Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

121214-ebay1-1.jpg
121214-ebay3-1.jpg

eBay's iPhone app has received an upgrade to version 1.4.0 and now includes push notifications and the ability to pay with PayPal directly from the app. The new push notification feature can let users know when they have been outbid or when the auction of a watched item is about to end.

The App Store description officially lists the following new features:
- Optimized for 3.0 OS
- Integrated Pay with PayPal support
- Push notifications for outbid events and watched items
- Recent detailed seller feedback
- Completed items search
- Description search
Push notifications became available with the iPhone 3.0 firmware update that was released on June 17th. Since that time, a number of apps have been updated to take advantage of this new feature, including instant messaging apps AIM and Beejive, Zillow Real Estate, and others.

The eBay app is free and can be found here (link opens iTunes) in the App Store.

Article Link: Push Notifications Come to eBay iPhone App

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
omg i was waiting for this since 2005. very exciting and happy to hear they made this discovery and added the push.

i did not see this coming in a million years.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
eBay Mobile just became significantly more powerful. It could be a desktop replacement at this point. Way to go!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I took the eBay app off my iPhone b/c I quit using eBay for anything other than checking current sale prices on something that's overpriced and being bid on by the Nigerian scamming class.....:eek::eek::eek:
For every person like you who leaves, there's probably somebody increasing their use as it gets easier and easier to participate from mobile devices.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I took the eBay app off my iPhone b/c I quit using eBay for anything other than checking current sale prices on something that's overpriced and being bid on by the Nigerian scamming class.....:eek::eek::eek:

Just turn off international bidders in your options. Two weeks ago I sold my old iPhone 3g 16gb for $371.88 on eBay. I was more than happy with that amount.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Remember last year when the eBay app first came out? It was so amateurish, very "my first app" in look and functionality.

It has grown into a very capable app, and very functional. The aesthetics looks much improved as well. Bravo!

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
hmmm, not a fan of ebay, really. craigslist is more my preference. this obviously has huge potential for ebay customers, though. i would love to see this for craigs list, but doubt that will happen.

Cupra

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
London, UK
just a warning and i hope its fixed

i had my reminder time set to 60 mins.. i got a notification and then thought yeah i want it to now remind me again when there is 15 mins so i changed the frequency to 15 mins or what ever, and i DIDNT receive a second notifications and lost out on the bid :(

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
No push notification for sellers? I was selling my old MacBook Pro 2 weeks ago and checking the eBay app at least every 5 minutes on my iPhone for bids. I need push notifications for sellers.

cw18

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
Has anyone got the ebay app working on unlocked/jailbroken phones ? Im on vodafone and it doesn't work whilst on voda network (UK) on WIFI or o2 sim it works fine...

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Sounds like there are some bugs to work out, but the eBay app with push sure promises to be useful for sellers and buyers alike. Looking forward to its maturity.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
I cant find notifications in the current ebay app, Im in iOS7
any help!
I need notifications of my watch list items!!! Im sick to loose items! just because I forget it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.