Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
So I'm looking for a file management system which I can host to allow my clients to download their own files from my server. Is there something like this? I want one that allows me to use passwords.

Jun 30, 2009
Well... the easiest way to do this is make your IP public (I think it's an ISP matter), and... well... write some PHP. An HTTP-Authorization header. That's how browser FTP access works.

As to CMS, one word (there might be two, actually, but, well... :) ): Wordpress. Powerful, yet easy to install, and I can already think of how you create tags for each file, increasing its search accuracy, making the posts hidden to the public, close registration, and create an account for each user you want to have access to the files.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Well... the easiest way to do this is make your IP public (I think it's an ISP matter), and... well... write some PHP. An uploading script + an HTTP-Authorization header. That's how browser FTP access works.

is there premade systems out there where I can just upload onto my server?

Jun 30, 2009
I've edited my above post. And you could also use a forum system (phpBB), where you create only a hidden forum, available to those who registered, and have been given special privileges by you. Be creative, there are a lot of options :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.