the contetnt they been adding has been great. The next patch will be huge they will add universal game launching Singstar club/dance room audi car space and in game screen shot taking it will be intresting to see how it goes.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
i have dabbled in it, but to be honest, unless they execute as advertised as a medium to launch games, organize parties for games, etc, then in my mind it will be an afterthought since it takes so much time to login when i just can pop in a disc and get online that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.