Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hi.

I just installed darwiinremote and I got my wiimote hooked up and all, but in order for it to actually be worth something I would need an IR sensor as well. So I was thinking if you can buy a converter that lets the Wii sensor bar plug into the Mac Mini or if there's a similar and cheap sensor bar for the mac mini?

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I dont think so, cause the IR camera on the front of the Wiimote needs two lights, and they should be centered above or below my TV. All the Wii sensor bar does it create these two lights (one on the left side and one on the right side) and the wiimote picks em up

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
yeah and I think it kinda sucks. I need my precision but my laser mouse won't work on all surfaces (like my bed sheet hehe), so I was thinking the Wiimote solution would be cool.. Theres no sensor bar similar to the wii one just for mac, are there?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
If your expecting Darwiin Remote to be able to let you use a Wiimote as good as you use it on your Wii, your wrong. Unless it has been updated, all it does is let you tilt it left to right to move it left and right, and move it up and down to move up and down. But the movement sucks.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
As mentioned mate u need the wireless bar as it connects via Bluetooth and works perfectly.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Word I might get the wireless bar.. But I was wondering how long it'll last before I have to change the batteries in it? I dont wanna use a whole lot of batteries all the time..

Also, it controls just as well on the mac as on wii as long as I use the IR controls, right?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Word I might get the wireless bar.. But I was wondering how long it'll last before I have to change the batteries in it? I dont wanna use a whole lot of batteries all the time..

Also, it controls just as well on the mac as on wii as long as I use the IR controls, right?

I somehow doubt you can get it working on your Mac as well as your Wii. It's only a novelty that wears off pretty quickly.

mZex

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2009
Reading
If your Wii is anywhere near - you could turn the Wii on and use that to power the sensor bar, and move the bar to where you need it ( cable is just for power after all )

:apple:

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
The wii sensor bar is just 2 diodes, the cable connector is to supply power. You can simulate the bar with 2 candles or you could get a wireless sensor bar (battery powered).

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Yeah the "sensor" bar is actually just 2 infrared lights set a fixed distance apart. The Wiimote is actually the sensor. So all you need to make it work are 2 IR lights* the correct distance apart. The best way to test out different bulbs/candles/whatever is to go into the calibration screen in the Wii settings and verify that you can see white dots on the screen when pointing the Wiimote at whatever light source you are using.

*many incandescent bulbs also give off enough IR to work...christmas tree lights for example.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Man too much hassle :) especially if it doesnt work as smoothly as on wii. thanks though, this is always a great place to find help on mac issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.