Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Hey everyone,

I'm working on this idea for an app, and now that I have the SDK, I'm jumping right in.

Something that confuzzles me, though: I'm not sure which template to use for what I'm trying to do. The whole Navigation Bar vs. Toolbar vs. Tab Bar thing is kinda hindering my progress.

What I want is much like the Facebook app kind of layout with a Tab Bar (that has five buttons) at the bottom and a toolbar at the top with different buttons for every tab. Also, if possible, I'd like to have a sort of title/loading screen too. I was going with title screen, but I'm not sure which dimensions I would use for the picture (since the Tab Bar and Toolbar would take up parts of the screen, whereas with a loading screen they wouldn't).

One more question: I don't understand how the Tab Bar icons, the actual pictures, are supposed to be formatted. Again, going with the Facebook app as an example, should I make the .png's a certain size/color? Are there standard icons? Same question for the Toolbar icons.

Thank you to anyone willing to help me out a bit.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Something that confuzzles me, though: I'm not sure which template to use for what I'm trying to do. The whole Navigation Bar vs. Toolbar vs. Tab Bar thing is kinda hindering my progress.
I'd either start with a Tab-Bar template or a Windows-based one and roll all your own tab bar controllers, etc. The latter is my recommendation since you get better control over how everything is put together.

Also, if possible, I'd like to have a sort of title/loading screen too. I was going with title screen, but I'm not sure which dimensions I would use for the picture (since the Tab Bar and Toolbar would take up parts of the screen, whereas with a loading screen they wouldn't).
Normally a title/loading screen is achieved by just adding a Default.png to your app bundle. It should be 320x480.

One more question: I don't understand how the Tab Bar icons, the actual pictures, are supposed to be formatted. Again, going with the Facebook app as an example, should I make the .png's a certain size/color? Are there standard icons? Same question for the Toolbar icons.
It sounds like you haven't looked through the iPhone Application Programming Guide or the iPhone Human Interface Guidelines doc. You should.

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks a lot for your help.

I've come quite a way because of it. Now, I've run into another speedbump, however.

I've made my TabView controller-based app, but for one of the tabs I want to make a webview. Because I've started and built my entire project with Interface Builder, it makes it difficult to follow this very helpful tutorial: http://www.iphonedevcentral.org/tutorials.php?page=ViewTutorial&id=40&uid=5142498.

I do want the finished product to look like the one in the tutorial, but I'm not sure how to go about making an effective WebView using IB. Can anyone help me with that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.